Author Topic: copyright discussion from blakely model 10  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
copyright discussion from blakely model 10
« on: October 08, 2010, 02:06:54 PM »
Max,
There were two at the navy yard, and cannonmn had a video not all that long ago that I think still showed them (although I'm not positive on that).
Field Artillery Weapons of the Civil War By James C. Hazlett, Edwin Olmstead, M. Hume Parks: Read the partial paragraph on the 2.9-inch Blakely Rifle, Type 10.

This is the caption to a photo and the text that follows it taken from a website created by Steven Roberts:Captain Alexander Blakely RA

(I'll send the photo to you and Rick by PM)
9 pounder Blakely cavalry or mountain gun 1861
One of two at Washington Navy Yard on museum mountings
It is to Blakely’s “standard” design for small ordnance
A Warren Ripley Picture

The 2.9 inch (actually made as a 3 inch) rifle is a rare piece of artillery in Confederate service. It was constructed by Fawcett Preston and by the Blakely Ordnance Company at the Bear Lane gun manufactory in Southwark. From its size it would have been either a cavalry gun or a mountain gun. It was not built on the same principle as the short 3˝ inch “Confederate” field gun but had a slim jacket and a very large cast-iron trunnion ring. The two remaining Confederate survivors are remarkably similar to their 9 pounder relatives in Peru.  

● Details: 2.9 inch (3 inch) bore, firing a 9 pound bolt, 36 inch barrel length overall, six-groove, Scott triangular rifling

Other 2.9 inch Blakely rifle guns were apparently made for the Confederate States Navy or for privateers of small tonnage, much longer and with a breech ring. None seem to have got through the blockade.

Boom J,
Are you not posting the photo for us all to see because of copyright issues?  If so, this forum is much poorer for the rule.  It seems that if something is posted on the web for all to see, it is public domain and should be allowed.  
I have a very interesting photo of a sled mounted cannon now that I am afraid to post.  I found it on photobucket and I don't know anything about it.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
blakely model 10
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 02:39:51 PM »
Zulu,
I agree with what you say, I have also said the exact same thing. Warren Ripley took the photo that I privately sent to other members, and the gentleman that took his photo and put it on his website may have been doing so in violation of copyright law (I have no idea). This may be exactly what sparked some discussion on another forum, which may have in turn then triggered some reactions on our forum. My personal opinion on this is that it's a tempest in a teacup. We are an internet forum that exist for are own interests and pleasure, we're not here to make a profit off of anything any of us take from the internet and post here. From the other forums that I've seen (concerned with any field of interest) on the net, they are not preoccupied with copyright laws; as a matter of fact, other than a comment made on the forum I brought up (The Company of Military Historians) I have never seen it so much as mentioned. Nevertheless, I don't make the rules, and I am not going to spend time posting things here (whether it takes me hours or minutes) only to have them deleted. I sent you the photo by PM.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
blakely model 10
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 03:10:46 PM »
You guys are making mountains out mole hills, that don't  exist.  The only thing you have when you post some one else work, is give then credit.

Post the picture and post a link to the webiste where got the picture.  What is so difficult about that?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
blakely model 10
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 04:55:42 PM »
You guys are making mountains out mole hills, that don't  exist.  The only thing you have when you post some one else work, is give then credit.
Post the picture and post a link to the webiste where got the picture.  What is so difficult about that?

Not difficult.  But, if I read the converstations right, impossible when one doesn't have the info.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
blakely model 10
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 06:17:42 PM »
Well, I'll try it.
This was ramdonly found on www.photobucket.com
A very interesting photo from some unkown museum.
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

blakely model 10
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 07:17:27 PM »
Well, I'll try it.
Zulu

Good try,  But photobocket doesn't own the picture,  They are just a hosting site. The owner of the picture is the person who posted the pictures to the album on photobucket.

Just like when you post a picture of yours here, you own the picture not GBO.  If you post your own pictures  you don't have credit it only some one elses work.

Offline Double D

blakely model 10
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 07:28:36 PM »
Here read this... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act.  It is a wikipedia article on the Digital Millennium copy right act.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
blakely model 10
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 08:33:23 PM »
 When one signs up with Photobucket, he agrees that anything (not marked "private") he uploads to the site can be used by other members for pretty much whatever they want without limitation.

http://photobucket.com/terms

Specifically, see section 6, Proprietary Rights in Content on Photobucket.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
blakely model 10
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 11:56:08 PM »
WOW  thats a beauty
how large is the original file size ??
if its larger than its shown here could you please email it to me ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
Re: copyright discussion from blakely model 10
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 03:35:19 AM »
When one signs up with Photobucket, he agrees that anything (not marked "private") he uploads to the site can be used by other members for pretty much whatever they want without limitation.

http://photobucket.com/terms

Specifically, see section 6, Proprietary Rights in Content on Photobucket.

Does this mean Photobucket is okay?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 05:12:44 AM »
Yes according to Photobucket terms of agreement, when you post a picture on Photobucket you basically grant everyone and one on photobucket to to use your pictures how or where they want.

My photo host is much stricter and protects my work.

FotoTime claims no ownership rights to the photographs uploaded to your account. Members do grant to FotoTime, Inc. any permissions necessary to manage your pictures including but not limited to:

* FotoTime has the rights to show your photos to visitors of your account
    * FotoTime has the right to back them up during standard system backups
    * FotoTime has the right to remove photos if we find that you do not own them (someone else has copyrights to them).
    * FotoTime can send your photos to a third party for printing if you or one of your guests orders prints from your account

FotoTime will not use any Member's images for any promotional purpose without obtaining the Member's permission.

http://www.fototime.com/Terms

A photo you take is no different than a cannon you build it is your work and have the right to benefit from your work. 

Just because you park your cannon in the parking lot at Wal-Mart doesn't mean any one can come a take yoru cannon and use it.  It's do different with a picture.

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
Re: blakely model 10
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 06:18:49 AM »
Zulu,

You are probably the only person on the planet that could even THINK about building this piece. Thank you for posting such a thought provoking picture.

Michael

Well, I'll try it.
Zulu

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 08:23:35 AM »
Since Photobucket is okay, here are some more.
From www.photobucket.com
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com