Author Topic: STRANGE STORAGE QUESTION  (Read 1201 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
STRANGE STORAGE QUESTION
« on: September 29, 2010, 05:36:27 PM »
The Hen has got a choke hold on me and it appears that I am bound to do a cruise to Alaska.
My choice is to drive----I lost that arguement.
About the best I can do--from my side of the barn--is get her to agree to drive to Seattle and back.
The trouble with that plan is the cruise she wants to take ships out of Vancouver.
I can't take a weapon into Canada.
Anybody got an idea about storing the weapon in Seattle or somewhere for the duration of the cruise?
I was thinking an airport--but you got to get the gun into the airport---which may be a chore + I don't rememberseeing any locker storages these days.
Got any Ideas?
I REALLY don't want to drive that distance without a gun.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
Re: STRANGE STOAGE QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 08:55:53 PM »
OK, I may be able to help.
I had a similar question from a friend in Texas that wanted to come up my way. I suggested to him to contact a dealer in Bangor to see if he could store the gun(revolver) with him w i t h o u t. having any problems picking it up because of some State Reg.

I'd check with a dealer in WA to see if this is possible there as well.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 09:48:03 PM »
 You could find a Graybeard member in the area to hold it for you?

Lonny

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 01:04:32 AM »
 I can understand your plight. A trustworthy private citizen would be the least costly way to go. A bank safe deposit box for the shortest time should work too. Wrap it up in a unidentifiable package & O.K. it even before you deposit it. Maybe just south of the border in Bellingham, WA.
NRA, Veteran

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
Re: STRANGE STORAGE QUESTION
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 08:46:21 AM »
Pawn it in Seattle. might be cheaper than paying for storage.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 01:28:08 PM »
POWPOW
Next words outta your mouth is offerin to tell me where your pawn shop is in Seattle and offering to give me top dollar for it-- ;) ;D :-*.
Actually not a bad idea---but again--pawn shops worry me.
I got an Idea---I can drive up empty and get one for coming back---naw, that won't work either.
Woe is me.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 03:47:31 PM »
Don't own a Pawn Shop. Just know they have some grace period where you can pay back the "loan", before they sell it.  
Also, there is that old story about the guy who pawned his Rolls Royce for a very small amount because the interest on the small loan was cheaper than parking in New York City.

There's always the old bus station locker.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 07:53:11 AM »

There's always the old bus station locker.

I haven't been to a bus station in ages but think lockers are no longer available same as in airports. Those lockers make dandy places for bombs.

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 08:14:33 AM »
If you are driving up there in your own car you have to find secure storage for it. Lock the gun up in the trunk. Under the spare tire or something where it is hidden. There are some pretty secure storage places these days with electronic security and such. And if anything should happen to your car, your insurance would cover it. Don't know the cost effectiveness of that idea over a rental car, if that was your plan.
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 02:22:21 PM »
If you take it to a dealer/FFL holder - he is required by law to enter into his bound book - to get it out, since you live in another state - would require the 1st dealer to ship it to a second dealer in your home state who would be required to run a background check on you before turning it back over to you.  Your talking at least 100 bucks for this rigamarole. 
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 02:35:29 PM »
Well, legal issues aside, I know a group of guys once who headed up to Canada on a bear hunt.  Just before the border, one of them mentioned the .357 he had in his back pack.  We (I mean they  ::)) pulled over in a rural area just before the border, found a good landmark, and buried the gun in a zip lock plastic bag.  Picked it up on the return trip.

Locking it in the trunk under the tire is as good as anything.  Since 9-11, I don't know about the privacy of airport and bus station lockers..

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 06:44:20 PM »
See if Kesselring in Alder, WA is still in business and if they are willing to accept your firearm without them needing to return it to your home State.

Offline southernutah

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 08:11:46 PM »
years ago on a trip back east I tucked a small pistol in a little box and tucked it up under the dash above the glove box for a short period of time.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 04:59:21 AM »
I would stash it in the car myself.  I have one of those lockable metal gun boxes with a cable that you can wrap around a seat frame or strut in your trunk.  It is also predrilled if you want to permanently mount it to the floor of your trunk.

Even if you get pulled over by a traffic cop the likelihood of them searching your vehicle is very slim unless you drive a ghetto glider and dress like a gangbanger.   The one and only time a traffic cop ever asked me if I had any weapons in the vehicle I replied "Does a pocket knife count as a weapon?".  The cop didn't even crack a smile but he said "No, that's fine." and that conversation ended there.   ;D   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 08:21:02 AM »
What would be the legalities of having that pistol professionally cleaned while you are on that trip. Not stored or otherwise put in hawk just dropped off for a good cleaning and "I'll be back to get it in about 2weeks".
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline southernutah

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 02:44:24 PM »
If it goes to a FFL dealer you will have to do back ground check to get it back even if it is just a good cleaning. Take a decent but not your favorite and hide it in the car.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 04:10:55 PM »
I am assuming a background check would not be a problem. Is this because of the out of state thing or is this routine. I ask because I've never needed any gunsmithing.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
Long arms are not too bad.
Handguns are more, well, they pay attention to them.
The problem is with where we will depart from---Canada.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline TOGO

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 04:14:54 AM »
As posted before, your best and safest bet is to open a safety deposit box at a bank, it will probably cost you $15.00 but at least you will know it will be there when you get back. You will be in private while you put your guns and valuables in it. They don't have cameras or bank officials standing over you.

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 09:09:14 AM »
Guess I misunderstood your first post and thought you were leaving out of Seattle.
I was looking at some stuff online and I read that the border crossing can be a real pain in the butt with long waits and stuff.
Another alternative is taking Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver. Amtrak Cascades for 2 is 118.00, coach and 144.00 for business class. 4hrs They say scenery is great along the way. Maybe even do Amtrak the whole way, from home? I looked at ferrys and it looked like a real hassle having to go to Victoria and Sidney first, but they say the whale watching and scenery is nice. I'm sure a travel agent would be more helpful for alternatives to driving to Vancouver if you want to look into it. I have to say driving to Vancouver and stepping on a boat sounds easier than making connections along the way. But it's something to look at, maybe.

If you are going to drive all the way to Vancouver, you do have a real conundrum!
I'm personally not too big on leaving my gun with strangers and driving away.

http://www.soren-rosenlund.dk/1Tour_Seattle-Vancouver.htm

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1578609

http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline Brett

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 05:04:19 PM »
Oops.  Saddlebum and I must have gone to the same school.   I thought you were leaving from Seattle also.  A border crossing is a whole other story.  Disregard what I said about locking your piece up in your vehicle and do what others suggested and go with a bank lock box prior to crossing the border. 

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 12:21:58 AM »
Well---the heat has gone from the pepper---at least for the the moment. Looks like the Hen has changed her mind---PTL.
I wan to go to Alaska but I want to drive up there---that won't happen--with this wife---now if'n I was single  ;).
Anywho---thanks for the thoughts---I am sure that someone will have read them and it gave them some ideas.
I was in the midst of checking with the US Border folks---a lady in Canada Border said to contact them--she understands that they have some ideas.Anyway--I never got aroundt to calling because Ann said she would rather go to Colorado for a few days.
At our age we can get tired just talking about a trip.
I like the Colorado and four corners idea better.
My suggestion---which was promply rejected---was a week at the Greenbriar, Kentucky and W.V.---but that is much too simple---She don't know what she is missing.
You know--I thought we got rid of kids and could take some nice fall vacations--weather is good, crowds are down---Alas, she is raising another family of grandkids.
Now you know why I travel alone.
A buddy of mine and I will be headed for Del Rio and the Big Bend in a few weeks---the Ponies are rareing to go.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Brett

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 02:57:15 AM »
Well, happy trails to you wherever you end up going.  if I ever get the chance I would love to do a cruise to Alaska.   

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 03:21:47 AM »
I thought that this was an excellent idea!

My suggestion---which was promply rejected---was a week at the Greenbriar, Kentucky and W.V.---but that is much too simple---She don't know what she is missing.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 03:46:06 AM »
The four corners area is a place everyone ought to see too. I like to travel down there in the early spring before it gets hot there but it is frustration time in Wyo. after ice fishing but before the fish start biting in the spring.

We usually wander back and forth depending on the weather, if it is nasty we may be down near the southern Az. boarder, if it is warm, maybe up in mid Colo. Utah area. Lots to see and do in the whole area.

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 07:46:38 AM »
Guy's,
I can recommend, highly, a cruise to Alaska. The wife and myself, just returned from one and DANG was that place beautiful!
William, I don't know where you'll drive from, but if you were to be flying, you can catch a shuttle from the airport to the docks. Our cruise went out of Seattle but docked in Vancouver on the return. Be sure yours leaves and docks at the same place.

HWD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 09:12:39 AM »
Well, legal issues aside, I know a group of guys once who headed up to Canada on a bear hunt.  Just before the border, one of them mentioned the .357 he had in his back pack.  We (I mean they  ::)) pulled over in a rural area just before the border, found a good landmark, and buried the gun in a zip lock plastic bag.  Picked it up on the return trip.

Locking it in the trunk under the tire is as good as anything.  Since 9-11, I don't know about the privacy of airport and bus station lockers..

Larry
I have heard several say they have done the same thing from time to time. I find a Handgun box with a simplex lock works well . A cable with crimped ends run thru the trigger guard locked to something secure works also. You would need to take transportation into Canada . Or just find a local gunsmith Washington st local to clean and lube your gun while you are away.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !