Author Topic: No NEF 16 gauge  (Read 2058 times)

Offline JoseBob

• Trade Count: (16)
No NEF 16 gauge
« on: September 27, 2010, 08:00:22 AM »
I noticed about a month ago that H&R 1871 had removed the 16 ga. barrel from their available selections.  I have been wanting one since the sear is slipping on my old Steven's Mod. 94C.  I called the Customer Service number and asked if they had just one that was laid back or even forgotten about.  The Rep was very cordial, but informed me that there just was not anymore and they did not intend on resuming production.  To say the least, I was displeased with his answer. 

So maybe if there is a great demand for the venerable "Sweet 16", production could be restarted.  One can only hope. 

Just as a side note, I went squirrel hunting this weekend, in an area that requires steel shot only.  I took my 22" barrel, modified choke, 20 ga. with 3 in. mag #4 shot.  I figured that this would work pretty well for mr. bushy tail.  Boy was I wrong.  I got no penetration.  Seamed that the pellets just bounced off of em.  Another hunter used a 28" barrel 12 ga. with # 6 Steel shot.  He did manage to kill 2, but 4 others that he hit just ran off.
Draw a fine bead on em Son!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: No NEF 16 gauge
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 08:13:47 AM »
I've had 2 and let them get away.  If I find another it won't.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 01:47:52 PM »
If this is true (and it looks as if it is) it is a sad thing. A classic single H&R in the classic 16 guage chambering (I have one) is a fine upland and general use shotgun, and it shoots forster style shotgun slugs like a rifle and with the bead alone is deadly to about 75 yards. I missed another a couple of months ago because I did not go right to the store and buy it. The next one will I see for sale will take up residence beside the one I already have. A "sweet 16" is the real thing....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 02:25:57 PM »
I just bought a 16 gauge 870 and returned it to nearly new condition.....me likey likey....
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 02:44:03 PM »
I have a H&R 16 gauge in my hand ready for Grouse tomorrow.   Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 04:50:44 PM »
all the best with the "Partridge" hunt Larry....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 05:09:32 PM »
not to redirect the topic, but to address the steel shot issue.
 steel slows down so fast and loses it power, its hardly worth hunting with unless you have a 12 gauge and are eye to eye with the critter

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 05:21:33 PM »
Just as a side note, I went squirrel hunting this weekend, in an area that requires steel shot only. 

Steel shot, or non-toxic shot? There's a big difference in performance as well as requirement.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 06:56:52 PM »
Unfortunately there is also the commensurate increase in price. I pay taxes to support conservation areas here in Missouri that I cannot hunt on because I cannot afford it. Theoretically of course, I can, but given that the national average on dove is about 1 bird for 6 shells (approx) that would take 3 boxes of shells, or over 2.50 per bird. A daily limit would run almost $50. That would be for steel. The heavi shot and bismuth etc are much more expensive. This is just another way to discourage hunting and shooting. I do miss the 16 ga also, I had an 870 Wingmaster that went for medical bills years ago.
remember the starfish

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 01:40:22 AM »
I use lead.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 04:47:51 AM »
I bought this one this past year, it will be going out hunting a little bit of everything starting this coming weekend. 16 gauge MOD choke.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline marine

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 06:07:25 AM »
  I also have a stevens 94 in 16ga.  Ive never used it though.  It was a gift from my stepdad since it had my name on it.  ive been thinking about using it for squirrel this year.  I usually use a .22 but also take a 12ga full choke with #4 lead shot. This combo goes through the leaves very well.
  My dad hunts with a H&R m48 topper in 20ga and he has taken all sorts of game with that old singleshot.  I havent seen anything run off after being shot.  He swears by #5 low brass and he has a full choke as well.  
  I saw you were using a mod choke and #4 shot on your 20ga and that might help you some.  I do love the pattern of a  mod choke for bunnies but when it comes to shooting through leaves the denser the pattern the better and a #4 or #5 shot is just that much more weight to get the job done.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 06:48:14 AM »
I like the bigger shot because they go all the way through.

Offline JoseBob

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 12:59:03 PM »
I agree when it comes to steel shot, bigger is better.  Iffin I go back to that area I will take my 12 ga. Pardner with #2's. I piked up a box of them years ago and just have not had to use them.  Arkansas State law says that you cannot use any thing larger than "T" shot on squirrels.  So the #2's should work much better.  I sure thought that the 3" mag # 4's would have done better.  But ya live and learn.  Sometimes the hard way.

Draw a fine bead on em Son!