Author Topic: 1705 Spanish mortar (golfball)  (Read 1468 times)

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
1705 Spanish mortar (golfball)
« on: October 02, 2010, 04:08:37 PM »
Took advantage of a beautiful day to test fire my new mortar. Here are some pics and a video hope you like..

I added my personal touch by bluing the barrel using Brownett Cold Bluing solution..

Click on the Link..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWRy1oind8E

The barrel is turned from solid 1215 cds , its length is 7" and 3.375" in diameter, the bore is 1.687 and its trunnions are 1.027"  

The oak carriage 11.750" in length , 7" wide and 3" high.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: 1705 Spanish mortar (golfball)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 04:16:25 PM »
Your camera sure grabs good sound.  

Tell more about the mortar... Looks a lot like one that was featured in an old Popular Mechanic magazine a long time ago.  What did you make it from?  Tell us all about it.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 04:57:50 PM »
Hey Ed, I like it a lot; you're very lucky, because I did see it and I was very tempted (I'm not kidding either), the only things holding me back were my recent purchase of an SBR 1-inch bore Dahlgren that finally came Thurs., and plans for the next piece (a CSA coehorn mortar to be made by Armorer).
The machinist making this, and some other artillery models seems to do quality work from what I can tell from pics.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 05:32:27 PM »
@ DoubleD this was a by chance purchase on the famous Fleabay. A friend had mentioned that there was a few Strong salute cannon up for bid. So as I scan the BP cannon page on Fleabay I came across this mortar figure to give a shot placed a bid to my surprise no one else bidded on her and now she's mine.. I must say she is well built and very happy with it..

BoomJ thanks for not bidding lol!  ;D I'm sure the builder will have another up there soon.. The funny thing I really didn't think I was going to win, I was certain someone else would come along swipe her up. Several months ago Dom had built a slightly different Spanish Mortar Closer to the one Zulu had built . here are couple pictures and Video ..

Click on the link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mystaffy66#p/a/u/2/jjSlcauqlW4

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 09:26:39 PM »
That mortar that Dom made is a beauty, and I think you're right, it does look similar to Zulu's Spanish mortar replica.
Your new mortar is also based on an 18th century Spanish mortar design, and there's one located at Castillo San Marcos in Florida. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,167475.0.html

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 07:43:57 AM »
BooM J,

yes, I remember thread posted by M&T it had originally given me the interest in having one built, then once ZULU completed his wood replica. I then knew I need to have one so I reached out to Dom. Good luck on your next build looking forward to see it complete..

Thanks,
Ed

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 08:44:28 AM »
I like the details of the handle and the vent powder dish on the Dominic made mortar; very nice.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 09:58:22 AM »
I concur...