Author Topic: Wyoming Antelope  (Read 1069 times)

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • The Daily Limit
Wyoming Antelope
« on: October 03, 2010, 08:46:42 AM »
Drove out to central Wyoming last weekend to chase antelope.  There is something about this hunt that I love.  Goats like this were everywhere.

100 yards, frontal shot.  Custom .270 on 98 action.  He went maybe 20 yards.  Decent length, good prongs, great mass.  My best buck to date.

I'm already thinking about next year and my 3 preference points...  And South Dakota too?

Now I'm less than two weeks from chasing Colorado elk.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
Re: Wyoming Antelope
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 11:33:55 AM »
Don't dismiss the eating qualities of these guys too. You get some really nice chops either side of the backbone, and some steaks from the hams, all very tasty.

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 09:19:43 AM »
     I just got back yesterday from Wyoming , hunted antelope areas 9, 11, & 12, our group of 4 guys got 14 goats, 1 buck and 13 does.   I wait until the leftover reduced price tags become available online about early August, there were only 9 either sex tags for area 9 and they were sold out in the first few minutes that they became available and there were 79 either sex available for area 12 and they were gone after 2 days.   There were alot more hunters this year than in the past ???  and I dont know why since they now open deer and antelope on Oct. 1, where antelope opened a week earlier the past couple years.
   Anyway the antelope numbers seem to be down a little from the past few years but still very plentiful, and the antelope rut is pretty well over by Oct. 1 because we were seeing groups of 15- 25 does along with 6 or more large bucks in the same group and when the season opened the week earlier the dominate bucks didn't allow any other bucks to graze along with a group of does. its a 1250 mile drive for me to go there from NW Ohio but its still the best bargin and greatest hunting I know of , many ranchers in the area allow goat hunting for free and there is plenty of walk on land available also, I have gone out there nearly every year for the past 11 years and have allways come home happy and with a frezzer full of good meat and plan to keep going as long as the population remains high and my health holds out.  :D  Jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline saddlebum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 10:34:07 AM »
Don't dismiss the eating qualities of these guys too. You get some really nice chops either side of the backbone, and some steaks from the hams, all very tasty.

I'm thinking roast with garlic cooked in the meat, carrots and potatoes. Great tacos with the leftover roast!

Great pictures, thanks!
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline JW/OK

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 01:04:17 PM »
Antelope numbers are way down in South Dakota! Just got back fom hunting Harding and Butte Counties in NW corner of the state. Numbers are probably down close to 80%. Farther North you go the worse it gets. Last two years they have had terrible blizzards in early spring. So if you plan on hunting South Dakota next year the best bet would be either Fall River or Custer County in the SW corner. Still had a lot of fun and managed to take 6 does between three of us. Walked across a 6 mile stretch of Walk-In area in Harding County and only seen 14 antelope. Four years ago probably would have seen at least a hundred. Still had a great trip!