Author Topic: Trigger work on AR-15's?  (Read 884 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Trigger work on AR-15's?
« on: October 16, 2010, 06:34:07 AM »
Curious about the trigger modifications on AR-15's, checked the Midway catalog and they have numerous aftermarket models, but boy are they pricey.  Can the factory version be reduced in poundage like the easy to do Remington 700 bolt action rifle, or the Timney drop-in like I did with my Ruger 77/17 rimfire gun?

Thanks.

Offline nhnef

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Versatile Hunter
Re: Trigger work on AR-15's?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 07:45:08 AM »
Check out JP custom products.  They have a spring only kit that I have used on my MP 15-22.  It uses the exact same fire control group as an AR.  Just replace the springs and polish up the sides of the sear and you can make a huge difference.  That being said...there is nothing like the complete JP trigger kit.  Breaks beautifully and no creep.
http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.1_fc.php

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 09:46:41 AM »
blue lives matter

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 01:06:45 PM »
Thanks for the info, I am seriously thinking of getting an AR-15, would like the long barreled hunter model and wanted the option of altering the trigger as I have heard people complain about it.  I grew up shooting military surplus rifles so I might not mind the trigger, will see.  I have had to alter the triggers on several of my bolt action hunting guns as they were so heavy from the factory. :(

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 06:43:21 PM »
The AR triggers are not that difficult.  If you want something really crisp, get a JP, Timney, Jewell, or Chip McCormick.  If you want something better than stock, get a good stone and get to work.  Just go slow.  It's like other triggers, just work the engagement surfaces.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 01:21:10 AM »
Bill does good work and has a fast turnaround. For the prices he charges its hardly worth wasting my time doing it myself.
blue lives matter

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 05:00:41 AM »
+1 to Lloyd.  I got bored one day, so started messing with mine.  But if you don't want to do it yourself and don't want to spend the money for the others, send it to Bill.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 02:42:32 PM »
Actually a REAL trigger job on a factory trigger, (not a spring job)  including tapping and installing a trigger overtravel stop in the receiver, only takes about 40 minutes. Not everyone can do it, but ole Bill is making good money on the triggers, to the tune of about $50.00+ per hour.
If I could get a guaranteed 4 a day, I'd retire AGAIN. But that's wishful thinkin.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 03:14:08 PM »
ROck river makes agreat two stage national match trigger.  I would highly recomend it, easy to install and a perfect hunting trigger.

Offline nhnef

• Versatile Hunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 07:17:19 AM »
Be careful while "polishing" the engagement on the sear.  If the trigger, hammer or sear are only surface hardened as many are you will quickly remove the hardened surface.  So you may end up with a trigger that feels great today but after a hundred rounds or so may end up being unsafe.  I'm not saying this will happen but it can and does happen often to surface hardened metals.  Be careful when polishing and often only polishing the sides will create a trigger that loses the gritty feeling while still keeping the safety of a hardened sear and engagement surface.

Just my .02 warning.