Author Topic: Tumbling primed brass  (Read 1240 times)

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
Tumbling primed brass
« on: September 25, 2010, 07:20:51 AM »
Dumped a bunch of brass into the tumbler and didn't notice 1/2 were primed.  Just shooting cast bullets out of this batch.  Any concerns?

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
Re: Tumbling primed brass
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 07:28:06 AM »
Iv'e never had an issue. Mine have always went bang when the trigger was pulled,but I live in a dry climate.Don't know the hydroscopic value of the media you use. Walnut shells probably don't absorb much moisture,but corn media would.

Offline saddlebum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 07:44:45 AM »
Any media that finds it's way into the flash hole in the brass would cause inconsistant ignition and accuracy will suffer to some extent. I don't know as it would cause a misfire though, unless some media dust gets behind the anvil in the primer. (maybe)

I wouldn't bet my life on such ammo, but it sounds like you are not doing that.
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline Castaway

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 10:22:55 AM »
The primer should easily blow out any media stuck, although I wouldn't do anything but plink with it.  You should be able to look at each piece and pick out any media with a paper clip if it's not loaded yet

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 01:33:36 PM »
Sticking a paper clip into the flash hole of primed brass would not be my first thought unless I was looking for a little exceiment.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 02:11:57 PM »
You could also try Franklin Arsenal Tuff-nut or their corn cob media.  Size of granules is smaller than most others and I get no stuck flash holes since using this.  I use Tuff-nut only, because my wife is allergic to corn cobs and has fits sneezing if I have the dust on me.  I tumble out in the garage also, so as she gets in the car she started having fits after 1 try.  I use 1 packet of RCBS dry powdered brass polish and add a new packet about every 2000 cases or when it seems to start taking longer to shine up.  I also put 1 sheet of dry paper towel in the top of my tumbler lid and it seems to grab most of the dust coming off the Tuff-nut media.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 03:34:11 PM »
Some of the media additives contained petrolem distillates at one time.  Not sure what they contain now but if you are using one that does it may have contaminated the primers and cause fail to fire or weak and erratic ignition.

Plus one on what Larry said ;D

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 07:26:47 PM »
Thanks guys :D  Going to fire that batch at the range getting ready for deer season.  Not shooting for tiny groups as all shooting will be off hand at 100 yards.  Minute of deer ;) 

I had a primer go off once as I picked at it with my finger to get it unstuck on the press :o  That one made me jump and put the sting to my finger :o 

We are lucky to be able to use this website as there is so much good information here;D

Thanks,

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 02:36:06 AM »
ive tumbled primed brass and even loaded ammo for years without a single problem.
blue lives matter

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 03:48:14 PM »
I prime all my brass efore tumbling.  I have never had a problem at all, and I would bet my life on it.
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.