Author Topic: New to shotgunning...how bad is the recoil with an H&R Topper 58?  (Read 2078 times)

Offline rpavich

• Trade Count: (0)
I'm taking my new (to me) H&R Topper 58 12 ga out to squirrel hunt this saturday...after reading about them, I'm a little worried about the recoil...both myself and my 15 year old will be shooting it...

I read that using 1oz (or less due to the light gun weight) shells would help...

Can anyone offer advice on what to buy for shells for squirrel hunting while not blowing out our shoulders?

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: New to shotgunning...how bad is the recoil with an H&R Topper 58?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 04:44:08 AM »
The Remington #6 game loads should be tolerable recoil wise and fine for squirrels. You could always try adding weight to the butt stock if the recoil is too much. I'm a recoil wimp myself, I have a 16 guage Topper 88 and stick with 1 oz. loads. I can handle shooting a box of them no problem. I did shoot a box of 1 1/8 oz. loads when i first got it and my shoulder was sore for about a week.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline rpavich

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 05:21:17 AM »
Thanks Doublebass...

I'll try your suggestion on the ammo...

Also...as it happens...my friend here at work said today: "...I hear you're looking for a shot gun? Single shot do it for you? i have an old H&R 12 gauge...."

I said..."bring it on!" (then both my son and myself could use it while we squirrel hunt....)

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 10:48:51 AM »
Get a slip on recoil pad from Wal Mart for it.

Spanky

Offline rpavich

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 01:17:27 PM »
Spanky,
Walmart had the Limbsaver pad 1" thick and it was cheaper than Dick's so I bought it...

Offline joeinwv

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 06:43:02 PM »
I have a slip on pad for mine and also use a butt stock shell holder - it's handy for reloads, but also adds weight to the stock as well.

I do not mind #4 and smaller loads - 00 shot or slugs will rattle your fillings a little.
<funny>

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 06:49:08 PM »
I have my 12 ga. shorty set up as a slug gun with 2.5x20 scope and 20" barrel. It weighs under 5# with the scope and a round in the chamber. Yeah it kicks... I just got some remington reduced recoil slugs and they kick like a 20 ga. so I think I'll use them for deer this year.

Spanky

Offline rpavich

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 12:49:20 AM »
JoeinWV,
thanks for the input...
I bought Remington 12 ga 2 3/4" 1oz #6 shells to try and keep recoil to a minimum....should I go to #5? (They only had 1 1/4 oz in #5)

I'm going to go shoot-test it Friday then I'll be in the woods saturday morning looking for them bushy tails... ;D

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 05:27:46 AM »
I use 7 1/2 shot for squirrels.

Spanky

Offline rpavich

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 05:37:59 AM »
I use 7 1/2 shot for squirrels.

Spanky

Spanky,
Interesting...most guys around here have told me (I'm a novice so I don't know) that even 6 was too small....

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 01:18:20 PM »
Some people don't deal well with having shot in the meat.  I know that most people that recommend 4 or even 2 want complete shoot through on hits.  I do a pretty good cleaning when I clean squirrel anyway, so I typically pick any that stayed in the meat out.  I've heard that heavi-shot is another good way to keep patterns good and cut down on leave-ins.  8)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline DEER 24/7

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 07:56:59 PM »
i would be trying to trade it for a 410 witch makes a great squirrel gun

Offline cantankerous

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 10:18:38 AM »
If you run through a couple of boxes shooting clays or maybe doves it will kick the daylights out of you.  If you shoot five or six rounds at game you will never notice it.

Offline rpavich

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 12:11:44 PM »
If you run through a couple of boxes shooting clays or maybe doves it will kick the daylights out of you.  If you shoot five or six rounds at game you will never notice it.
Cantankerous,
i agree...I've used it twice so far with a limbsaver recoil pad and 1oz 2 3/4" shells and it's been fine; I'm just squirrel hunting.... :)

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 10:29:49 PM »
I'm taking my new (to me) H&R Topper 58 12 ga out to squirrel hunt this saturday...after reading about them, I'm a little worried about the recoil...both myself and my 15 year old will be shooting it...

I read that using 1oz (or less due to the light gun weight) shells would help...

Can anyone offer advice on what to buy for shells for squirrel hunting while not blowing out our shoulders?

GO down to your local Walmart and get a slip on recoil pad. They are Winchester branded Limbsaver recoil pads. Its the exact same one you get in the Limbsaver packaging except they cost 20 dollars instead of 35.

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 12:47:51 PM »
ok   ok     now stop all of this        your makeing judgements without even fireing the gun.  I shoot  my 12ga  all the time and never even think about the recoil. I also have a 12ga shortie that I shoot with 00 buck and slugs and recoil is not an issue.  Try the gun first ,   then , make your decision. If your afraid of it, you will never shoot it well.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline rpavich

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 01:32:23 PM »
ok   ok     now stop all of this        your makeing judgements without even fireing the gun.  I shoot  my 12ga  all the time and never even think about the recoil. I also have a 12ga shortie that I shoot with 00 buck and slugs and recoil is not an issue.  Try the gun first ,   then , make your decision. If your afraid of it, you will never shoot it well.
FLNT$EVR,
I got a limbsaver pad, bought the shells and have hunted several times with this gun....

Although the recoil isn't "nothing" it's very manageable and I've had no problem with it...I do thank everyone who helped...

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 02:19:43 PM »
ok   ok     now stop all of this        your makeing judgements without even fireing the gun.  I shoot  my 12ga  all the time and never even think about the recoil. I also have a 12ga shortie that I shoot with 00 buck and slugs and recoil is not an issue.  Try the gun first ,   then , make your decision. If your afraid of it, you will never shoot it well.
FLNT$EVR,
I got a limbsaver pad, bought the shells and have hunted several times with this gun....

Although the recoil isn't "nothing" it's very manageable and I've had no problem with it...I do thank everyone who helped...

I have a Pardner and its recoil is pretty intense without a recoil pad. With a recoil pad its just fine,but why they ever sold something that light,especially chambered for 3" shells (as if normal ones were not bad enough) without a recoil pad,yet a 223 Handi-Rilfe comes with one is beyond me. Then theres the "youth" model. I cant imagine giving that,as is,out of the box to some scrawney 105lb 14 year old. You might as well ask him to go volunteer with the Brady campaign.  ;)