Author Topic: anti-seize failed  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Junior1942

• Trade Count: (1)
    • The Frugal Outdoorsman
anti-seize failed
« on: October 11, 2010, 01:11:55 PM »
The graphite-, copper- and aluminum-based anti-seize I used on my T-C Black Mountain muzzleloader shotgun choke tube dried up and made removal of the choke tube an ordeal.  I hadn't removed the tube in two years. No, I hadn't used the shotgun in two years, either!  Somewhere I read that Mobil 1 grease made the best anti-seize because it's artificial and doesn't lose its viscosity over time.  What say ye?

PS: My T-C Black Mountain is a TRADITIONAL side-hammer single barrel shotgun but with a camo stock, chrome-lined barrel for steel shot, and removeable choke tubes.  It's TRADITIONAL.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: anti-seize failed
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 03:28:13 PM »
I use Permatex,,
found elsewhere

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 04:58:25 AM »

PS: My T-C Black Mountain is a TRADITIONAL side-hammer single barrel shotgun but with a camo stock, chrome-lined barrel for steel shot, and removeable choke tubes.  It's TRADITIONAL.

You think?
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 12:00:15 PM »

You think?
I think it isn't an inline.

Offline Forestclimber

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 07:02:37 PM »
How about white lithium grease?

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 02:21:43 AM »
I dunna know.  Never heard of it.  Somebody chime in, please.

Offline alleyyooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 04:32:10 AM »
Mobil one grease should do the job.

;D  Al
Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.

http://oldgrumpy.fanspace.com

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 05:32:28 AM »
Plumbers heat proof grease or food grade grease would both be good and not inhibit powder if it came in contact . Lubrplate may be good also.
Then also there are several choke tube lubes out there.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline TCU SHOOTER

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 04:33:17 AM »
+1 for permatex anti-seize compond, it will never sieze up "well with in reason" I have never had it sieze up on a hot motor even after several years.

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 12:43:35 PM »
+1 for permatex anti-seize compond, it will never sieze up "well with in reason" I have never had it sieze up on a hot motor even after several years.
From the Permatex web site: "A highly refined blend of aluminum, copper and graphite lubricants. . . ."

That's exactly the contents of the stuff which failed, i.e., dried and became like glue.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 04:52:30 PM »
I suspect your anti sieze came in contact with something already on the choke or barrel, be it oil or perhaps  a factory coating.  I've used several name brands of the stuff on spark plugs in an engine and have never seen what you describe???  Who knows what might have happened.  Try some silicone based oil or grease and you should never have a problem.  It does not evaporate or dry.

Best of luck,

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 05:00:15 PM »
I pull my tubes from my guns after use and clean them and lightly oil the threads and put them back in .
I have never had a problem doing it this way.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 05:38:26 PM »
 I hadn't removed the tube in two years. No, I hadn't used the shotgun in two years, either!  

Well I'm guessing that's 66% of the problem, the other 34% was likley the prosess you used to clean it after you shot it last.

Not to knock all the new wiz-bang features of the "Traditional" gun,,but them new wiz-bang cleaners that usually get sold with'm could have had some adverse affect,,,

Most anti-sieze products do work well, but anything can be neglected, even chrome can rust! I know, I have a chrome lined barrel from Cabelas, shot good for years,,til I skipped a few days before I cleaned it, that's all it took, it was steady downhill from there.
Good luck in your choice,
found elsewhere

Offline JBlk

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 01:41:25 AM »
I don't know if this will work or not, but the old mechanics would put chalk on the threads of exhaust manifold bolts to keep them from seizing.I would think that if you would remove the choke tube and clean it throughly befor storing a light coating of oil would work.I use alot of anti seize compound around my farm equipment and I have never had a problem with anything that it was used on.

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 02:18:53 PM »
[That's exactly the contents of the stuff which failed, i.e., dried and became like glue.]

Yep - That's why, when one of my Aunt's makes a pie with the same ingredients as my Mom; it tastes like horse manure - as opposed to Mom's tasty offering.  ;)

FWIW, I would use inline breechplug thread lube.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 05:39:20 AM »
Why wouldn't plain ol' STP work?  It's synthetic, isn't it?

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 05:23:35 AM »
Given your desire to ignore or rebuff all previous suggestions, you might as well go ahead and use what you want.

The simple truth and easiest way to insure the choke tube won't get stuck again is to remove it, clean it and the threads in the barrel. Give it the care it needs. Forgeting it for 2 years didn't work.
 Most important to me is to protect my investment. ALL my guns get pulled from the locker and given a cleaning and lubrication of metal parts and wood treatment at least twice a year whether they're used or not. Anything that's become problematic get's a little extra attention.
 In this case, your choke tube has become problematic. Take care of it.
found elsewhere

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 09:45:59 AM »
Given your desire to ignore or rebuff all previous suggestions, you might as well go ahead and use what you want.

The simple truth and easiest way to insure the choke tube won't get stuck again is to remove it, clean it and the threads in the barrel. Give it the care it needs. Forgeting it for 2 years didn't work.
 Most important to me is to protect my investment. ALL my guns get pulled from the locker and given a cleaning and lubrication of metal parts and wood treatment at least twice a year whether they're used or not. Anything that's become problematic get's a little extra attention.
 In this case, your choke tube has become problematic. Take care of it.
Thanks.  I just didn't want to use the same ingredients which failed me.  I hoped that someone might have a better idea which might help us all.  I also believe that not 1 in 100 infrequent shotgunners remove and clean their choke tube threads twice a year.....

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 01:55:15 AM »
I agree i don't clean mine every trip , however i loosen it after every hunt before putting in the safe. I do clean if it got wet or damp. Tube lube is the best for tubes .

Offline Two Bears

• Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2010, 06:29:44 PM »
I dunna know.  Never heard of it.  Somebody chime in, please.

White lithium is the best !
I get it in a tube from Napa for a couple bucks and it works great in the winter as it does not thicken or harden up which makes the removal very easy.
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING 2 GOOD MEN

Offline The Hermit

• A Real Regular
  • Security is the ability to take care of yourself.
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 05:15:24 PM »
Ranger44, remind me never to eat at your aunts house. :)
I have used Permatex with good results.

The Hermit.

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 07:18:43 AM »
I"ve used Rig stainless steel lube for yrs., never had the slightest problem, use it on chokes, nipples, cleanout screws, pack it around all the parts in my locks, course I keep things clean too and if your going to leave a choke for a few yrs. loosen it. There may not yet be a grease available that let's you neglect your firearms and get away with it.
H08

Offline Mack in N.C.

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 06:11:18 PM »
2 years and it seized.....first and i think someone said this.....never leave it for 2 years no matter how ggod you clean it.............i take out my choke tubes and my breech plugs in other guns andthey dont  go back in until i load it.......i also like someone else said clean every gun i have several time a year even if not used.......again i would never leave one installed but thats me...i am a little anal on keeping my guns clean. , i dont care how good the anti seize you use of find is....mack

Offline nessmuk101

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 05:54:41 AM »
I use a light coating of 3 in 1 oil.  Works all the time and it does not stick.  As for never-seize, you should never use more then you can fit on a toothpick, it was desinged for nut and bolt applications, and not for a "closed" application like a choke tube or breech plug on an inline.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 06:06:31 AM »
I use a light coating of 3 in 1 oil.  Works all the time and it does not stick.  As for never-seize, you should never use more then you can fit on a toothpick, it was desinged for nut and bolt applications, and not for a "closed" application like a choke tube or breech plug on an inline.
some is designed for pipe threads and flange faces

Offline DennyRoark

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
    • The Ohio Outdoorsman
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 08:19:10 AM »
I've been a manufacturing maintenance mechanic for almost 30 years.  We lovingly call it "forever sieze"!  Super-Lube synthetic grease (available from MSC and others) for low temp applications lasts a LONG time.  We use it on all tubing connections for our water-jet applications (40 to 50K psi) as well as lubricant in hydraulic and pneumatic cylinder rebuilds.  I also use it on choke tubes and breech plugs.  It works well for me.
Denny Roark
Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)
The Second Amendment...the one that makes all the others possible
I have no problems with vegetarians...I eat them regularly-Ted Nugent
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 11:40:55 AM »
I've been a manufacturing maintenance mechanic for almost 30 years.  We lovingly call it "forever sieze"!  Super-Lube synthetic grease (available from MSC and others) for low temp applications lasts a LONG time.  We use it on all tubing connections for our water-jet applications (40 to 50K psi) as well as lubricant in hydraulic and pneumatic cylinder rebuilds.  I also use it on choke tubes and breech plugs.  It works well for me.
Thanks!!!  That's the info I've been looking for.  Super-Lube synthetic grease is available in small tubes, and I should be able to find one at a big auto parts store or Ace Hardware.

As a side note, I carefully oil and maintain all my firearms.  I shoot a shotgun every two or three years, and I clean it and oil it after every hunting trip, including greasing the choke threads.  I liberally oil the inside of the barrel and place a stopper over the muzzle as a dirt dauber preventative.  I see no sense at all in removing a choke tube in a shotgun that hasn't been fired and hasn't even been touched by a human hand in two to three years other than to wipe down the exterior metal surfaces with an oily rag.  I'm willing to bet that my two shotguns have less rust on them both than any one shotgun owned by the naysayers here.

Again, thanks DennyRoark.  You've helped several guys here I suspect.

Offline Mack in N.C.

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 03:45:56 PM »
up to you,  but part of your problem may be that stopper on the end of your barrel......i wouldnt do that as if any moisture gets in in cant get out...........and if dirt dobbers are (may) get in there then sounds like they are not stored in  a place where they should be stored................mack 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 07:02:51 AM »
Don't know about na sayers but my shot gun has rust from time to time but it dosen't live an easy life , one has gone to the bottom of beaver ponds with me twice , endured many rain storms and the tube comes out easy. I don't oil my gun in hunting season much as deer can smell it . I do oil the tube threads some - CLP , clenzoil or such . Every so often i find a tube of grease made to lube tube therads.

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 09:42:53 AM »
up to you,  but part of your problem may be that stopper on the end of your barrel......i wouldnt do that as if any moisture gets in in cant get out...........and if dirt dobbers are (may) get in there then sounds like they are not stored in  a place where they should be stored................mack 
Dirt daubers are a fact of life in Louisiana.  So is moisture, which is why my long-arms hang on a wall-- with small rags in the muzzles in the case of shotguns and oily cleaning patches in the case of rifles.  My storage method has worked for over 50 years, mostly on the same wall.  I ain't changing it.