Author Topic: 16 Gauge Topper 88 ends the drought  (Read 930 times)

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
16 Gauge Topper 88 ends the drought
« on: October 12, 2010, 06:12:20 AM »
I took yesterday off to do some fall turkey hunting, brought the 16 gauge out for our brief 5 day fall shotgun turkey season. I haven't shot a turkey for over 2 years. I hunted all morning without seeing any birds then finally in the afternoon I found a good size flock in a big open farm field. I busted the flock and managed to split the flock halfway down the middle so that half went to one end of the field and the other half went to the opposite end. Luckily there was one small bush that somewhat blocked the bird's view of me so I was able to belly crawl and get within 30 yards of where I thought the birds would meet back up. Sure enough after a while they started calling each other and one half of the flock started walking towards the others. They were single file so I picked out the biggest one and waited until he put his head up and pulled the trigger. The distance was approximately 27 yards.

I used Remington Game Loads 1 oz. #6 shot through the factory fixed Mod choke. The bird weighed 17 pounds:

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline kaveman

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: 16 Gauge Topper 88 ends the drought
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 10:25:39 AM »
Thanks for sharing a neat story, my son and I were talking yesterday about putting the sneek on some fall turkeys just like you described, that 16 looks great with the straight stock, be safe
                                                      Kaveman

Offline grumpyErik

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 10:55:25 AM »
Congratulations. That is a nice looking bird taken with an equally nice looking shotgun. 
Click once, cuss repeatedly.

Offline JoseBob

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 11:55:21 AM »
Great way to make some meat.  Real proud that the Sweet 16 is still doin it right.  Oh, by the way, iffin ya ever get tired of her just let me know.  LOL.... I still can't find one, but there is always tomorrow. 

Draw a fine bead on em Son.  Bobby
Draw a fine bead on em Son!

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 04:48:19 AM »
The kids and I had marinated breast the last couple nights, they loved it.

Bobby, I know what you're saying about finding the 16's. It took me a while to find this one.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783