Author Topic: New Buffalo Classic sight in  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Rat-7

• Trade Count: (0)
New Buffalo Classic sight in
« on: October 04, 2010, 07:04:39 AM »
I just bought the BC and took it out to the range on Sunday. Zeroed it for 25 and then moved to 100.... Thats where the problems began. With  the rear sight at the top of the ramp shooting 405gr remington factory load I was 7" low... switch to 300gr winchester and then was 3" high. Anyone else had issues like this? Its been a long time since I played with iron sights and could use a bit of help.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: New Buffalo Classic sight in
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 07:16:13 AM »
Welcome! Yup, it's a common problem and well known that the BC comes with too tall a front sight, it should have the Lyman .494" tall 17A sight, but they put the .584" 17A sight meant for the 38-55 Target Classic on it instead.  :-\ It's real ironic that they discontinued the 38-55 three years ago, but the only 17A sight they carry in stock now is the .584" sight for it.  ::)

Tim

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,7823.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:03:26 AM »
This problem is a few years old now isn't it Tim? Any chance "they" could be contacted and perhaps straighten out the problem once and for all? It's really foolish to buy a new rifle and have to immediately remove and trash the incorrect front sight put on by the mauufacturer and replace it with the correct front sight becuase the manufacturer knowingly continues to put the incorrect front sight on. I could see that happening if this were a government agency, but company is a private capitalistic manufacturer, and they should not want nor allow this to continue to happen....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:55:54 AM »
I told them about it twice, once when I first got mine in 2005 and again thru my H&R contact who said he informed them about the problem, whether they've corrected it I don't know, the 2008 parts list only lists a front sight for the BC Carbine and Target Classic, nothing for the Buffalo Classic. So until someone reports getting one with the correct sight, I guess they haven't corrected it.  :-\

Tim

Offline Rat-7

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 06:14:32 AM »
I contacted the Canadian repair depot for NEF and they are sending me a completely new front sight. I tried explaining to them that the sight is a wrong height but the girl just kept saying "Its the only one listed, we'll ship it out to you". Oy Vay! Its even listed in their parts catalog at the "Target Front Sight". I tried explaining that there was a difference between the Buffalo Classic and the Target Classic but she didn't get it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 06:26:59 AM »
Brownell's ships to Canada as a last resort.  :-\ But if you're gonna replace the sight, you may want to go a different route depending on your needs, many are going to a fiber optic front sight on the BC which is my preference, I think lonewolf uses a .408" tall fiber optic, and the .404 tall 17A sight is a good choice for long range shooting if that strikes your fancy.

Good luck,

Tim

http://www.brownells.com/1/1/25438-target-front-sight-lyman-target-front-sight-model-17-aml-494-height-lyman.html

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 07:36:51 AM »
     For goodness sakes. 

Just call Brownell's, order the correct front sight, and move on with your life.  :-)

You will not get any satisfaction from NEF's customer service.   The Handi-Rifles being sold now are more like a "gun kit", to be worked out and rebuilt, instead of finished working rifles.  It would appear to me that about 75% of all posts regarding Handi's are from folks who buy brand new ones, and then find that out of the box, they are replete with problems.

The reason that NEF keeps putting the wrong sight on the Classic is that they have a bunch of these sights in inventory, from the previous 38-55s, and they simply don't care.

Regards,  Mannyrock

Offline Rat-7

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 10:21:15 AM »
I'm still thinking about putting a new rear sight on anyway so no big rush. I work with a machinist so I might just reshape the post insert and go from there. I bought the gun as a winter project so not in a big rush.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 01:44:49 PM »
A really nice set that I have on my Buckstalker is the TruGlo Globe front/ ghostring rear.  These are really fast on target and not horribly pricey (watching for sales, I got it for $42).  I kept planning to transfer the set to my BC to try out, but decided I didn't want to rezero the Buckstalker in the dead of winter.  These wouldn't be good for long range applications, but I really like them for hunting ranges.  Just follow the link picture with the sight and then on the next page click the drop-down list to Globe/Ghost ring and you can see the pic.  Cheers.  8)  BTW they come with many variations of screws, dovetail inserts, etc.  ;)

http://www.truglo.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;PRODUCTS_NO_TREE?cat=31000?company=TGI

***edit***  sorry, you cannot link right to the page, so I modified the directions.  8)

Here's a direct link to the Midway listing: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=485838

Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline mike@nds

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
    • NoDak Spud, LLC
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 12:28:31 PM »
Our NDS-38 rear sight would have plenty of elevation to get you where you need to be with the factory front sight.

;)
NoDak Spud, LLC
www.nodakspud.com

Offline Rat-7

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 04:53:57 AM »
How fine is your peep sight and do you ship to Canada?