Author Topic: Australian War Memorial Visit  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Owen

• Trade Count: (0)
Australian War Memorial Visit
« on: October 08, 2010, 10:41:16 PM »
You know, when people visit you have to visit all the local interesting stuff you never visit by your self .... I do forget how good the www.awm.gov.au is

but did find some good cannons

Artillery lends dignity to what would other wise be a vulgar brawl.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: Australian War Memorial Visit
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 05:46:09 PM »
Thanks for the photos, Owen; both the Armstrong and Krupp are beauties. The carriage that the Armstrong barrel is mounted on is in my opinion the finest example of British wooden field carriage.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 06:48:26 PM »
Thanks for the photos, Owen; both the Armstrong and Krupp are beauties. The carriage that the Armstrong barrel is mounted on is in my opinion the finest example of British wooden field carriage.

If I remember right the Armstrong was found on a farm, the carriage was in bad shape and a new one was copied from the original pieces.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 07:24:23 PM »
Yeah, I can't remember the exact details; the gun was found in pitiful condition, and one Aussie artillery enthusiast took it upon himself to sponsor the restoration of the piece, which took years and a lot of sweat.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline A.Roads

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 01:04:00 AM »
Yes the barrel was recovered from a dairy farm & fully restored - much of the original iron work was reused. A five year restoration job I believe, & by a very talented restorer who often repairs antique arms.
Adrian