Author Topic: question on patches and T7  (Read 475 times)

Offline woodswatcher

• Trade Count: (0)
question on patches and T7
« on: October 14, 2010, 05:22:56 AM »
i am thinking about switching over to T7 in my sidelocks. i currently have been using the pillow tickling patches prelubed with a bore butter type lube. they are a prepackaged T/C bought in bulk.

has anyone experienced any negatives with this combo?

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: question on patches and T7
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 06:17:07 AM »
You don't say what you're switching from nor why, but 777 is noted for burning hotter than BP or pyrodex and tends to blow patches. I really see no reason to use it. The packaged pre-lubed patches are OK but if they sit around for years, as they sometimes do, the lube not only drys out but will break down and weaken the fabric. Again, I see no reason to use them when I can buy a yard of cloth for about the price of 100 pre-cuts and make several hundred patches which I lube as I shoot and thus know the lube is fresh and consistent. There are many more options as to type and thickness of material at the fabric store than at the gun store, likewise many more options as to lube, plain old spit being my own favorite. ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline woodswatcher

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 07:53:56 AM »
thats what i was wondering.

I have always used Pyrodex or Goex in my sidelocks, but have been using T7 in my inlines. I was thinking about simplifying my life and running only T7 in all of them.

Offline Semisane

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 10:28:39 AM »
For patched ball shooting?  Of those three powders I would rank them GOEX #1, Pyrodex #2 and  T7 #4.  If you can get GOEX that's what I would use. (I buy mine by the case.  ;) )  T7 won't do anything GOEX can't do, and usually doesn't do it as well.

Do as CoyoteJoe says.  Get yourself some pure cotton pillow tick from a fabric store and cut your own patches.  Square is fine - shoots same as round.  Try olive oil lube.  You might like it.  That's all I use these days.
CLICK ON ME: .
Link to... highchairstands@cox.net

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 01:26:54 AM »
if  you shoot t7 and it blows your patch you might use a card over powder.
 are just put about 1/4 piece  of tissue paper over powder. the old timers used hornet nest.