Author Topic: Black Dot  (Read 670 times)

Offline bckskin2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Black Dot
« on: September 25, 2010, 05:57:56 AM »
Grafs has Alliant Powder Black Dog that is claimed to be virtually non-corrosive. Has any one tried it? I know many of the BP replacement are at least as corrosive as BP

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Black Dot
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 06:41:00 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bckskin2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 06:51:31 AM »
No, Alliant Black Dot. Page 236 of my Grafs catalog.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 07:06:44 AM »
It's apparently not available yet, it's not listed on the Alliant site, an internet search indicates it's just repackaged Black Mag made by MDM, and considering the MDM plant explosion in May,  production may be delayed.

Tim

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/default.aspx

http://www.randywakeman.com/2010BlackPowderBPSubRoundUp.htm

IV. Black Mag 3 / Black Mag XP / Alliant Black Dot

Black Mag, another ascorbic acid based propellant, has been both horribly bad and very good in times past. It has suffered from horrible production and packaging problems. A couple of bottles I had were just solid masses-- nothing you could possibly measure, much less load.

A later batch was very, very good-- and, it got a great review based on its performance at http://www.chuckhawks.com/black_mag3.htm . Then, it vanished from the market once again. A couple of years ago I was told it was “back and better than ever,” as it was now being handled by MDM out of Maine. So good, in fact, that I've yet to see the first bottle of it. It seems that MDM still had production problems and distribution problems.

At the 2010 SHOT Show, Alliant announced their “new blackpowder sub, BLACK DOT.” As it turns out, Alliant has been testing and helping MDM get it right, and they have reached a marketing agreement with MDM. Alliant has a good name and good distribution, two things that Black Mag has never had. The name would seem to indicate that it compliments the traditional premium Alliant double-based shotshell powder line of Red Dot, Green Dot, and Blue Dot. Whoever named it really has the creative juices of an amoeba, but I guess these things happen.

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 07:15:56 AM »
Sounds like yet another solution in search of a problem. If Goex has any luck in getting the BATF to relax storage restrictions on blackpowder then everyone can get the good stuff even at Walmart. But anything which depends on sensible action from the BATF is sort of like spitting into the wind. ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.