Author Topic: Anybody Try Lee Case Length Gage & Shellholders for Trimming?  (Read 1004 times)

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Anybody Try Lee Case Length Gage & Shellholders for Trimming?
« on: October 17, 2010, 04:39:42 AM »
I came across a youtube video of one of the Lee Case Length Gages & Shellholders being used on an RCBS case prep station.  It looks like a pretty slick operation and time saver.  I was just wondering if anybody else had used one or something similar.  I figured it would come in handy when prepping .223/5.56 and .308 cases to feed my ar's. 

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=107333
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=271467

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW0VCej_nz8

Offline dickttx

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Anybody Try Lee Case Length Gage & Shellholders for Trimming?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 05:43:20 AM »
I have one for every cartridge I load.  Very simple and precise.  I have a lathe type that was never satisfactory, which is why I went to the Lee.  If you have a very high volume you might want to try their 3 jaw chuck as the slow part is tightening and loosning the shell holder ring.

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 05:49:41 AM »
That's about all I use to get my cases back to spec.  I chuck the shell holder up in a cordless drill.  My cutter has the wooden ball on it, makes it easy to hold while the drill is spinning the case.  Lee also makes a "Zip Trim" that you mount on the bench, you pull a cord to spin the case, much like cranking a chainsaw.  I've been thinking about getting one of those.

The only disadvantage is that you cannot "customize" the length like you can with some of the other case trimmers out there.  I guess you can shorten the length by grinding the tip of the gage, but you wouldn't be able to lengthen it.  I keep an old Pacific case trimmer on hand just in case, but I hardly ever use it.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 07:47:28 AM »
I use them all the time. I still have a Foster trimmer for custom work.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 08:22:03 AM »
I use'm too, sweet, simple, inexpensive and the same every time. Each stem is the exact length you need!
 Use the Zip Trim too, It has clamping slots as well as screw attachments. I keep it off to the side and when I need to trim just pull it out, clamp it with a long reach clamp I modified a bit to fit the clamp spot. The base needed to be sanded flat with some 80 grit as the two plastic halves didn't fit well on the bottom (molding issues).

I bought a cutting head for each of my 3 cal's, and just got some wood ball from the Art's an Crafts store instead of paying Lee to glue one on.

Keeping the shell holder and case straight when useing the drill attachment was problematic, it would wobble the case neck (undesirable), getting the case in the shell holder and tightening was tough with one hand. The Zip Trim solved that, I can use both hands to position everything proper. Nice straight spin,, ;D
found elsewhere

Offline the jigger

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 08:24:01 AM »
I use them for everything that I reload. I chuck the shellholder in a 1/4" drill and do the same operations shown in the video.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 10:34:28 AM »
I have one for every cartridge I load.  Very simple and precise.  I have a lathe type that was never satisfactory, which is why I went to the Lee.  If you have a very high volume you might want to try their 3 jaw chuck as the slow part is tightening and loosning the shell holder ring.

+1  I intend to get the chuck as my only issue with them is sometimes the base wants to slip if I go too quickly or I tear up my finger trying to get the base tight enough not to slip.  8)  I've noticed a big improvement in group consistency since starting to do this.  It's amazing how much brass grows when shooting higher power loads...  :o
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline JRiddle

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 11:07:12 AM »
Big fan of em here too, got about 12 of em...best thing since sliced bread.
JR
"Give me Liberty...or I'll get up, and get it myself."

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 06:27:31 PM »
Yes I use it also I just chuck it up in my Dewalt cordless drill and I am good to go. Works great I have a RCBS lathe type trimmer also but the Lee trimmer is better in my opinion. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 07:27:32 PM »
I use them on every cartridge I load for. The only caveat would be that the lock stud can be worn away after years of use (or 1000's of cartridges) and you will start getting short cases. The fix is easy: the cutter and lock stud come together and are inexpensive enough to have several.

I have also realized that when the load data for certain bullets advises you to trim your cases 20 thou short so their long bullet can be seated to the cannelure and not exceed COAL, the very simplicity of my Lee trimmers limit their versatility. They can trim to the trim-to length - period. I recently placed an order with Lee for a custom length guage to fit my 357 Maxi cases, and it was only $20. I am eagerly waiting it's arrival so I can see how it works !

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 07:34:08 PM »
I've been using the Lee trimmers on my RCBS TrimMate for quite a while now.

Tim

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,27212.msg255869.html#msg255869

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline fastchicken

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 08:13:07 AM »
I use them as well but I don't use the lock-stud. I just chuck the cutter & case length gauge [to center the cutter] in my cordless drill then I set my calipers for the max case length. Any cases that fit go in the load pile, any that don't I just hold the case and, through trial and error, give them a 1 second turn on the drill. That will trim them within the min. and max. length and I've never noticed a difference in accuracy shooting cases of different lengths.
  Saves a lot of time not having to put each case in the shell holder, besides, when I chuck my shell holder in the drill it always seems to not spin true [tried several drills & holders]. That causes the case to wobble and the length gauge ends up expanding the case mouth and i don't get good neck tension.

Offline McDerry

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 09:24:44 PM »
There so quick.   Chuck up the cutter and guide in a drill press and start trimming real fast.  Bottom the guide out on the drill presses plate.   Just shy of 2000 so cases in an hour.

No drill press?   Chuck up the cutter in a 1/2 drill and put the holder into a 4 way screwdriver. 

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 08:56:05 AM »
 :) I to have one for every chambering I load for.  Consistency is good for accuracy & @ this point in time minimum length cases provide all the consistency I could hope for.  However, we can make the length longer if we feel necessary by installing a custom fit washer between the cutting head & the shank that is stoned to the thickness needed to get the length desired.  But I load for Handi's, & a TC Contender & I like useing minimum length cases in break action rifles.  This practice has not been a disadvantage for me in my bolt action rifles.

I like this gauge very much.  All the tips mentioned above to increase speed are great, or one can simply do it by hand for low volume reloading.

Good Luck - Good Shooting - Jim -   8)
Jim