Author Topic: Bircher Inc Mortar  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Soot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Bircher Inc Mortar
« on: October 11, 2010, 05:17:25 PM »
I've never seen this mentioned here.but I've spent a lot of time staring at this.
Bircher inc. has this very nice piece.

Offline KABAR2

Re: Bircher Inc Mortar
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 05:30:07 PM »
Yeah I have seen them on Gunbroker, probably the reason no one talks about them is
they are breech loading 12ga salute gun & not a muzzle loader, also they are not a sponsor
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 05:32:27 PM »
Interesting that that gun is not readily visible on their web site.  The bed cheeks are really nice; it looks like they could do a creditable 1841 seacoast mortar.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 05:55:14 PM »
I checked with the mod several months back and got an OK about posting this type gun.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 06:15:26 PM »
Signal guns allowed. We had a letter from ATF posted here a long time ago.

I know some of you guys do business with Bircher...next time you talk to them suggest a sponsorship would be worth while.

It's okay to talk about them, just don't start hawking their wares.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 06:48:45 PM »
 Jim made some in bronze too. Wish I had one of the bronze ones.... Anyway, I can tell you they are nicely made and the elevation mech works very smoothly. Also, they are 10ga.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 06:52:18 PM »
  When I got my cork mortar from them I suggested they consider being a sponsor. I'd think they would pick up some business here.

Looking at their stuff, I'm sure they could put together just about any small cannon/mortar they had a mind to. Going by their prices, I think they must cater more to the fish egg eaters than day laborers like me...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 08:00:16 PM »
I've also at times stared longingly at these BNA 10 gauge signal/salute mortars, but like Victor, when I see the prices I usually snap out of it pretty quickly.
They make them in bronze too.

BNA photo
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 06:53:22 AM »
I been trying to figure out that breech.
It looks like a simple sliding block but with some sorta locking handle.
Maybe it's just a lifting handle, would it need to lock?

Edit: I think that's the hammer.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
I think that the piece on top is a slap hammer; a lanyard is attached to it, and when it's pulled the hammer strikes the firing pin projecting from the sliding block. I don't think that the door locks on this model.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 04:25:53 PM »
Boom J,

You are correct. It is a type of slap hammer. It has a small detent ball to keep the hammer in the up position until the lanyard is pulled. Also, there is no lock on the breech but, there is a spring that pulls it down. If you lift the breech up beyond the half way point then it will pop to the full open position and stay there until it is pushed back down.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline VA Rifleman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 02:56:28 PM »
I know some of you guys do business with Bircher...next time you talk to them suggest a sponsorship would be worth while.

I broached the subject with Jim this summer.  Thinking Jim is a businessman. A busy one that needed a better explanation of the benefits then I could offer. I was very pleased with his services though I wished I took pics of his friends wood fired, steam powered, fiberglass boat with a 40 MM breach loading swivel gun on the bow. Was amazed at how they shoe horned the 2 HP steam engine and wood fired boiler (complete with 3 feed water systems) into the small craft.  They use it to crash the pirates festival in Morehead city. He would fit right in with this crowd. 
Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.