Author Topic: Handloads vrs Factory  (Read 2511 times)

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: Handloads vrs Factory
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2010, 02:50:05 PM »
The corroner will put what bullet was used in his report if it is still in the body.
The Police will put what brass was collected at the sceene in his report as well as any bullets recovered.
Don't think that you are not going to have your shooting go with out questions and an investagation.

Nobody is saying they won't collect brass and bullets and answers to questions. Lots of questions.
I was just saying if they decide it's justifiable homicide after those things, it stays justifiable regardless if you use a gun/bullets, or a shotgun, or a brass fireplace poker. Never heard of anyone getting convicted on bullets in a justifiable homicide.  

I totally agree with all about being extra cautious, I know there are prosecutors and judges who are not good at all and have made good people flat broke on self defense, I totally agree. Just never heard of bullets being a reason for conviction. If it ever happened at all..would have to be Washington D.C., and that don't count!  Their crazy there.  :D

It is not only the Prosicuters there are the Personal Injury Ambulance chasers out there that will sue you on behalf of the family or the person.
Answers of "I used the best one shot stop round in the gun store I could find", may help you.  But ask your attorney.
Heck if there are questions about what you are carrying ask an attorney.  Each state is different. And what may be fine in your state may not be in the next one.  While you may have asked the CCW instructor he is not an attorney.  There are ones that specalize in CCW and an hour of his/ her time at 100 to 200 an hour may save you down the road.  You will also have his card if anything happens.  Hand the card to the police.  Or what ever the Lawyer says to do.  After all you just paid him $200 bucks for his advise.
Even things you would think are silly may matter.  Here in CA you are not allowed to have a wallet holster. You have seen wallet holsters for the Berretta 22, and 25's that look like a wallet and hold the gun so you can shoot with it in place.  Even in your house.   So sticking a 22 in your pack pocket and go out and work in the garden with the kids.  A  Coyote or dog comes up and goes after the kids and you shoot the dog / coyote, police show up cause they heard shots or the neighbors called them and you are arrested for having an illegal holster.  OK almost happened to my buddy but his next door neighbor was a cop and got him back out of the towns police car.
Your CCW in CA can not be a Single action revolver.  Are there any really silly laws in your state?  Are you breaking them?  The lawyer would know.

Offline jimster

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
Your CCW in CA can not be a Single action revolver.

I didn't know that, interesting. If I ever move I have a lot to learn about where I move to.

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2010, 03:27:34 PM »
If you ever have to shoot someone with handloads the other guys lawyer will definately paint you as a crazed killer just looking for someone to shoot with your sooped up man killer bullets. I love handloads too, but if I think there is a chance I may have to defend myself, then it's time for the factory stuff.

I have heard this claim made a number of times, but so far nobody has provided any evidence to back up the claim. I believe it is just "internet wisdom" at work.

???  ???  ???

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2010, 03:31:37 PM »
I'm just glad I live in America instead of California.  Here in Indiana we don't get CCW permits, we get a good for a lifetime LTCH or license to carry handgun.  You can carry concealed as most of us do or open carry if you so desire.  No concern of types of holsters, printing or any of the other petty things most gunowners elsewhere have to concern themselves with.  Most cities and small towns have ordinances against shooting within city limits unless it's a defensive situation.  Other than that, that most uncommon commodity of common sense is the rule of the day in most cases.

Online JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2010, 04:29:03 PM »
Handloads for practice ...  Factory for carry, whatever the prevailing law enforcement choice is. 

+1

If the unthinkable ever happens, and you are ever called to account for what you carry, how can you go wrong with "My CCW instructor said I should find out what my local police department uses, so I called and talked with officer so & so.  He said they use Brand X, so that's what I bought and keep in my gun for protection.  I figure if it is good enough for the boys in blue its good enough for me."

I'm Just Sayin'

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Savage

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2010, 02:05:27 PM »
I consider my reloads to be as well assembled as factory ammo, and would have no problem using them in a self defense situation. I don't consider them to be more efficient in a SD role than the factory loadings.  From an unsupported position, few of us can shoot 2" 25yd groups anyway, so I'd say accuracy differences between factory and hand loads is a moot point. With any legitimate published load, we'd be hard pressed to best factory velocities, and considering we're using their bullets, terminal performance should be about the same. The only legitimate reason I can think of for using reloads for carry, is cost. With premium pistol ammo selling for more than a buck per round, if you shoot much you'd better have deep pockets. I shoot 50rds of factory ammo a year doing my annual qualification, the rest of the time I'm shooting my reloads and carrying fresh factory stuff.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 02:37:17 AM »
If you look you will see Ayoob listed cases where ammo was challenged. Heres what I do . If just everyday carry its factory. If hunting it can be anything factory ot hand loaded . If going or comming from target pratice it could be either. I can't help it if someone attacks me while hunting or target shooting. On the other hand why risk having to spend money to defend ones self if you can avoid it ? A buddy is getting a divorce and it cost him 75 dollars every 15 min when the lawyer calls him.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Savage

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 05:10:31 AM »
I have to agree that although it's unlikely your ammo choice will be a factor in a justifiable shooting, it's an unnecessary risk. As Shootall said, why take the chance?
Savage

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 10:16:34 AM »
I would venture that this is the point in this thread where its time to say " A word to the wise should be sufficent " and let it go at that  :D

Offline jimster

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2010, 01:54:44 PM »
A buddy is getting a divorce and it cost him 75 dollars every 15 min when the lawyer calls him.

Tell your buddy to fire the lawyer and give the X anything she wants, it's cheaper in the long run. Faster too.

Depending on where you live and your situation and who's in power where you live, do what you think you need to do with your ammo.
I got no beef with someone in Mass. trying to be careful as they can, if you can carry a gun at all there, I would imagine it's quite a feet to say anything
at all would be self defense out that way. For some of us that live in a dfferent spot, we might carry some guns sometimes that only use handloads, but we don't worry about such things where we are at. We all don't have the same worries. Could be that's the case for more topics than just handloads too.
Sometimes whan you cross a border your in a different world with different rules.

Online JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2010, 04:28:21 PM »
" A word to the wise should be sufficient "

+1

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline ChrisG19

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2010, 05:06:07 AM »
I choose factory ammunition, specifically what the police use: Gold Dot, Golden Saber or Winchester Ranger.  
- One reason is flash reduction as most encounters happen in low/no light.  Always test (safely) your carry load in low/no light.  Seeing purple dots afterward?  Try something else.
- Ballistics testing either by FBI or recognized independent lab provides an idea how the cartridge may perform.  Meets a standard.
- Another reason is liability.  If the ammunition fails to fire, I can take it up with the manufacturer.
- Last reason is the nebulous civil suit/rogue prosecutor.

If it's good enough for "the man", it's good enough for me!  Of course, this is just my $0.02 worth.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2010, 05:29:05 AM »
Also if you use what LE uses in your area then who can complain ? Its the gold standard in your area right. Why do anything that could be used aginst you ?

never  heard  this view point before

BRILIENT

your defence lawer  ask  the bailiff to show the jury  what he is carrying for ammo
after the  prosecutor  portrays  you as a madman  for your choice  of ammo
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline jimster

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2010, 09:36:51 AM »
If you wind up in court at all arguing about ammo, you done missed the boat on "justifiable homicide" a long time ago, or you would not be in court at all.

Jim

Offline ChrisG19

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2010, 04:40:43 AM »
If you wind up in court at all arguing about ammo, you done missed the boat on "justifiable homicide" a long time ago, or you would not be in court at all.

Jim

Indeed, a good shoot is a good shoot regardless what you use.  It's that civil suit that bothers me most.

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2010, 07:38:53 AM »
I think some of you guys need to spend some serious time sorting out your lawmakers.  Common sense dictates that if deadly force is justified, there can be no civil suit.  Lawmakers have too many running scared, and crying before they're even hurt.  If you use a baseball bat to defend yourself, is it going to be considered worse if the bat has been corked or pine tarred?  Better make sure to only use a standard bat you know little about rather than one that has been modified to swing better.  Sometimes I wonder which side some of you guys are on.   ::)

Offline Savage

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2010, 07:58:38 AM »
Common sense dictates that if deadly force is justified, there can be no civil suit.

If only that were true! In states with the "Castle Doctrine" laws, one using deadly force to protect life and property have protection from civil action in a justifiable event. Unfortunately, all states have yet to adopt such laws. In those states, a successful criminal defense does not guarantee the same result in a civil action. You don't have to look far to find numerous cases where persons injured while committing criminal acts, have successfully sued the "would be" victim of their actions.  Something worth consideration, I'd say.
Savage

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2010, 08:38:09 AM »
Common sense dictates that if deadly force is justified, there can be no civil suit.

If only that were true! In states with the "Castle Doctrine" laws, one using deadly force to protect life and property have protection from civil action in a justifiable event. Unfortunately, all states have yet to adopt such laws. In those states, a successful criminal defense does not guarantee the same result in a civil action. You don't have to look far to find numerous cases where persons were injured while committing criminal acts, have successfully sued the "would be" victim of their actions.  Something worth consideration, I'd say.
Savage
And even if you defend yourself you will have spent thousands and may be bankrupt .
Old Syko when did common sense ever enter the picture ? Ask OJ !

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2010, 09:16:01 AM »
If only that were true! In states with the "Castle Doctrine" laws, one using deadly force to protect life and property have protection from civil action in a justifiable event. Unfortunately, all states have yet to adopt such laws. In those states, a successful criminal defense does not guarantee the same result in a civil action. You don't have to look far to find numerous cases where persons were injured while committing criminal acts, have successfully sued the "would be" victim of their actions.  Something worth consideration, I'd say.
Savage

This is why I made the beginning statement in the quote you used. 

I think some of you guys need to spend some serious time sorting out your lawmakers

Facing heavier penalties due to the type of ammo used in a self defense situation, if it ever happened, would be nothing more than a symptom of a much larger problem.  In states where civil suits are allowed regardless of cause or liability, how often due huge numbers of citizens show up to defend the innocent.  I've never heard of it happening.  Too many are only concerned with what happens in their own living room.  Too many are already running scared, afraid to exercise their rights for fear they might have to defend themselves.  Conquered without even so much as a whimper.

SHOOTALL, Ask OJ.  Really?  This could be the first time I've seen OJ and common sense used in the same sentence.   :D   His outcome was determined by the common beliefs of those from the land of the lost.  Common sense outside fantasy land is a different animal, but you know this as well as I do.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2010, 09:23:28 AM »
My point was he won in criminal and lost in civil which you suggested was aginst common sense . I pointed out in many places with regard to law common sense is not considered .