Author Topic: So I traded into a frankengun- is a 357 max barrel safe on a H&R topper 158?  (Read 664 times)

Offline tallpaul

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Well sort of anyhow. A friend of mine gave me this yesterday in a gun/money trade into a marlin 1894 and a couple pellet guns. He knew I was into the handi and the max. He did not like the way the guy fitted the barrel to the frame. I honestly was scared to take her apart to look at it from his description. The gun is tight and tight even with the forend off ;)  Yes the grinding/deburring does not look factory but its not that bad.

I am/was concerned about the frame use with this barrel.

I have a 357 mag handi already that was older and may be on the shotgun frame but its buried right now and I am not sure so I came to the guys that will know!

I like my handi 357 and keep meaning to get the reamer from ya all to do my 357 mag handi and a contender barrel I have but haven't gotten around to it- this may get me off of my butt sooner :D

Thanks in advance- paul

Jesus Loves You.... right now just as you are.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
The Maxi was factory available on the M158, so as long as it's fitted properly which includes good latch engagement(See Barrel Fitting in the FAQs), it should be fine.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline tallpaul

• Avid Poster
Thanks Tim- I thought it was ok but as I get older checkin isn't so bad of an idea... I don't heal as quick as I used to....

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
I don't heal as quick as I used to....

I know that to be a fact :'( :'( :'(

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
Pete,  I am tempted to second that, but then this thread is just going to turn into a bunch of us old farts complaining about old man health problems...

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Pete's not an OF.  In my opinion, anybody who chases bears and cougars in Da U.P. with a single shoot rifle is a young whipper snapper! ;D

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline tallpaul

• Avid Poster
I am the original poster and only 47 and  say go for it if we need a old fart aches n pains discussion ;)

Offline gjdykeman

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
Ok, I am an old fart. Is close to 59 an old fart? I don't have time to be an old fart. I will not use any other gun this year for hunting except Handy's, I have 6. The hand made muzzleloader will shoot at some deer, on Sat. The sport. The 45LC will shot at some deer, Opening day. The 270 will shoot at some deer, last day. The 223 will shoot at some turkeys, or coyotes, or squirrels, or what ever. I spent 100.00 on licenses, I will be out there. The 12g will fire in the woods at some point. The 410 maybe. All are going out at some point. By the way my 45LC is on a topper frame and wood and I have 6 different loads fired many times with absolutely no issues. My favorite. Red dot scope, quick, accurate, short and light.  
SFC US Army 32y 8m 13d RET