Author Topic: Speed of hammer fall  (Read 825 times)

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Speed of hammer fall
« on: September 30, 2010, 10:50:20 AM »
I am quite sure I can detect the difference in hammer fall between my Ruger single action .44 mag and my double action .357 mag. People have told me it's all in my head, that the difference is so slight as to be undetectable in actual shooting but I beg to differ, I'm sure I do notice the difference. What do you guys think?
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: Speed of hammer fall
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 02:38:13 PM »
Definitely.  My NMB snaps it's hammer shut like a trap, but most of the other guns are varying degrees slower.  I think the slowest is my Crackshot .22, but still gets the job done if you keep the sight picture.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 06:02:54 AM »
I guess I didn't make myself clear. I'm saying my single action has a very slow hammer fall, like closing a door, eeerrr-klunk! Where as double action revolvers and auto pistols have a short, snappy hammer fall, like bam, right now.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 04:58:27 PM »
I understood.  Was just saying mine isn't slow.  hehe  But my Blackhawk has a pretty strong spring I think.  8)  I definitely do notice differences between various guns though. 
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 10:10:46 AM »
Wow, you guys have keener senses than I have…

I really can’t distinguish time differences of 10th of seconds let alone 100th of seconds…

Most hammers hit within a blink of an eye and that is a slow blink…

Might just be me…

BCB

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 11:05:41 AM »
After a lifetime of shooting one becomes aware of just when the trigger breaks and the interval between trigger break and recoil. Not that I could tell you how many milliseconds have elapsed but I can tell the difference between the big honking hammer of a single action and the short, sharp hammer fall of a double action revolver when I fire one after the other. How much difference it may make in shooting results I don't know but it must make some, you don't see many single action revolvers on the bullseye line.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 01:37:36 PM »
After a lifetime of shooting one becomes aware of just when the trigger breaks and the interval between trigger break and recoil. Not that I could tell you how many milliseconds have elapsed but I can tell the difference between the big honking hammer of a single action and the short, sharp hammer fall of a double action revolver when I fire one after the other. How much difference it may make in shooting results I don't know but it must make some, you don't see many single action revolvers on the bullseye line.

Not debating your ability to be able to judge hammer drop time etc…

I am admitting that I don’t have that ability as many other handgun shooters.  Some may say the do, but well, I think I know better.  Drop time and accuracy have often been a discussion.  Under the most ideal conditions, I suspect it could influence accuracy.  But since we are human and not robots, the human error enters and there goes the theory out the window.  A few milliseconds would only move a barrel about that much and point of impact would change very little at handgun ranges.  Thousand-yard events—the difference may be noticeable—but I am not even sure of that.  My opinion…

I too have been shooting handguns since my kid days in the early ‘60’s, but with great enjoyment from 1971 until present…

Never shot competition, so I don’t know what is best for such events…

But maybe I just consider it a hobby and not a matter of life and death in most situations.  I miss a few targets and I hit a few targets…

Good-luck…BCB

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 12:56:06 AM »
sa guns definately have a slower hammer fall the Da guns and yes in my eperience it does have an effect on accuracy. Just like in rifles guys are allways trying to find faster lock time. For that reason and because it can also effect reliability with light primer hits (which also effects accuracy) i tend to stay away from spring kits in rugers. If you do use a spring kit consider not changing your hammer spring.
blue lives matter

Offline ole 5 hole group

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 06:07:51 PM »
  Under the most ideal conditions, I suspect it could influence accuracy.  But since we are human and not robots, the human error enters and there goes the theory out the window.  A few milliseconds would only move a barrel about that much and point of impact would change very little at handgun ranges.  Thousand-yard events—the difference may be noticeable—but I am not even sure of that.  My opinion…

There's a little more to it.  Setting up different barrel harmonics is one thing, which may or may not come into play with the revolver but the big difference is sight picture.  For most their timing will be perfect for just a millisecond (eye, hand & trigger finger control ) and when the trigger breaks and your timing is perfect you need that fast lock time to get things on their way before that sight picture falters.  The difference between a fast & slow lock time is an X compared to a 10 or solid 9 at 25 yards and at 50 yards it’s between an X or 10 and a solid 9 or 8 and a couple of those will dampen your day.

For the handgun hunter it could mean an inch or two if the lock time was real slow, which could turn a “lucky” shot into a poor shot. ;)   

Offline FN in MT

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 08:59:12 AM »
 Thats WHY...Way back when...S&W marketed a SA ONLY  set up for the K-38 Target guns as a factory option. And available for aftermarket install in the K-22 and K-32 as well.

My Freedom Arms seems to have a fast hammer fall for a SAA compared to my old Colts.

FN in MT