Author Topic: Scope Base Suggestions for LA Rem 700's  (Read 477 times)

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Scope Base Suggestions for LA Rem 700's
« on: October 12, 2010, 08:15:21 AM »
I have two guns that I would like to scope.  One is a Rem 700 BDL in 7mm RUM and the other is a Rem 700 ADL in .338 WM.  I'm trying to find bases that will stand up to the recoil of these two cartridges.  My plan is to use Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts since I have used these and have had good results with them. 

I was thinking of using 1pc bases for both of these.  Do you think that either Burris or Leupold dovetail bases would hold up under the recoil?  I have heard stories of the front mounts breaking.  My other thought was to use 1pc Weaver or Picatinny mounts.  I know these would not fail.

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Scope Base Suggestions for LA Rem 700's
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 02:11:23 AM »
Ok here is my take on this  ;) the Old Redfield junior design which is the type your asking about will not take the recoil for extended time as all the recoil shock is basically handled by the front ring and tenon. Those little windage jam screws do not take much at all. So if you want to use those type of rings then your going to need the dual turn in mounts which have the tenons front and rear.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 07:18:17 AM »
I use only two types of bases on all my Remington 700s and for that matter the Model Sevens as well.

On light recoiling M700s and on my M7s I use the Weaver style base and if you want they are available in steel as well as aluminum for the harder kickers. But for harder recoiling rifles I use the Burris Double Dovetail bases or the Leupold Dual Dovetail bases. With either I prefer the Burris Signature rings.

The old Redfield patent windage adjustable rear base is the weakest set up you can buy. I use it ONLY if it's the ONLY type available for a gun and so far the Browning LW is the only thing I haven't been able to find another option for.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JW307

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 08:11:31 AM »
The other thing you might consider is the Talley ring-mounts that combine the base and ring in one machined piece.  I've never tried them myself but I know a local custom rifle builder who puts a set that he hand laps on everything he builds.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 05:44:17 AM »
My 2 cents...I use Leupi 2 pc bases on everything pretty much...stand up fine on my 375HH and 35whalen.  My 300 is a ruger and their integral base set is just great.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 06:13:40 AM »
I only use Weaver styles on the heavy kickers.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Val

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 03:40:40 PM »
I was having scope problems with my hard kicking 300 RUM.  I went to a one piece Picatinny base with weaver scope rings. Problem solved.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.