Author Topic: new optima  (Read 798 times)

Offline b44mag

• Trade Count: (17)
  • A Real Regular
new optima
« on: October 10, 2010, 08:10:05 PM »
i was looking at the new optima on the cva web site looks nice like the new stock any one have one
i would like to here the good bad ugly truth about the gun from someone that has shot it
i watched the vid on cvas site 20 shots no greese twist out hmmmmm i wonder
i was looking at the camo one that comes with the thumbhole stock and mount but if i get it i think im going to trade off the thumbhole butstock for the regular one i dont like the thumbhole but you get the mount free
my eyes are not as good as they once were so im scoping it for sure
i had a encore thumbhole flextec great at range but did not like it while hunting it traded fast im sure if i do buy one the stock will trade fast also
so the specs say 6 3/4 pound sounds good already
my encore weighs a ton even with a 20 in 209x50 hell in pistol i weighs a ton but i like it in pistol version not so much in the long gun
if i send it in for a cut to 20in. recrown add a scope it will still only be around 6 or 7 pounds mount,rings, scope
well let me here the good bad and ugly
 thanks b44mag

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
Re: new optima
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 12:39:15 PM »
I bought one 9/28 and have only shot it a few times at <50 yards open sights, but the trigger is light and crisp, clean up is a breeze and the QRBP really works.

I have the black/stainless regular version and carrying it around in the woods is great. The weight makes it a dream to carry and recoil is mild with the Crush Zone Recoil Pad. I am shooting TC Shockwaves 250 grains with 90 grains Pyrodex.

I am sure bigblock455 will be around shortly to give you some more details.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline Dan71

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 02:27:32 PM »
I am shooting TC Shockwaves 250 grains with 90 grains Pyrodex.

That load seems to work very well in the Optima. I wonder how it does in the Accura and the Wolf?
"It's Gods job to judge the terrorists...
It's our job to arrange the meeting".

Life Liberty and the Pursuit of all who Threaten it.

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 12:52:57 PM »
Breech Plug works just as they say, even after 60 shots with Blackhorn209.

A short review i did on the Optima. Ive done a TON of shooting through this rifle and its my elk rifle this season with 100gr blackhorn209, winchester w209 primers and a .500" 300gr Thor conical.
http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/cva-optima.html