Author Topic: Do any of you know anything about these bullets?  (Read 636 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Do any of you know anything about these bullets?
« on: October 10, 2010, 01:44:51 PM »
I found these bullets on the Internet very very very cheap. Do any of you know anything about them? I wonder if they are even copper jacketed? For the price I might just take a chance and buy 100 of them just to see what they are about. Thanks and take care Dale
http://www.iidbs.com/hitech.zkb?15683&GENMENU6018&object-menu6
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline saddlebum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "I ain't never been killed in my life."
Re: Do any of you know anything about these bullets?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 02:05:20 PM »
Here is a post from someone on another forum who seems to have the info you need.

"Several weeks ago I order 500, 30 caliber M-160 frangible bullets for $28 pulled from de-milled US ammo, thinking this is a great deal if they shoot good in my 30-06 & 308's. After researching this bullet, It was designed for M-60 gunners to practice shooting at flying drones and moving APC's. It weights 108 grs and is made from compressed lead dust and epoxy with a resine coating and yes they are old and ugly looking, but with no pull marks. Intended velocity is 1300-1400 FPS. Using conservative cast bullet data and 30 cal 100 grain Speer Plinker data, I started with 8 grains of Unique in my 30-06 and worked my way up to 11 grains. 9.5 grains of Unique was the sweet spot for my 03 springfields, average velocity was 1318 fps @ 10'. Group size was identicle to my favorite cast bullet load (2" with 5 shots at 50 yds with open sights). Be very careful you do not double charge the casing!!!!! Recoil and report is like a 22 mag. Here are a couple of tips: Use a Lee universal case mouth expander die to put a slight flair on the case mouth to prevent the bullet from shaving during seating. Use Lee factory crimp die as your final step. Do not exceed 1400 fps. This is a low presure, low recoil 100 yard load you can make for under a 8 cents. Case life will more than double, and use a Lee collet neck size die and you can go 8-10 firings before needing to trim the brass. No noticable bore fowling. I just placed and order for 2K more. You may want to use a progressive press, because once the kids find out how much fun these are to shoot, you will need to load them faster and faster."
Load: 30-06 Springfield
Bullet: 108 grain M160 frangible bullet - green & white tip
(Hi-Tech Ammo St Louis on web)
Primer: Win Large Rifle
Case: 30-06 mixed mil & commercial trim to lengh.
Powder: 9.5 grs Unique DO NOT DOUBLE CHARGE !!!!!
Seat depth: match original seeting depth, see marks on bullets.
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 02:18:44 PM »
Thanks for the info. This is not the type of bullet I have any interest in acording to your info and am happy you posted it prior to me buying 100 of them. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 02:19:56 PM »
Shipping is 9.99, so its really about $16 for 100.
For that, I would get the bulk 110 gr FMJ 308 cal bullets for cheap steel plate ringers, and not worry about geeking up my nice barrel.

The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline saddlebum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 02:51:44 PM »
Ya, after I read that post, I couldn't see any reason I would want them. I can't think of a reason to use them except plinking and .22lrs are cheaper, more accurate and more fun to shoot. And you can hunt with them. What the heck?........compressed lead dust?  No thanks!
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 03:09:12 PM »
I'd say they sound good for 30cal Contenders in 10 inch barrels might be a nice smooth shooter round
But I gotz no 3030 contender to try um on

Dale if your doing more shooting?...... how bout cast ?

Tommyt