Author Topic: Model Parrott  (Read 1166 times)

Offline Owen

• Trade Count: (0)
Model Parrott
« on: September 29, 2010, 06:16:21 PM »
http://www.globalgear.com.au/prod2312.htm

So has any one seen this model in real life? was wondering what it is like close up before I spend way to much cash on it.

Thanks
Owen.
Artillery lends dignity to what would other wise be a vulgar brawl.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Re: Model Parrott
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 06:24:21 PM »
I haven't seen it, but it seems like a lot of money to pay for a fake cannon.  Some of the sponsors of this board may be able to make you a real one in that size for close to the same cost.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 10:59:23 PM »
I assume "polystone" is some .au material with another name in the US; perhaps some kind of plaster.  Personally, I would not consider the price excessive for just the carriage if it is as well built as it looks.  I would like more construction details before rendering final judgment.

And then there are the draconian .au gun laws to consider before making it functional.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 12:45:09 AM »
Polystone is a polyethylene resin mixed with stone dust used in cast models and other industries, which has a fine, porcelain like finish and a stone-like look to it.  It's pretty nice stuff for figurines and such, giving a nice level of detail and a bit of heft to the final product.  It's not exclusively an AU thing.

http://www.roechling-plastics.us/rochling.asp?id=273&category=6

It would make for a nice model.  I have a couple of models made with it, and they are higher quality than some other resin based models.  My earlier response is not about it's quality but it's value to me.  A few years back I determined that there was little value in owning a "fake" - decorative weapon of almost any form (I got into blackpowder through my love of knives and swords and have real ones and some really high quality wall hangers).  This is mainly because the real versions really don't cost much more and they're functional.  That being said, if a plastic cannon is what you're after, I'm guessing this would be among the better ones on the market.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 03:35:44 AM »
Owen, I have one of the carriages with a model 1841 6-pounder barrel that I received as a gift. It is a fairly good model with some parts made with very good detail and some parts leaving a lot to be desired. Clearly, it was made using drawings only which the mould makers misinterpreted a good bit. A good model but not worth the asking price.

Max
Max

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 07:36:56 AM »
These 1:6th scale models have a market with the action figure collectors I have a couple of sideshow civilwar figures
that are well done, if they could have made the carraige out of real wood instead of a plastic, at least for those who do
not posess the talent to build one this would have been one way to mount a real tube....... there are a couple of 1:6th
scale models of a British cannon and a French cannon that appear to have wood carraiges but their price is compairable
to the above.

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 12:14:03 AM »
do you got any links so its possible to see them
Im not interested in buying but its always nice to look at

wasnt it some company who sold a very well made napoleon of chinese origin discussed here a while back ??
anyone who remember that ??
I searched but couldnt find it again .
it was a turned steel barrel with a wood carriage
dont remember the price , but it seemed allright at the time when it was discussed  here
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 04:53:06 AM »
I know of a few decent looking small scale models, though no parrotts, but you could buy one of the other models and have a sponsor make a parrott barrel to fit it.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_106_665&products_id=1675

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_106_665&products_id=14078

Dixie offers a few kits for small cannon that range in price from $85 to $275 (http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_106_665).

I've seen small cannon models elsewhere, but can't remember where off hand.

For the parrott barrel, either brooks (http://brooks-usa.com/id5.html) or Dom could make a small scale one at a reasonable price.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 07:15:36 AM »
Owen,
 I've been meaning to post this, but just got round to it. This is the Chinese made model that Dan is talking about (M1841 6-PDR). Forward Observer did end up buying one and he was pleased with it. I did finally get to see one up close and can say that they are well made, the model looks good. You may have your mind set on a Parrott, but if that's not the case and if it were me, I'd pay the extra hundred and go with this one. There must be some outlet that sells them there, if not there is a guy selling them on eBay.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,182311.msg1098890136.html#msg1098890136
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Owen

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 11:19:51 AM »
Thanks Guys

It is hard to get stuff over here most the time due to some "interesting" gun/cannon and import laws :(. But a good model I can have as a "model" that works might be the go. I have a look at the Hanwei stuff and see if a local importer can get one for me.

Thanks again

Owen
Artillery lends dignity to what would other wise be a vulgar brawl.