Author Topic: Winchester white boix .223  (Read 393 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Winchester white boix .223
« on: October 02, 2010, 02:12:01 AM »
  i have several 20 rnd boxes of Winchester white box  5.56 ammo which I purchased at a bargain a few years ago when a farm store closed. It is labelled 5.56mm, product #Q3131. Is it safe for my NEF or Savage ? Unknowingly, I have run about 16 rounds through my NEF and they seemed OK.. The primers show some flattening but not an inordinate amount. No more than say, my Black Hills blue box ammo.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Winchester white boix .223
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 07:35:54 AM »
ironglow

I have run a couple hundred rounds of it through my Handi and have not seen any issues other than it did not group very well , many say that the WWB was the Gold Standard for the H&R's , mine never did like it .

Every rifle is different , so yours may love it ,  ??? From a safety standpoint , its not a problem , just remember to save the brass = good stuff .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 07:51:15 AM »
The WWB 223 ammo(not the 5.56) is the gold standard for H&Rs, but I've seen it touted all over the net as very accurate in lots of other firearms.  ;)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 08:15:11 AM »
At some point in history there may have been enough of a difference between 5.56 Nato and 223 Rem were it could have been an issue from an ammo standpoint , yet over the last 10 years or so , most if not all rifle as well as ammo manufactures have standerdized the 2 rounds into one common cartridge .

The 2 are so closely related that it would cause a major safety issue for them not to do this . ( Lawyers ) hence the reason that the .357 & .44 mag's are longer than the .38spl's & .44 spl's .

Any modern firearm of mass production should be able to accommadate either ammo as the makers don't want to deal with the legal issues that would come with mistakes that could be made by most common shooters .

Just what I have seen over the years .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 08:47:32 AM »
Here's a little info on the two rounds and particularly the WWB ammo, the short leade isn't necessarily pertinent to the H&R since we all know they have long leades!! ;D

Tim

http://www.thegunzone.com/556v223.html

NATO chambers have a long leade1. SAAMI chambers are tighter and have a short leade. SAAMI chambers are designed for increased accuracy, but will yield dangerously high pressures in guns using military ammunition and/or which are subject to high volume shooting. Under such high pressures, a primer may back out completely, drop into the action and cause the firearm to stop working.

Winchester "White Box" Confusion
Q3131AWinchester "USA" brand ammoThis has been making American shooters nuts for a number of years now… particularly in the immediate aftermath of 11 September 2001 when there was a major run on 5.56mm ammunition. Winchester's "generic" or "budget" USA, or "white box," brand of ammunition actually has two different 55-grain FMJ rounds, and one has to look closely at the "small print" to discern the difference.

For openers, in addition to the ATK-operated Lake City plant2, Winchester is also a primary supplier of M193 to the U.S. military. That particular X223R1 round is commercially available in the white USA box product encoded "Q3131." What few realize is that Israeli Military Industries (IMI), the sole supplier of ammo to the Israeli Defense Force (IDF), also supplies their M193 as a subcontractor for Winchester; that round is often made available in the USA white boxes marked "Q3131A." By most reports, qualitatively, it is the same round and performs virtually the same as the home-grown variant.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 11:15:18 AM »
Thanks guys; I appreciate it, in view of my past experience..I'll just proced carefully
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)