Author Topic: Stay Safe Out There  (Read 648 times)

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
Stay Safe Out There
« on: October 06, 2010, 01:53:55 PM »
I hunted with my Dad when I was a kid a long, long time ago - but he died when I was pretty young and I stopped hunting, for the most part until we built our place up in woods about 6 years ago.  Then I took it up again.  That time of year is here again.  There's nothing I love more than being in the deep woods with one of my favorite guns.  Coming back to hunting as an older adult, you have a little different perspective (not to mention aches and pains) and sometimes it gets a little scary thinking about some of the careless or thoughtless hunters who may be around.  Wouldn't want to lose any of you guys.  Be safe out there.  Watch your back, your front, your sides, your up and your down.  Hope you all get to do what you love and fill your freezers.  God bless and good luck.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
Re: Stay Safe Out There
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 02:05:27 PM »
AMEN !!! ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 02:19:06 PM »
  I love hunting alone, watching all the little critters. Beats going thru all the rat race we call life. I do enjoy taking the kids along. They are 18 20 23 now, but still the kids. When they are along it puts me on the defense, with all the knuckle heads turned deer hunter also out lurking for movement in the brush. >:(

I too wish you all a safe and successful hunting trip.

Lonny

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 02:28:10 PM »
A Wonderfull sentiment and darn good advice
 Know a local feller 56, he doesn't run every day but fairly fit,, got his deer last year and hauled it out by himself, got the thing on the tail gate an had a heart attack!!
 Lucky had his cell phone and called help, he made it, but a lesson nun the less.

Take care out there.
found elsewhere

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 03:50:23 PM »
I too enjoy still hunting alone, and when I do it, I have my compass, cell phone, knife, hand gun, etc. with me.  It would be very easy to get tangled up out there, slip and break a leg.  I don't worry too much about nearby loony hunters.  If they're on my land, a simple call to DNR removes them.  Our locals, for the most part, respect Patty and me, and won't bother us.  The very few that don't or won't also know we are armed and dangerous, backed up by a man eating dog......He's not, really.  He's just a big friendly mutt among friends, but death on strangers.  If ya get introduced as Uncle or Auntie Blank or so and so, he's fine.  If ya don't get introduced, ya better be ready to climb something.  He's 90 lbs. of Great Dane, Boxer and Pit Bull.  I never felt I had a need for a "guard dog", and I don't, even now.  I inherited this dog, and that is what he does......well.

Patty, among her many skills as a contracts administrator, shoots black powder, modern centerfire, throws a knife and tomahawk, and is deadly with a long bow.  She's of the Ponca Tribe, Nebraska.  She has an unfounded reputation locally of having shot a running deer with her longbow at 100 yards.....It never happened,....35 perhaps.

When we first bought our 120 acres, we ran into trespassers who usually claimed they didn't know it was private, or gave us the "My Grandfather hunted here" routine.  We explained, patiently, that they were on private property and we had several rifle ranges, and they could be downrange of a bullet at any time and we suggested they stay clear.....for their own welfare.  We usually garnished the suggestion with a few heavy rounds into the berm.  They all scampered and to the best of my knowledge, none have returned.

We enjoy the serenity of the woods, hunting or not.  We enjoy watching the squirrels and Chicadees while we sit, and the Blue Jay that comes in to start a ruckus. The privacy, peace and serenity is what it is all about....the venison is secondary.

Pete

Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline JRW209

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 04:17:25 PM »
AMEN to that!

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 04:48:30 PM »
I have recently given up bowhunting on-base. I compete with 49 other hunters for 300 acres. 3 weeks before the opener, I had a stand nestled back along a deer trail all by myself. In the last days before the season, 5 other hunters hung stands, set out game cameras and installed ground blinds all within a 300 yd radius of my stand site. I hunted there opening day and got fed up with all the people walking under my stand. Now I have 3 acres to hunt of private woods that attaches to a much larger tract of woods. Nobody bothers me and I'm as happy as a lark. ;D

Safety is absolutely paramount! Don't worry though, I still have the "1000 yd stare."  ;D

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 04:50:11 PM »
Not to many other people hunt the areas we do, did have some grouse hunters come through state land one time and were supprised that it was deer season already when they saw me sitting there with my 308. they graciously appologized and back out the way they came. Also had a guy come right down the middle of an uncut corn field not wearing any orange at all and about jumped out of his skin when I whistled at him from my treestand. Ya just never know. Grow eyes in the back of your head, and be sure of your target.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 10:06:44 AM »
Lost my Dad early (cancer is a nasty thing) But he showed and shared some of the most beautiful things I have ever seen while hunting or fishing. Always safe and always respectful to the environment, funny how some say "OH I AM BECOMING MY MOTHER" ( or father) as a bad thing. I really wish I could fill the shoes of my Dad. I try with my kids, I hope someday they feel just like me. Be safe and show the little ones the right way!
thejanitor

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 10:14:39 AM »
Lost my Dad early (cancer is a nasty thing) But he showed and shared some of the most beautiful things I have ever seen while hunting or fishing. Always safe and always respectful to the environment, funny how some say "OH I AM BECOMING MY MOTHER" ( or father) as a bad thing. I really wish I could fill the shoes of my Dad. I try with my kids, I hope someday they feel just like me. Be safe and show the little ones the right way!
thejanitor

Brent,
  Chances are, they already do! Maybe they just don't say it. I'm 35 y/o and just getting to that time in my life when I feel comfortable saying that about my Dad. ::) Like a good drill sergeant, he did things to help me later in my life, whether I liked it or not. Now being a father myself, I have come to respect him more for that.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 01:38:59 AM »
My wife always worries about me getting shot when I go gun hunting for deer.  I always tell her the 4 hour drive to deer camp is much more dangerous than the time I spend in the woods.  We hunt state land so I do what I always have done, go out very early and stay away from the fire breaks and hiking trails.  The amatuers are afraid they will get lost so they stay near the trails and breaks.   Never had a problem yet. 

I have been shoot twice by hunters, both times with bird shot and didn't get hurt.  Once I was shot hunting rabbits by a goofball hunting quail (I don't think it was Dick Cheney  ;D).  The second time I was shot with pellets I was playing right field on my friend's softball team; a guy was dove hunting behind the ballpark.  Both of these shootings were inside the city limits of Louisville, KY; I don't live there anymore. :P

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 04:57:26 AM »
Quote from Petemi:
When we first bought our 120 acres, we ran into trespassers who usually claimed they didn't know it was private, or gave us the "My Grandfather hunted here" routine.

I have twice run into "hunters" (I use that term loosely) on my property that challenged me claiming they owned the property, got them straightened out quickly.
GuzziJohn

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 08:55:01 AM »
Quote from Petemi:
When we first bought our 120 acres, we ran into trespassers who usually claimed they didn't know it was private, or gave us the "My Grandfather hunted here" routine.

I have twice run into "hunters" (I use that term loosely) on my property that challenged me claiming they owned the property, got them straightened out quickly.
GuzziJohn

Woulda liked to have been there. ;D :o
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 09:18:33 AM »
Quote from bikerbeans:
Woulda liked to have been there.

Basically asked them if they wanted to call the law on me or wait for me to call the law on them. They made the correct decision.
GuzziJohn