Author Topic: .44 magnum "trapper"  (Read 625 times)

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
.44 magnum "trapper"
« on: October 13, 2010, 04:44:21 PM »
I ordered a Talo edition .44 magnum Trapper with some trepidation.I had heard a lot of things on here about the bore and the chambers of .44 magnums giving poor accuracy that I was really hesitant.In the past I have had several Handi rifles that were poor in accuracy.The .243 ultra-lite comes to mind.It was worse than the .270 which was bad.I have found as have many others on here that the 45-70 was a real sweetheart.
Any rifle that isn't accurate doesn't stay with me very long.The only remaining Handi rifle in my safe was the 45-70.Sooo,I went ahead and ordered the .44 magnum.
I received a rather good looking short rifle manufactured in Ilion,NY in 2010.I took it to the range and shot it some with iron sights.The results were promising so I decided to scope it.An opportunity arose for a 3X9X40 Cabela's scope.This is a bit much for this rifle but I decided to go ahead and do it since I got a good buy on it.I will never regret this decision.
As I said it seems like a bit too much scope for this rifle but it does great.I wish I had taken some pictures at the range today.Using my handloads of 240 grain SWC cast I got two  groups of three shots each at fifty yards in  which all three shots in each group were touching one inch left of the bull.I don't usually shoot quite this good.Almost but not quite.
My intention is to use this rifle for deer and hog hunting in very thick stuff where the absolute longest shot will be a bit less than fifty yards.
I've got to say that this .44 is one that's going to be in my use for awhile.Some of the predecessor .44's might have had problems but these new ones don't.
Forum member comments and experiences with the .44 magnum Handi rifle will be appreciated.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.