Author Topic: 300 wsm help  (Read 646 times)

Offline twocan

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
  • 185 pounder
300 wsm help
« on: October 01, 2010, 06:08:49 AM »
After full length sizing my brass the shoulder on the cases are dragging in the chamber. some close up some dont. Im going to shave a few thou of my shell holder. So will this change anything on accuracy? I sure hope so cause it sucks at the moment.

Offline Bigeasy

Re: 300 wsm help
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 07:10:43 AM »
It sounds like it could be a couple of things-

If your neck resizing ball in your die is sticking, it may be collapsing the neck enough to create a bulge at the neck/shoulder junction.  Make sure you are lubricating the inside of the neck.

If you are crimping the bullet, you may be applying to much crimp, again causing the neck to collapse a little and create a bulge.  This is especially likely if the brass is not trimmed to proper length.

I dont believe shaving the shell holder will accomplish anything that cant be done by unscrewing the die a fraction of a turn.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline twocan

• Avid Poster
  • 185 pounder
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 07:26:09 AM »
all cases are trimed ever time. most empty cases that i resize will not camber. I do not crimp. I adjust shell holder to the die all the way. A stiff chambered case has marks on the shoulder. I was told that wsm rounds tend to push the shoulder forward.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 08:39:31 AM »
Whenever some do and some don't, the cause is the size of the case.  Try smutting a case to see where it is binding.  Most likely, you are too long somewhere.  Have you noiced any collapsed shoulders?  Are you lubing the inside of your necks?

Offline twocan

• Avid Poster
  • 185 pounder
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 09:18:46 AM »
yes, i lube every case.  I have a savage 16 that all cases fit nomatter what. The browning on other hand will not. Im a brass shine freak so its very clear that the shoulder is rubbing. I will back the die off and make sure its not bulging the neck tonite

Offline Bigeasy

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 11:12:36 AM »
Another option, what I would do, is neck size only with brass fired only in that rifle.  Assuming brass fired in that rifle will easily chamber, neck sizing will give you better case fit and better case life, as you are working the brass less.  Try neck sizing a few rounds, and if chambering is still difficult, then experiment with screwing the die down a little at a time until you get easy chambering.  A picture of where it is rubbing would help.  I still have a sneaking suspicion the neck expanding ball in the sizing die is sticking, causing the case to either slightly collapse or stretch, causing the problem you are having.  I always lube the inside of the neck with a dry powdered lube that slickens the expander balls pass thru the neck without effecting the powder.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline twocan

• Avid Poster
  • 185 pounder
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 06:08:22 AM »
update.... I tried every thing u guys have listed above and they still dont go. I added .005 shim under the case while resizing. It worked! I hope this is my fix.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 01:46:59 PM »
update.... I tried every thing u guys have listed above and they still dont go. I added .005 shim under the case while resizing. It worked! I hope this is my fix.

Not sure what your saying here , please explain more , this is a new one for me .  ???

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline wareagleguy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 02:15:52 PM »
Would not lowering the die by .005 do the same thing?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline twocan

• Avid Poster
  • 185 pounder
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 05:25:01 PM »
I slid a piece of shim under the case in the shell holder. this allowed the brass to ride higher in the shell holder. Does that help any? Now i see lube on the shoulder, when i never did before.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 03:39:42 AM »
I think I understand what is happening and what he did to correct it.

Sounds like the shoulder wasn't getting bumped back all the way because the shell holder was hitting the bottom of the die.
It wasn't bulgeing the case, just not bumping the shoulder back quite far enough.
This could be from either his Browning having a short chamber or his resizing die and his Savage having a long chamber.
I would suspect the Browning.
By placeing a shim under the case in the shell holder, it held the case up a little higher allowing it to go a little deeper in the sizing die, just enough to bump that shoulder back a few thousands more.
IMO, shaveing as he mentioned, on the top side of the shell holder would have done the same thing, just as taking a few thousands off the bottom of the sizing die would have.
By useing the shim, he hasn't modified any of his equipment.

If I am wrong in my assumption, someone please explain it to me.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 11:38:19 AM »
Thanks guys , I was kinda hoping that was what he was doing  ;D and as LT said , it sounds like the Browning has a short chamber , or shorter than most anyhow .

Towcan , it may also be your brass , have you checked the rim thickness ? And also you may want to pick up a 2nd shellholder and shave it down just for the Browning , keep it in with the dies , just put some marker ( color ) on it to keep it seperate .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped