Author Topic: Posting copyrighted material.  (Read 1478 times)

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Posting copyrighted material.
« on: September 24, 2010, 11:26:24 AM »
Folks, I am sorry I have to bring this up again, but I must reminded you.

GBO Copyright Notices

GBO CONTENT :

All content here at Graybeard Outdoors (herein as GBO) is copyrighted material, no reproduction or display of the material located at GBO can be used with out the written consent of the copyright holder. Material posted by the GBO Administrators is copyrighted Graybeard Outdoors Enterprises unless otherwise noted. All content posted by members and/or moderators is copyrighted by that member or moderator.

All posts to the GBO forums are considered "Intellectual Property", this is copyrighted material and may not be copied or reproduced in whole or part to be displayed unless on the GBO web site without the original authors permission.

There is a second element to this.

GBO Terms of Use Policy and Privacy Statement READ IT !!

GBO Terms of Use Policy & Privacy Statement.

Graybeard Outdoors and its Administrators reserve the right to refuse access to the Graybeard Outdoors websites to anyone without explanation. GBO in agreement with its members displays its members copyrighted "Intellectual Property" for display in an open forum like  manner on the Graybeard Outdoors websites and other GBO publications. The GBO website is privately owned and operated by Graybeard Outdoors Enterprises. By your continued use of the GBO website you AGREE TO and ACCEPT the following terms of use as outlined below.

The use or posting of copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or you have prior consent is not allowed. Anyone doing so is subject to removal from the GBO website for a length of time to be determined by the GBO Administration

Just as the material you post here is your intellectual property, the material others post elsewhere on the internet is their intellectual property and is fully protected. 

It is common and acceptable practice to quote the works of others.  The quote must include full accreditation and source. But generally you should have permission of the copyright holder to do this.

For full and complete details on the law on this subject,  I suggest you contact a Copyright Attorney.

The practice of copying the link to a photo and posting it here will no longer be allowed unless it is quoted and fully accredited.  Fully accredited means Owners name, title of work and location of the work.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Posting copyrighted material.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 12:03:01 PM »
I assume you are PMing those who you are having problems with.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Online Double D

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 12:43:45 PM »

There have been some discussion off line...I will be PM'ing and deleting if necessary.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 01:06:45 PM »
Ahhhh yes.  The famous question: what's the difference between plagerism and research?

The answer in one word: footnotes.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 02:29:06 PM »

George,
I'm the culprit, but I wasn't purposely trying to be a problem; to the contrary, I honestly thought I was doing something that would be perceived as sharing.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 02:57:44 PM »
One never knows with general statements like these and I do not attribute every image I post.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 04:41:08 PM »
Boom J,
Those pictures were amoung the finest work I have yet seen on this forum.  I wasn't finished looking at them.
I understand the rules but wish I could still look at those fine creations.
Maybe "Ed" will step forward.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Online Double D

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »

George,
I'm the culprit, but I wasn't purposely trying to be a problem; to the contrary, I honestly thought I was doing something that would be perceived as sharing.

John did not  have to say anything, he certainly is not being singled out.  I will also assure you he is not the only one to have been PM'ed.   This is directed to all of us.  I can not say my house is clean. I am guilty of it in the past, and  just as unknowingly.

You don't have to attribute your own work.  Some one else work you must attribute.

When the Morko picture where posted on the other board, there was no ill intent.  Dan was not attributed.  We reported it to that forums administrator and the took care of it.  

If we complain about someone taking our work and posting it else where, then we better be sure we are not guilty of the same conduct.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 11:15:04 PM »
where is the line between right and wrong here ??
I got thousands of pictures collected during the years from the internet in my computer that I have no idea where they com from . so they cant be used here now , only for my personal joy and research if I understand you correct here .

isnt it alloved to put in links here either to interesting pictures ??

2 good examples where I have violated this rules is all drawings from arkeliet and all pictures from the swedish army museum that I put up here .

would it be enough to put in a line telling: "this photos comes from name name and so on" ??

this is good out of a copyright wiew, but it will also restrain us a lot of using old saved pictures that we dont even remember where they came from .
the only pictures that Im really sure of publishing here from now would then be the pictures I have taken by myself , and then it wouldnt be many of them . so I guess this forum will be a lot more boring from now .

but thats the way it must be when following the rules and laws , and of course we should do that .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Online Double D

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 03:30:25 AM »
where is the line between right and wrong here ??
I got thousands of pictures collected during the years from the internet in my computer that I have no idea where they com from . so they cant be used here now , only for my personal joy and research if I understand you correct here .

So do I Dan.  If you can't attribute or provide accrediation they cna't be posted here.

isnt it alloved to put in links here either to interesting pictures ??

2 good examples where I have violated this rules is all drawings from arkeliet and all pictures from the swedish army museum that I put up here .

Dan you have always creditted the arkeliet stuff you have posted.  What you posted would be considered a quote. 

would it be enough to put in a line telling: "this photos comes from name name and so on" ??

Yes that's right whose work is it and where did it come from.

this is good out of a copyright wiew, but it will also restrain us a lot of using old saved pictures that we dont even remember where they came from .
the only pictures that Im really sure of publishing here from now would then be the pictures I have taken by myself , and then it wouldnt be many of them . so I guess this forum will be a lot more boring from now .

but thats the way it must be when following the rules and laws , and of course we should do that .

We all just need to take better notes when we save stuff that is all.  And give the owner credit for his work.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 10:51:13 AM »
Simple...make the damn thing and post pics.   you could cut back on womanising Dan.........producing barrels would be much better for your health ..........wealth...........well ok I won't go too far.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 11:57:03 AM »
who ?? meeeeeeeee ?????

ooooohh nooooo

Im way too old to think about women
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 12:19:44 PM »
who ?? meeeeeeeee ?????

ooooohh nooooo

You're not fooling me.  You're never to old to stop thinking about women.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 02:00:24 PM »
who ?? meeeeeeeee ?????

ooooohh nooooo

What does age have to do with it?   ;D

I think we're a LITTLE off topic. 

Hmmm.  Women.   On topic.   Hmmm.  AHhhhh yes,  Saint Barbara!

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Online Double D

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 02:14:11 PM »
I'm old and I think about women, just can't remember why.

What I can remember about women is they have been responsible for reducing my cannon shooting activities.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 03:45:41 PM »
If I were to use an image from Modern Guns and Mortars Adopted in the United States Land Service, Their Carriages, Projectiles, Fuzes and Sights which was published in 1895 by the Government Printing Office, I should not be violating anyone's copyright since it has expired.  Similarly, drawings made by old artists of old stuff, even though reproduced in a more modern publication, should be public domain. 

Now I am no copyright attorney so this isn't legal advice but we have to apply some common sense (I know, it is a legal issue but bear with me) here or we will lose the main feature of the internet, the ability to link to other sources of information so one can further research a subject if he cares to.  A link to the source should be a satisfactory way of attribution.

Since we are not usually displaying fine art here, a simple solution is to take an image editor and add a line in an inconspicuous part of the picture recording its source.  Here is an example:

This was done with a free image editor called Irfanview.  Also, the image can be clicked to go to the source site.  The most difficult thing to do is going to be making this a habit.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Online Double D

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 05:45:46 PM »
George,

It doesn't to be that fancy. Like this.

From the Fields of Thunder Museum http://www.fieldsofthunder.com/content/mortars.html

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 05:53:52 PM »
The logic behind putting the source in the image is that the source ID stays with the image without any additional record keeping effort.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Online Double D

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 06:13:09 PM »
The logic behind putting the source in the image is that the source ID stays with the image without any additional record keeping effort.

Watermarking...my Photo host has provisions for doing that.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 12:04:28 PM »
just said I was too old to   T H I N K   about them
nothing else  ::)

all my cannons are female , so Im on topic   ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 03:01:15 PM »

BRAVO !!!!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 07:41:24 PM »
 ;D  they can be used in a lot of other ways
of course its still my cannons Im talking about  :-[
I have been living as a single for too long time to know anything else  :(
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 03:33:43 AM »
;D  they can be used in a lot of other ways
of course its still my cannons Im talking about  :-[
I have been living as a single for too long time to know anything else  :(

Way too much information Dan!  We don't want to know what other uses for your cannons. :D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 08:54:07 AM »
I miss "thelionspaw"; his irreverant sense of humor could usually be depended upon to put things in there proper perspective, or failing that, at least it would serve to put a smile back on my face.

Hey Dan, I'll bet you didn't know that I posted the "Arkeliet" site here before you were a member. Now I'm not bragging mind you, but it was mentioned on this thread, and I became curious to see if I provided the source when I originally posted the site address. Well I went a searchin', and I'll be danged if I'm not in all probability guilty of certain criminal activities going back for some time now. I sure hope that all these recent helicopter sightings in the sky over my house are only a coincidence.  :) ;D :D

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,98545.msg1098258443/topicseen.html#msg1098258443

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 11:56:29 AM »
well boom j , what can I say more than  "nothing is new under the sun"

but dont be so sure that it is a coincedent with the helicopters
it could be the federal forum police  ;D

its not that long ago so you cant feel safe yet

ok a bit serious again
when just providin a link to another place on internet I cant see any problems of any kind
you havent violated anything then , just told people in what direction they should look .

zulu
how about birthday salutes and as a race starter ??   ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 08:17:33 AM »
Dan: "well boom j , what can I say more than  "nothing is new under the sun"."

Agreed Dan, "the more things change, the more they remain the same", is a favorite quote of mine; but this is only an accurate statement if you're an optimist, if you're a pessimist you soon realize that things usually have a tendency to get worse. ;)

Dan,
Don't despair, we will simply share all this information in private. Even before becoming an unwitting participant in this latest vanishing act, I had been giving some serious thought to just how many members here are really interested in 'the hysterical stuff' as Tim likes to call it (not many, maybe a handful), and whether it was even worth the effort of posting this type of information and photo history here. I too have a ship load of saved photos with no sources recorded, and if you ever need/request something, whether you post the request on the open forum or ask on a PM, if I've got it then consider it to also be yours; and I hope that others here that have bulging artillery photo files will do the same (we know who you are :D).

BTW, anyone else who is interested in getting the photos of the miniature artillery models that I had posted on the board, just ask.     

Online Double D

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 10:06:49 AM »
well boom j , what can I say more than  "nothing is new under the sun"

but dont be so sure that it is a coincedent with the helicopters
it could be the federal forum police  ;D

its not that long ago so you cant feel safe yet

ok a bit serious again
when just providin a link to another place on internet I cant see any problems of any kind
you havent violated anything then , just told people in what direction they should look .

zulu
how about birthday salutes and as a race starter ??   ;D

Dan providing the link to the other website is the key.  It's the same as quoting a paragraph for a book, ec[et the name of the book ins the link to the website.  You can even copy a picture and post, but you have post the link to the website where the picture came form. 

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2010, 02:05:51 PM »
ok , so new pictures where you know their origin isnt any problem .
its just all those old pictures without any info thats a problem
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Online Double D

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 06:51:32 PM »
ok , so new pictures where you know their origin isnt any problem .
its just all those old pictures without any info thats a problem

Old pictures from the original source are no problem the copyrights have expired.  Old pictures take from some ones website must be quoted.