Author Topic: Ashe ordnance works brass cannon  (Read 2963 times)

Offline 191701

• Trade Count: (0)
Ashe ordnance works brass cannon
« on: October 11, 2010, 11:48:54 PM »
There is one for sale local.  Brass with carriage. 44" long  Anyone know anything about these?  

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Re: Ashe ordnance works brass cannon
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:54:28 AM »
Ashe Ordnance Works of Glendale Springs, N. C. made fine, full scale gun carriages but I don't recall them making scale copies although they may have. They didn't make barrels. They went out of business around the early 80's.
Max

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 03:26:37 AM »
It's hard to tell from his description weather the carriage is 44" long or the barrel....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 04:41:32 AM »
If this is the cannon you are refering to. It looks like a really nice piece! I would go for it. I believe that these are photos of it.

Photos from Welch's Antiques

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 06:27:35 AM »
I'll second intoodeep's opinion on this one, I would describe both the barrel and carriage as very desirable.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline 191701

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 12:55:55 PM »
Thats it. I'm sure its out of my price range. What would the value be? Bore size?

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 04:52:33 PM »
Thats it. I'm sure its out of my price range. What would the value be? Bore size?

I can't say for certain what this will bring. I feel that it will be between 3-5K. But, you never know. It could go lower (which I doubt) and it could be higher. If you were to purchase this new from someone that makes cannons of this quality it would probably cost close to 10K.

Now, this is all guessing, as we do not know the size of the bore size ( I'm guessing it's around 2.25") and if the 44" is OAL or just the tube. However, we can gauge the quality from the photo and that Ashe Ordnance had produced quite a few quaility carriages over the years. They also did a few restorations.

In any event it is worth looking at. If you do go please let us know the final results and don't forget to take a tape measure to let us know the bore size.

Offline irishman

• Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 05:36:20 PM »
Very attractive barrel....on my list of to build! I can feel it turning! First one probable 75 cal of maybe 1"

Michael

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 09:18:14 PM »
If Ashe did not make the tube then who did ? The face is atamped Ashe .

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 02:41:09 AM »
My guess is that it's a South Bend barrel but could also be a LePan. If only we could see the right trunnion face. Is unusual to see a barrel made by one company stamped with the name of a different company though. May have been cast by another company using a pattern furnished by Ashe.
Max

Offline exlimey

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 05:03:53 AM »
It looks like a 3pdr Verbrueggen to me which was used during the Rev war but only on field carriages I think i see on the left trunnion a 4 with a wm under it; if so it would be one of Bill Meuses made back in the 70-80s. You will find quite a few of these at Rev War National Park Service sites.These were all sand cast bores not drilled. The right hand trunnion might be marked with an N and a zero above the number of the gun. Hope this is some help.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 03:37:04 PM »
Exlimey  --

Welcome to the board!!
Thanks for the info too.

What do you shoot?
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 03:15:42 AM »
I contacted the outfit running the estate sale to see if it sold, the cannon sold for 5 thousand dollars
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 04:05:42 AM »
I contacted the outfit running the estate sale to see if it sold, the cannon sold for 5 thousand dollars

KABAR2,

Thanks for the info.

Offline exlimey

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 03:55:42 AM »
Exlimey  --

Welcome to the board!!
Thanks for the info too.

What do you shoot?
                    Hi Cat Whisperer   Not shooting much these days but still having fun building and making carriages and cannon, Currently a Carronade from South Bend Replicas; probably his last one! snce i think he has retired by now. If i figure out how to post a pic i will do so when i have it finished.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 08:30:17 AM »
My memory grows dimmer by the day, but I'm sure I've seen your name on another artillery forum (maybe British) that I can't recall the name of right now; anyway, it's good to have you aboard here, exlimey.

The last that I heard, the man that owned 'South Bend Replicas' was selling it to someone that he knew well, and he was planning to stay on as a consultant.

Which size SBR carronade are you working on?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline exlimey

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 04:19:39 AM »
My memory grows dimmer by the day, but I'm sure I've seen your name on another artillery forum (maybe British) that I can't recall the name of right now; anyway, it's good to have you aboard here, exlimey.

The last that I heard, the man that owned 'South Bend Replicas' was selling it to someone that he knew well, and he was planning to stay on as a consultant.

Which size SBR carronade are you working on?  

Hi Boom J   Yep i think both of our "Hard-drives" are probably full up. I have been more of a lurker than a poster over the last...gotta be 8 yrs! There certainly are a lot of knowledgable folk around here and some not so.  The Carronade is Pauls 20" o/a with a bore of 1"1/4 lined of course. My motto from now on is if i cannot carry it on my own; i do not want or need it. ;-) Regards From John in Albany NY

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 09:14:17 AM »
"The Carronade is Pauls 20" o/a with a bore of 1"1/4 lined of course. My motto from now on is if i cannot carry it on my own; i do not want or need it. ;-) Regards From John in Albany NY"

John,
The first sentence makes it clear to me that you've got good taste (I'd like one too), and the second sentence tells me that you've got good sense (no need to break our backs). ;)

I'd be interested to know what type of carriage you're planning for the carronade; one of the reasons I'm attracted to the SBR 1¼-inch bore 'smasher' is because I'd really like to build a sliding carriage for it.