Author Topic: anti-seize failed  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Junior1942

• Trade Count: (1)
    • The Frugal Outdoorsman
Re: anti-seize failed
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 03:35:45 AM »
I've been a manufacturing maintenance mechanic for almost 30 years.  We lovingly call it "forever sieze"!  Super-Lube synthetic grease (available from MSC and others) for low temp applications lasts a LONG time.  We use it on all tubing connections for our water-jet applications (40 to 50K psi) as well as lubricant in hydraulic and pneumatic cylinder rebuilds.  I also use it on choke tubes and breech plugs.  It works well for me.
Around the 1st of January I found Super Lube on a pegboard wall rack at Ace Hardware, and used it to lube the chokes on both of my removeable-choke shotguns. Super Lube Sportsman's Kit.  Ace part # 8138299.  About $5 and will last the rest of my life.  Super Lube part # 11520.  www.super-lube.com  The see-through plastic package contained a ~1 oz tube of lube and a ~1 oz pocket clip hypo-luber.  The lube has a viscosity like 3-in-1 Oil.  Yesterday, August 14, 2011, circa 7 months after I installed the Super Lubed chokes, they both uninstalled like they were lubed with a super lubricant, which they were.  So DennyRoark, you get a big ol' attaboy from me!

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 08:53:19 AM »
I use a light coating of 3 in 1 oil.  Works all the time and it does not stick.  As for never-seize, you should never use more then you can fit on a toothpick, it was desinged for nut and bolt applications, and not for a "closed" application like a choke tube or breech plug on an inline.

Works for me also! :)
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 09:09:26 AM »
one can I have in hand says for - bolts , bushings, pipes , fittings , flanges, gaskets, headers, lathe ways, manifolds , nuts, packings , press fits, plugs, screws , studs, threaded surfaces, wire roap.

also noted it works from -95 F to 1800 F
Prevents seizing from high heat
prevents galling .
apply thin coat on threads and flats
That is C5-A felpro
so exactly what brand should not be used ? and what is a closed application ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 09:11:44 AM »
BY the way why is a brush included in the can ? if a tooth pick is better ? I have used it in threaded fittings as large a 6 inch npt can't imagine using a tooth pick .

Offline Gaz-52

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2011, 01:42:27 AM »
    Hey Junior, just another suggestion for a better anti-seize. Lanolin grease is sold here in Aus. under various brand names, "Lanox" is one that I use. It is good gear. and has many uses especially in the boating field. It contains no metallic elements to react with other metals in a salt water environment and will not wash off with water, also good to waterproof wood & leather. Like I said, it is good gear .
         Ps.Some New Zealanders even use it for aftershave. ;D
Cheers Gaz.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2011, 12:13:44 PM »
up to you,  but part of your problem may be that stopper on the end of your barrel......i wouldnt do that as if any moisture gets in in cant get out...........and if dirt dobbers are (may) get in there then sounds like they are not stored in  a place where they should be stored................mack 
Dirt daubers are a fact of life in Louisiana.  So is moisture, which is why my long-arms hang on a wall-- with small rags in the muzzles in the case of shotguns and oily cleaning patches in the case of rifles.  My storage method has worked for over 50 years, mostly on the same wall.  I ain't changing it.
Junior, you might try one of the new barrel inserts which actually absorb moisture also.  ;)  Would possibly help with this issue, but definitely with moisture.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=521529
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2011, 06:40:16 PM »
I think the biggest lesson learn by Junior is to actually care for the chokes in his guns.
That way the anti seize actually gets to do it's job instead of trying to fit off improper use and neglect.
found elsewhere

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2011, 06:32:47 AM »
 ;)

Offline Junior1942

• Trade Count: (1)
    • The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2011, 09:44:38 AM »
I think the biggest lesson learn by Junior is to actually care for the chokes in his guns.
That way the anti seize actually gets to do it's job instead of trying to fit off improper use and neglect.
I prefer redheads to blondes.  Is that OK with you?