Author Topic: blakely model 10  (Read 2450 times)

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
blakely model 10
« on: October 08, 2010, 03:29:36 AM »
well I have gotten off the band wagon on my reseach of the blakely model 10.
   I know there were  or are 2 in the naval yard of washington but  not everybody can just drive in. so does anyone konw of any other??  or anyone have a set of plans for one. i plan on putting in on my 1st model prairie carriage.  i have seen a few pics of them on that carriage.

and i am also looking for pics of the 1st model prairie carriage with implement hooks hanging from the front.. and not the confederate mountian rifle carriage., I am looking for how they carried the rammer adn sponge for the ames 3 and 4 lb smoothbore??   

rick bryan

on my way to nashville today then to hickery NC tomarrow the back home to poquoson va.
 got to love road trips

N

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: blakely model 10
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 03:56:03 AM »
Thats a LOT of miles!  Wave as you go by Pulaski - I'm painting the house.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 06:08:26 AM »
 well i am in henderson nc heading south on 85   a ways to go i guess.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 10:00:56 AM »
AOP shows No.67 as "Civil & Indian War Mtn Howitzer on a 1st Model Prairie Carriage [Research Packet]".  A Research Packet has been a collection of prints versus their usual bound folio.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 10:30:49 AM »
Rick,
Along with the two at the USNY Washington, D.C., there is a 2.9-inch Blakely Rifle Type 10 located in Atlanta, Georgia, at the 'Atlanta Historical Center'.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 12:02:16 PM »
I don't recall seeing any Type 10 Blakely's on display at the Washington Navy Yard the last time I was there.
Max

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 12:54:57 PM »
     There are two in the courtyard of the Beaufort Arsenal in Beaufort, South Carolina that Mike and I studied in 2006.  I think they are 4s or 6s though; the trunnion band is not nearly as thick as that on a 10.  Nice rifling though, the old 'sawtooth', very deep.

T&M
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 01:19:39 PM »
Max,
There were two at the navy yard, and cannonmn had a video not all that long ago that I think still showed them (although I'm not positive on that).
Field Artillery Weapons of the Civil War By James C. Hazlett, Edwin Olmstead, M. Hume Parks: Read the partial paragraph on the 2.9-inch Blakely Rifle, Type 10.

This is the caption to a photo and the text that follows it taken from a website created by Steven Roberts:Captain Alexander Blakely RA

(I'll send the photo to you and Rick by PM)
9 pounder Blakely cavalry or mountain gun 1861
One of two at Washington Navy Yard on museum mountings
It is to Blakely’s “standard” design for small ordnance
A Warren Ripley Picture

The 2.9 inch (actually made as a 3 inch) rifle is a rare piece of artillery in Confederate service. It was constructed by Fawcett Preston and by the Blakely Ordnance Company at the Bear Lane gun manufactory in Southwark. From its size it would have been either a cavalry gun or a mountain gun. It was not built on the same principle as the short 3˝ inch “Confederate” field gun but had a slim jacket and a very large cast-iron trunnion ring. The two remaining Confederate survivors are remarkably similar to their 9 pounder relatives in Peru. 

● Details: 2.9 inch (3 inch) bore, firing a 9 pound bolt, 36 inch barrel length overall, six-groove, Scott triangular rifling

Other 2.9 inch Blakely rifle guns were apparently made for the Confederate States Navy or for privateers of small tonnage, much longer and with a breech ring. None seem to have got through the blockade.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 02:59:06 PM »
Boom J,

OK, they are located at Building H and not the main museum. There are cannon scattered all over the place there. The last time I was there, vehicle access was somewhat restricted and some gates were closed. Never did get to the old US Marine Corps Museum, which was probably closed anyway since there is a new one at Quantico. They had a heck of a collection of small cannon there.
Max

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 03:06:48 PM »
well am going to plan a trip up there then, and see and take measurements of the guns i want to build. anyone else want to go we can make a trip out of it for the board.   I have a regional naval badge and i am going to see if that iwll get me on base or what i have to do,

rick bryan

N-ssa

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 03:07:59 PM »
oh also just crossed into tenn. on I-40 west,  heading to murfreesboro tonight.

rick

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 03:13:10 PM »
Here is a link to the Washington Navy Yard Museeum  http://dc.about.com/od/washingtondcmuseums/a/WashNavyYard.htm

You have to call  24 hours in advance to get in.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 04:53:51 PM »
rampa room artillery,

I don't know if this is what you are looking for. Below is a drawing that my father made years ago when he owned the one that is pictured the Artillery & Ammunition Book.

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.