Author Topic: Holster for sp101 with 3 " barrel.  (Read 1959 times)

Offline IDMoose

• Trade Count: (0)
Holster for sp101 with 3 " barrel.
« on: September 30, 2010, 11:26:58 AM »
   Hi All,
To make a long store short I'm now changing what I carry for my CCW. I picked up a SP101 with a 3 inch barrel. Now the fun begins as I am having a hard time finding holsters for the 3 inch barrel. I can find all kinds of holsters  for the 2 inch barreled gun but not very many for the 3 incher's.

There is one that I found and it is Fobus, They look nice and I can see some plus side of having one. The only thing is I do not know any one that has one to see what others think of them. Has anyone here tried them and if so, what do you think of them?

If none of you have one, what other holsters out there that could fit the need? I'm just looking for something simple and will work on a belt. It would be nice to have one that stays tight to the body and rides high as well.

Or am I asking to much for a holster?

Offline DDZ

Re: Holster for sp101 with 3 " barrel.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 12:37:04 PM »
I carry my SP in a Crossbreed IWB holster. The holster is comfortable and conceals well. If you want something pretty and nice a crossbreed probably won't fit the bill. But if you want something that is comfortable, function-able, and reasonably priced, the Crossbreed does all that. To each his own, but I can't figure out why people want a pretty holster for concealed carry. I'm done going the nice looking route. The ones I have are stored in a box in my basement.   
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 01:35:39 PM »
 ;) ;D
I'm not going to give my soapbox speech.
Get a Horseshoe.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline IDMoose

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 02:28:15 PM »
I'm not looking for something pretty. I want something that is a work horse and will last! It will be riding along it the city, out camping in the mountains to long weekend desert off road races.

Willamlayton, get on your soapbox, maybe we all can learn something new. I'm never to old to learn something new.

Offline jimster

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 02:36:26 PM »
If you get a real good belt, you can use just that while your waiting for your next holster to show up in the mail while filling your "holster box".   :)

Anyways, after the belt thing is solved if it's not already, it's just a matter of what feels good to you lugging it around all day.  I personally find when using a holster the pancake design seems to spead the weight around more, there are places that have these that can be used IWB or switched to OWB as well which might give you another option. I like Simply Rugged holsters for all around use myself but there are so many out there you won't run out of holster makers to check out.  Get a big box to keep them in while you look for "the one" for you.  I find myself just slipping them down my pants quite a lot these days when running around, sometimes too lazy to get a rig out. You need a good belt with or without a holster, or nothing will work too well.

http://www.simplyrugged.com/ 

I like a 3" revolvers...good choice!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 04:21:48 PM »
All others ignore this old geezer.
Scabbards? We doan need no steenkin scabbards.
Stick it in your pants with a good belt.

Horseshoe makes the toughest you will get.

We doan need no steenkin scabbards.  ;D
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline IDMoose

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 12:56:58 PM »
Williamlayton, I have tried with out “no Stieglitz scabbards” and did not like it. It just about drove me nuts. If it was more like a LCR I think could handle it.

DDZ I did look at the Crossbreed holsters and will be ordering in the next few days 8) Thank you for the heads up!

During work today the gun shop “more like a candy store” call me and asked if I can stop by. So I headed over after work to see what was up. The owner had just received a new shipment from Ruger and he had 2 Fobus holsters with the Ruger label on them. I was asked to give one a test drive and report back in 30 days. I can tell you this, it rides nice when I'm walking and stays in place when I'm driving. Setting in a chair you almost do not know it is there. I believe this and the Crossbreed my just fit the bill.

Offline DDZ

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 02:10:10 PM »
ID, I hope you like your Crossbreed. I think you will. Another thing nice about getting a Crossbreed holster, is that you don't have to wait months to get it. I think I received mine in three weeks.
They offer a lifetime warranty. Also if you don't like it they will buy it back within a two week period. I don't know if other holster makers offer this, but that is what you call standing behind your product.
One thing I did to mine, is loosen the tension the holster had on the gun. It held the gun firmly and I thought it took a bit to much pull to clear the holster. After adjusting it by heating, the gun won't fall out, and its easier to pull. It comes with instructions on how to adjust tension.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 10:56:29 PM »
Lobo Leatherworks will make an excellent pancake holster for it. http://lobogunleather.com/ He made one for my wife. He also makes an excellent Tom Threepersons as well.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."