Author Topic: H&R apologized  (Read 2054 times)

Offline skinman

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Avid Poster
  • J.D. Gillis
H&R apologized
« on: October 08, 2010, 11:43:19 AM »
Just recieved new, H&R Ultra in 20 guage. The final fit of the forearm was tilted downwards. There was a gap of nearly 1/2 inch from the end of the forearm to the barrel! Instead of nagging H&R about it, I fixed it myself. I believe since the consolidation, the production standards have gone down hill. I have seen 3 other Handi's that have come from Illion, and they were not of the fit/finish of the Gardner Plant. :-\
"Hunting and Fishing"....a deadly disease that I thank God they will never find a cure for..

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: H&R final inspection standards are horrible!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 12:00:39 PM »
Just recieved new, H&R Ultra in 20 guage. The final fit of the forearm was tilted downwards. There was a gap of nearly 1/2 inch from the end of the forearm to the barrel! Instead of nagging H&R about it, I fixed it myself. I believe since the consolidation, the production standards have gone down hill. I have seen 3 other Handi's that have come from Illion, and they were not of the fit/finish of the Gardner Plant. :-\

I'd have to see it to believe it. The forearm screw is only 1/2 inch long... how was the forearm attached if there was a 1/2 inch gap between it and the barrel? :-\
You got any pics before the "fix"?

Spanky

Offline skinman

• Avid Poster
  • J.D. Gillis
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 12:13:09 PM »
In regards to your question of seeing it to believe it. Believe it! The forearm screw was buried in the wood....almost to the point of hogging out the forearm hole. I have no reason to make up a story. I just question if anyone else out there has seen anything like this? I am a carpenter by trade for over 35 years....fit/finish is my business.
"Hunting and Fishing"....a deadly disease that I thank God they will never find a cure for..

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 12:34:11 PM »
OK :-X

Spanky

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 09:00:43 PM »
My second Handi( wood) had the forearm hole misaligned to the point that the barrel needed a firm push to open the action.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline fredster22

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (195)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 04:57:00 AM »
 The new 28 Pardner I just got had decent finish & fit and packed fairly well but
the lock was bouncing around in box, no damaqge tho.  Fred
All H&R 17m2 Sportster-17hmr Sportster-22lr Leatherneck semi-22mag ultra-22mag 700semi-22 hornet/20 258-221 fireball
223 bull-22-250 bull-243 bull Ultra--762x39-7x57m
30-30 157man-30-30/20ga 258--32-20 cust
-357max factory-357mag/20ga 258-44mag/20
ga 258-45lc-45/70-50 Sidekick-50
Huntsman-12ga Trap-12ga TDC
20ga TDC-20ga 22" 258x2-28ga 22"
Topper-410 slug-410 22"Topper-410 Charmer

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 10:13:44 AM »
Although I have purchased used H&R/NEF products, stories like this would keep me from ordering one sight unseen. I have purchased two muzzleloaders over the net (one NIB, one used)and was very happy with both.
I feel better about buying from a member here than anywhere else.

Offline skinman

• Avid Poster
  • J.D. Gillis
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 02:04:50 PM »
Yes, I guess I just trust too much :-[ I ordered the Ultra and that's how it was in the box when I opened it at my local gundealer's shop. I should have refused it; so I only have myself to blame for accepting it. In retrospect, I still have the number 1 edition of REALTREE OUTDOORS in my den. The year is 1998 and within that issue, one of the topics they talk about is shotguns. Of course they mention other great slug guns. Among the greats, they mention the H&R 1871 Model 980/920 Ultra Slug Hunter. They quote: " I would be highly remiss if I didn't highlight possibly the most accurate factory made slug gun on today's market, which at this time is the least expensive." They were talking about the H&R Ultra Slugster. They went on to mention they are "virtually varmint-grade and benchrest accurate." Their bottom line was this: "This gun is one of the greatest bargains on the entire firearms market." I immediately went to my local gunshop an ordered the Model 980 after reading the article and was never dissapointed, fine firearm and what a shooter! That was 1998. I carried it for years until I could no longer, and sold it :'(  So, my thinking of buying another one in the Model 920 might stir up those fine years of having the Model 980. I told myself that I didn't have to carry it every time I deer hunted during gun season, I have a T/C muzzie and a Marlin .44 mag that can do the job too. I guess the bottom line is that I was just very, very saddened by the condition of a brand new gun. If we firmly believe in American manufactured products; folks who work at these places need to know that American craftsmanship is still very important to us. Please don't give a company an excuse to move a manufacturing facility overseas.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 02:12:31 PM »
JD,

Contact H&R and give them the opportunity to make it right, they do that very well, all you have to do is read the Ilion Satisfaction poll in the FAQs to see that, ask them to send a return shipping label to cover shipping, toll free (866)776-9292.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline skinman

• Avid Poster
  • J.D. Gillis
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 12:06:59 PM »
Tim,

I will take your advice and give them a call. They need to be aware of these problems and I will have no problem letting them know. It's folks like us that keep business's open and if we allow our selves to keep our selves quiet, then we are just as guilty as the problem product that goes out the door. I have seen various business's close or move due to poor manufacturing standards. Folks deserve a great product, no matter the price.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 02:34:21 PM »
Tim,

I will take your advice and give them a call. They need to be aware of these problems and I will have no problem letting them know. It's folks like us that keep business's open and if we allow our selves to keep our selves quiet, then we are just as guilty as the problem product that goes out the door. I have seen various business's close or move due to poor manufacturing standards. Folks deserve a great product, no matter the price.

They'll probably want a picture or something too... seeing is believing you know. ;)

Spanky

Offline skinman

• Avid Poster
  • J.D. Gillis
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 02:56:07 PM »
Gave them a call. Told them what had happened. No pictures were necessary. They are sending me a new forearm at their expense. Nice to know that the customer still comes first ;) This case is closed :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 03:01:57 PM »
 ;)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 03:21:28 PM »
Glad they are covering their issue in this instance..  8)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
IMHO it may hav ebeen better to contact htem first rather than complain about them on a public forum and not giving them a chance to make it right.  That being said, my nephew just purchased a handi 25-06. The fit finish and accuracy was awesome.  I would buy another one in a minute.
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 04:31:16 PM »
All the H&R's I've seen lately have been perfect.

Spanky

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 06:37:56 PM »
Yes, I guess I just trust too much :-[ I ordered the Ultra and that's how it was in the box when I opened it at my local gundealer's shop. I should have refused it; so I only have myself to blame for accepting it. In retrospect, I still have the number 1 edition of REALTREE OUTDOORS in my den. The year is 1998 and within that issue, one of the topics they talk about is shotguns. Of course they mention other great slug guns. Among the greats, they mention the H&R 1871 Model 980/920 Ultra Slug Hunter. They quote: " I would be highly remiss if I didn't highlight possibly the most accurate factory made slug gun on today's market, which at this time is the least expensive." They were talking about the H&R Ultra Slugster. They went on to mention they are "virtually varmint-grade and benchrest accurate." Their bottom line was this: "This gun is one of the greatest bargains on the entire firearms market." I immediately went to my local gunshop an ordered the Model 980 after reading the article and was never dissapointed, fine firearm and what a shooter! That was 1998. I carried it for years until I could no longer, and sold it :'(  So, my thinking of buying another one in the Model 920 might stir up those fine years of having the Model 980. I told myself that I didn't have to carry it every time I deer hunted during gun season, I have a T/C muzzie and a Marlin .44 mag that can do the job too. I guess the bottom line is that I was just very, very saddened by the condition of a brand new gun. If we firmly believe in American manufactured products; folks who work at these places need to know that American craftsmanship is still very important to us. Please don't give a company an excuse to move a manufacturing facility overseas.

Yea,its what killed the American auto industry. To be fair,I have a Ford,and its been a good little car. Fords quality seems to be pretty decent now. They defiantly have come a long way since hitting rock bottom. Still my point is, its hard to make American made products cheaper than the competition for overseas. What we can do is at least make them better and if there is ANYTHING on Earth we should be able to make better than anyone else,its guns.

Offline skinman

• Avid Poster
  • J.D. Gillis
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 04:04:09 AM »
I can voice my opinion based on FACTS! What am I suppose to do.....rub their backs and make them feel better for sending out a firearm like that? Bottom line...I will voice my opinion based on facts in an open forum or anywhere else for that matter. Where was Quality Control....asleep?

Bubba, I see your opinion and we all have one. I too have had several Handi's and most were of great quality and workmanship. If I complain, it's based on facts otherwise I'm a happy guy. These gun companies continue to be swallowed up by corporations that don't really give a dang about it......their only bottom line is keeping the investor's happy. Anyone can crunch numbers all day.....what number would you like for them to tell you?

Go see who owns the American Freedom Group, LLC and that will enlighten you. Then do some research on that company....maybe I have a right to be unhappy?

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 09:33:21 AM »
Gave them a call. Told them what had happened. No pictures were necessary. They are sending me a new forearm at their expense. Nice to know that the customer still comes first ;) This case is closed :)

You might consider modifying the title of the original post to reflect a satisfactory outcome after the fact.
Someone else may not read all the way down to find out they took care of their inspection problem.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 04:42:56 PM »

You might consider modifying the title of the original post to reflect a satisfactory outcome after the fact.
Someone else may not read all the way down to find out they took care of their inspection problem.

Sounds good. It would be nice for these things not to happen,but if they can fix it 100% without making you pay any more money,thats good enough for me.

It just occured to me,no pictures necessary. Its good that they are fixing it,but clearly they know about the problem. One thing I can say is,my old NEF Pardner fits together perfectly.

Offline TAR12

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: H&R apologized
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 02:19:07 PM »
Skinman,
             Your post is spot on. I just got back from a gunshop with the excact same model in question here.I asked to look at his display model and it had a slight gap. I mentioned this fact to him and he said I have more in the back NIB. I said great! Pull one out and lets have a look at it! It had a 1/2 in gap as you described and the rest of them varied but were very noticable. This was a total of 6 guns. A fluke? I think not! I settled on the display model as it had a minimal gap.My first thought was how did so many make it out the door like that? He was embarrassed and mad and discounted the one I took home.I am going to contact them and let them know. I am glad they took care of you....

Offline mspaci

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
Re: H&R apologized
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 01:43:11 AM »
I grew up not far from the Illion plant & know many people who worked there over the years & believe me when I say that they do care about the customers. Its a small town & they depend on that plant for a living. Mistakes happen with every company but I have never known Remington to not make it right no questions asked. As a matter of fact when I was a teenager my brand new 1100 slug gun had a cracker forstock after sighting in. We drove right down to the plant & they just gave us another with no problem.  They checked the whole gun over while there & made sure we were 100% satisfied before leaving.  ust my experience.  Mike