Author Topic: Ruger Mini 30 for deer  (Read 2418 times)

Offline JKump

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Ruger Mini 30 for deer
« on: October 07, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »
I know that 7.62x39 will take deer like a 30-30.  I am thinking of getting a new Ruger mini 30 for deer hunting here in Middle Georgia. MOST shots will be under 100 yards, But, (there is always a BUT), I might have to stretch it out 200 yards or heaven forbid 300 yards. I know that is a VERY long shot for the Caliber.  Just some thought.  ???
Everyone has a game plan, until they get punched in the mouth.

Live everyday as if it is your last!  Because someday you will be right.

Offline hillbill

Re: Ruger Mini 30 for deer
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 06:51:23 PM »
well i have a very nice mini 30 that i like a lot with a nikon 4 power scope. at 50 yrds it will shoot fairly well, at 100 yrds the groups really open up to like 6 inches.now mind yu this is with russian ammo and ive never handloaded for it.its very handy, totally reliable but id say 200 yrds is really pushing it and if your going to 300 yrds yu better shoot a lot at that distance and id suggest a mil dot scope.heck my 06 bolt guns drop 14 in or better at 300 yrds with 150 grn bullets in handloads.if your shots are really under 100 yrds id not be a bit afraid of the mini 30. over that id really have to work up sum loads with premium bullets.there is plenty of info on the net about accurizeing the the mini type rifles.to be honest for the same or less money id just buy  model 7 rem and be done with it.

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 03:10:34 PM »
My mini thirty works just fine out to 150 yrds with good ammo.
I would never attempt taking a shot an unwounded game animal pass 200 with that cartridge.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 04:51:07 AM »
A few years ago I bought a mini 30 for my daughter to use deer hunting.  She never used it as she preferred an 06 rem.  It was completely reliable as far as function went.  The trouble was that both my $100 SKS nad my $250 saiga would outshoot it accuracy wise.  It was not so bad that I wouldn't have taken it hunting under 100 yards but the other two guns in the same caliber were better.  Traded it off soon after.  There are a lot of better and cheaper options of guns and callibers out there for deer hunting.  I still have and use a .44 mag Deerfield by Ruger.  I also have a 44 Marlin 1894.  Even a Marlin in 30 30 or 35 would be a better choice imo.  Something in 45/70 is a real woods deer gun.  Load it at trapdoor levels and it is almost perfect.

RJ

Offline bcraig

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 11:47:48 AM »
In my oppinoin why spend the money on this rifle and catridge when you obviously want to be prepared for a 200-300 yard shot ? IF you like automatics and want a deer catridge for possible 300 yard shooting then get one chambered in 270 Winchester,308 Winchester, 30-06 etc.
Then you will be have a catridge  that is capable for short range shots and long range shots.

Offline Hooker

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 02:39:14 PM »
bcraig exactly
But the same case can be made for any cartridge / firearm combination you have to stay with in the limitations of you and your equipment.
My mini has had a few up grades it shoots a solid 1 1/4 MOA which is fine for the places that I use it. Tuning the gas block a good trigger job good ammo and a buffer go a long ways in making a mini shoot well.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."

Offline JKump

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 02:36:57 AM »
I have a 308 for long range shooting, However, you never know when you might come across a possible shooter. I have enough sense to know that it is a 100 yard gun and to treat it "like" an Ol' 30-30. Also I am considering the Ruger for my left handed son to shot. Currently I have a SAR 1 AK 47, that he shoots, but the safety is hard for him to use. I like the location of the safety on the Mini 30.
So yes for long ranges I shoot the 308.  ;)
Everyone has a game plan, until they get punched in the mouth.

Live everyday as if it is your last!  Because someday you will be right.

Offline bcraig

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 08:33:17 AM »
I guess I read your post wrong when You said you might have to stretch it to 200 or heaven forbid 300 yards.It sounded to me like you wanted some input on the catridge and rifle for 200 to 300 yard shooting ! I went back and reread your post and it still sounds like that to me !
And Hooker you are exactly right But Regardless of how fine the Mini 30 rifle is tuned it is not really a 200 to 300 yard deer rifle because of the catridge for the most part.Could you kill a deer at 300 yards with it ? I am sure it could be done but it falls under the the stunt category as far as I am concerned.

Offline purpledragon

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 02:02:53 PM »
Ok, The mini 30 is a great little rifle and has had some bad rep as to not being very accurate. Many years back a good friend of mine (rest his soul) an avid shooter and reloader,brought this to my attention because he had the mini 30. The Ruger rifle had a .308 bore unlike the SKS and AK at .310-.311 and most ammo for the 7.62x39 bullet dia. is .310 he loaded his own with a .308 dia. bullet and it shot very nice groups even out to 200yds.......Hope I was some help
This only proves that,when allowed to act outside his lawfully limited authority,a U.S. President is capable of unleashing horrendous violence against the lives,liberty,and property of those he pretends to serve...........

Offline deernhog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 02:19:11 PM »
For the money get a CZ bolt action and you will have a gun that will shoot 200 yards accurately out of the box without a lot of tinkering. I have shot several mini 30's and they were not accurate when new and when they were sold by the owners they were still shooting wide groups. The CZ is one of the most accurate rifles on the market especialy in that caliber.
Deer hunting is mostly fun then you shoot one and it turns to work.

Offline Hooker

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 02:48:57 PM »
I have yet to find a rifle that is better than a Mini 30 when your in a briar choked pine plantation and shots are fast and up close.
Even my favorite Marlin 336 has to take a back seat in that mess.

Pat
-Mark Twain