Author Topic: Doctor says to cut back on the shooting!  (Read 3516 times)

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
Re: Doctor says to cut back on the shooting!
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2010, 02:54:18 PM »
"You do what your body and your mind will let you do". True words. When I told him he would have trouble from the damage he has already done it was the voice of experience speaking. My problem is my mind keeps wanting to do things that my body can't and it hurts.  :( I guess my body has aged more than my mind.  :(
This is very true,I just went through my 4th lower back surgery and I've got to live with lots of restrictions and will never be able to do as I used to,but the bright side is I'm still able to do something (like walk) my body is 47 now I guess its time for my mind to catch up with it.

Offline tallpaul

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 03:11:38 AM »
little guys n their big macho guns.....

all razzin aside I think I would prefer to be able to wipe my own ass so giving up the uber boomers would not be that tough...I use my hands and wrists too much to knowingly destroy them.
Jesus Loves You.... right now just as you are.

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2010, 04:52:07 PM »
little guys n their big macho guns.....

all razzin aside I think I would prefer to be able to wipe my own ass so giving up the uber boomers would not be that tough...I use my hands and wrists too much to knowingly destroy them.

I'm not little, I'm just waiting on another growth spurt! ;)

In case anyone is interested in an update, I've made some changes in my shooting habbits and they seem to be helping. The Ruger Mk III gets a lot of use now and I switched to a full size Kimber 45 instead of the Commander sized 10mm. The 45 is much easier on my wrists, but I still only shoot 50 rounds at a time  now. No more super loads from the 45-70 BFR, and while I'm not actively trying to sell it, I probably will eventually. I just don't see a reason to hang on to something that I shouldn't  or won't be shooting.

The owners of the local gun shop that I go to have actually started refusing to sell me some guns that have come through the shop. It used to be that I'd buy almost anything over a 44mag that came through the door. They now have an "approved gun" list for me.  Dan and Mary (the owners) are good honest people, and have grown to be a good friends of mine in the last few years. It's nice to see people who will turn down the chance to make a profit to make sure that I don't do something too stupid. That said, they always have something in there for me to buy. ;D

So thank you every one for your honest  responses and advice. I knew the folks here would have some valuable experiences to share.

Andrew
Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow.

Keep honking, that should fix everything.

Offline rawhidekid

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2010, 02:39:56 AM »
If you like the 45 1911 frame, you can switch it to a 38 Super and have more fun reloading with less recoil.  I was also told by a Dr to get rid of my 44mags.  I love my 38 Super and now have two. ;D
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2010, 04:52:24 PM »
It's kind of weird, but recoil from a 9mm is pretty unpleasant to me now. It seems to have a lot to do with the speed of the recoil. The 45 ACP is a slower push than the 9mm, and certainly more than the 38 Super. The Super was one of the first rounds I thought about when I decided to move away from the 10mm in a 1911.

Andrew
Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow.

Keep honking, that should fix everything.

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2010, 06:08:08 PM »
Andrew,

Let me suggest another type of aromatherapy, as well as an excuse to buy another gun.  I did this only once, and I really would like to do again -- hunting squirrels and rabbits with a reproduction .36 caliber 1851 Colt Navy black powder revolver.   The aromatherapy comes in the form of the smell of burnt powder in the early morning air.   

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 03:22:11 AM »
I thought of going to the 36 blackpowder and got a 44 just do to the availability.  The blackpowder is more of a oush andwas definetly a pleasure to shoot but one pain in the neck to clean.  The 38 Super in an all steel 1911 definetly is less recoil than a 45.  I went up to a 16# spring and it seemed to lighten the muzzle flip as well.Just my thoughts 8)
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 05:08:27 AM »
You're not the first person i heard about who suffered fractures from the big bores. The 44 mag and the 45 Colt are the largest caliber handguns i own and even they don't get used much. I used to hunt with Contenders and had everything including the 45-70 and although the recoil was high, I handloaded for everything to keep them on the mild side. The human skeletal frame will hold only so much force before it fails and it doesn't get any more complicated than that.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 05:10:19 AM »
Andrew,
I think you know what the answer is here.  I hate to say it but the fact that you want to hear it from 100 other people is a sign of your own insecurity of shooting small calibers.  I'm not picking on you here so just hear me out please.  You're a big bore, big boom, and big bullet fanatic and anything else just won't do it for you or give you the "fix" that you get from shooting the "big guns".  I too am a bit of a big bore and hot rod load fan as well but I constantly think about the ramifications of heavy explosions going off in my hand time after time after time.  I have been a professional guitar player for most of my life not to mention that my hands are a crucial part of my life as they are for most everyone.  

If you screw up your hands any further, you're going to be sorry.  You won't be able to work, do recreational things like ride a bike, play with your kid (if you have one or plan on having any), type on a computer, write a check, heck, you may not even be able to wipe your own behind as age sets in within your years to come.  (ask your wife if she'll want to do that for you   ;D )  You DARN WELL know the answer here!  Shooting small bores and light recoiling guns in order to save your future and your ability to use your hands doesn't make you a proverbial "sissy", instead, given your circumstances, it will make you an intelligent and responsible man.  If you go for anything less and damage your hands further then you're being foolish and you have no one to blame but yourself.  

If you like shooting "big lead" you might try black powder, as suggested by the previous poster.  While there is recoil, it's not lightning fast recoil, rather, it is a push or shove.  There is an art, as I understand it, to loading and shooting black powder.  Perhaps you can become an "artist" of these loads.  The other alternative, provided you don't damage your hands any further, is to shoot smaller caliber pistols at long range.  I have several T/C pistols in small calibers that hardly jump when fired on a rest yet it is quite challenging and enjoyable to sit and shoot 1.5" groups at 100 yards with them.  Sometimes I forget all about my bigger stuff and am completely satisfied and challenged by messing with these loads.  You might try .22 Hornet, .223, 30 carbine in a T/C pistol.  The 30 carbine is really great fun in a T/C pistol or a Ruger Blackhawk with a scope mounted.  It's the loudest son-of-a-gun and has the biggest muzzle blast you've ever seen too!   :o

In a nutshell, there are other alternatives to being a shooter rather than just mashing your hand until you no longer can do so.  You need to look yourself in the mirror and say "it's over for the big guns", except it, and begin to explore and perhaps become an expert with some of the other avenues of shooting.  There are LOTS of them!

I wish you the very best of luck.  
Blackhawker

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2010, 12:20:20 AM »
I would like to second Blackhawker on the Ruger thirty carbine Blackhawk.  When my youngest son was ten years of age that was his favorite handgun.  I had forgotten how much fun it was too shoot that gun until Blackhawker mentioned it. 8)

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2010, 06:24:52 AM »
I would like to second Blackhawker on the Ruger thirty carbine Blackhawk.  When my youngest son was ten years of age that was his favorite handgun.  I had forgotten how much fun it was too shoot that gun until Blackhawker mentioned it. 8)
It really IS fun and suprisingly accurate as well.  I always get a chuckle when I take that Blackhawk to an indoor range where the light is somewhat subdued.  People always stop and watch over my shoulder and sometimes ask what I'm shooting.  They'll often say something like, "what the heck are you shooting that is so darn loud and boomy and sending a flame halfway down range?" and then I produce this little anemic excuse of a bullet and just grin.  This is a bullet whos bark is MUCH worse than it's bite, that's for sure!  I still wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it though.

On a second note, a friend of mine has an AMT Automag III.  If you think the Blackhawk is fun, you should try one of these.  It's a major "flame thrower" and has to be the loudest handgun I've ever heard.  It's obnoxious and a heck of a lot of fun to shoot.  I wish I had one.