Author Topic: Reloading Bench Help  (Read 1890 times)

Offline zeke08

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Reloading Bench Help
« on: September 28, 2010, 07:54:15 AM »
My reloading bench has finally give up and I'm going to build a new one and was wanting input on what size, shelves or not cabinets or not etc. Maybe some plans? I have some old oak 2x8's 2x10's and 2x12's from my uncle-n-law's garage when he passed away. I was thinking of a 2x12 and a 2x10 for the top (22") and 8' in length??? As always I look forward to everyone's great advice thanks in advance!
There are very few problems that can't be solved with the proper application of High Explosives!

If there is trouble let it be in my day, but let my kids have peace. Thomas Pane

NRA Life Member since 09

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Reloading Bench Help
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 09:17:49 AM »
I'd actually recommend a piece of 4x8x1/2" sanded ply screwed on top of the bench (on top of the 2xwhatevers you decide to use).  A ready made flat surface.  I actually wimped out and found a 4x8 work bench kit with all the precut pieces at home depot...maybe 15-20 years ago.  It was really cheap, like 40 bucks or less.  I bought it cause at the time, I was work'n 3 jobs and needed something that I could put together quick and get up and loading.  I screwed the ply to the top and have used it for a couple of decades.....
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 12:38:15 PM »
I used 2 layers of Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF), glued and screwed together.  For support, I used 2x4's underneath to make cleats on the wall and for "stiff back" to keep the table top from sagging.  I used 4x4's under each press that are screwed to the floor, and the top of the table is screwed to the top of the 4x4.  The "stiff back" is also screwed to the 4x4 legs.  I think my bench is about the same width that you have in mind, about 20" or so.  You can't have too much space!

I didn't want my bench bowing under any pressure, up or down.  I painted the top with exterior house paint.

The oak planks you have sound great!  Just make sure you screw them to some sort of frame underneath or even those mighty oak planks will sag or split. I wouldn't leave too much "free span" between supports that go down to the floor.  You can exert A LOT of pressure up and down with a reloading press sometimes.  Like I said, you can't have too much space, but make sure you spend a few $$ on braces underneath so it won't be moving around, and don't scrimp on the screws and glue.

It's not that any old table top wouldn't do, but since  you're building it, you might as well as build it as if you expected elephants to dance on it!

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 04:46:32 PM »
+1 on the MDF.  It really doesn't look half bad with a coat of stain and varnish:

Although it is not my reloading bench it would serve very well.

Here is my reloading bench:

It is a commercial sewing machine table and is rock solid as well.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 08:51:24 AM »
Building a reloading bench is pretty personal thing.  My last one was made attached to the wall of my shed; 28"x72" mostly because that's the space available. 2x4 framework screwed directly to the wall studs. I used two 1/2" pieces of plywood screwed/glued together for the top for strength and stability. On the sruds/wall behind the bench I put the largest piece of pegboard that would fit; from bench top to roof, the length of the bench. Some time (when I find time) I'll put a "Masonite" type top on it to keep it clean, but for now it works fine.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 12:32:21 PM »
MDI said it, it's a personal thing, an like others have said, build it so an elephant can dance on it!!
I went 24" wide, and added 6" wide shelves to the back to stack die boxes and tools, books,,etc. that leaves 18" for a work area and that seems plenty, esp if ya got 8 feet.
Gotta second the sanded Plywood or MDF top. Put a couple coats of varnish/polyurathane (I used Spar). Flat smooth surface, much easier to keep clean with just a damp cloth wipe,
,,and really helps for that inevitable powder spill,,if it's clean you can just gather it all up an put it back in the can uncontaminated.  ;)
found elsewhere

Offline zeke08

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 07:51:41 PM »
Wow great ideas Like the pics to. It is personal I will put my own touches on it. Please keep em coming! I'm looking at 30" wide x 7' long maybe storage cabinets under and shelves on the back maybe 8-10" then peg board above the shelves. Lots of light to see by and I found a butcher block top 36"x7' at a salvage place for $12.00 I might screw and glue to the 2x12"s or would that give to much flex? or just 3/4" plywood( I have ) sanded and sealed with 4-5 coats of polyurethane?? Again thanks for the advice so far when I build it I will try and upload pics if I can figure out how lol!
There are very few problems that can't be solved with the proper application of High Explosives!

If there is trouble let it be in my day, but let my kids have peace. Thomas Pane

NRA Life Member since 09

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 03:25:28 AM »
I'd actually recommend a piece of 4x8x1/2" sanded ply screwed on top of the bench (on top of the 2xwhatevers you decide to use).

That is what I did. My "plywood" just happened to be a sheet of 3/4" Red Oak cabinet grade that I got for a steal at a lumber yard closeout. I shot the screws through the bottom of the 2x stock to secure the wood to the top. The front legs are 4x4 post and the back is secured to a wall starting with 2x6 stock then the 2x4's running parallel across the cross-beams.

I do believe that an elephant could dance on this thing and that is what you want.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 05:06:28 AM »
Goes without saying...it's got to be sturdy.  I've also 4 drilled pilot holes on the left side and then mounted all my presses on "plates" of 3/4" ply so that I can screw them to the bench and then remove them to switch presses.  I suppose most folks perm attach their presses though.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 05:07:35 AM »
I use an old computer desk in a "L" shape. It has upper selfs and two small cabinets along with the lower cabinet where the tower would go. The only modification I did was to put a 4x4 right under my press as an extra leg and support. Works great for me.
GuzziJohn

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 06:10:47 AM »
  My bench top is 2x4. 3/4 plywood glued and screwed to a 2x4 frame.  All my presses are mounted on 5/4 oak and clamped to the bench when i need them. I bought two cheap tupperware type cabinets to store everything in.

Offline bigswede

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 01:00:33 AM »
My bench now is an old, metal desk.  I had to remove one of the drawers o mount my press and cut off some of the fiber board top(which is 2 inches thick) to fit into my space.  Before this I had a 18x24 inch table made of 1" square tubing with a 3/4" plywood top and one small shelf underneath.  I loaded a lot of ammunition on that little table, I sure wouldn't want to go back to it now though ;D
"LIVE TO HUNT, HUNT TO LIVE"

Offline zeke08

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 06:09:54 PM »
Thanks for the great input and ideas! I'm seeing a trend sturdy enough for a elephant to dance on and think ahead make it USABLE!

NRA Life Member since 09

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 04:37:07 AM »
I found a used metal desk that was small 3x4 that just fit the space I had for my loading area. Now if you wont a good top without a lot of work buy yourself a solid birch door from lowes or home depo.not hollow core they have a partical board core with birch on both sides and are very heavy and around 1 1/2 inches thick you can also buy a metal leg set to use with it but once together it is not going anywhere and will last for years.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.