Author Topic: Is a Knight KP1 worth owning?  (Read 3547 times)

Offline crazy dave 72k5

• Trade Count: (0)
Is a Knight KP1 worth owning?
« on: October 17, 2010, 10:11:11 AM »
I bought one a few weeks ago after reading good reviews on them .Then after I got it I found out there are trigger group, and firing pin problems with them. I also read some wouldnt open after shooting rifle cartriges so I went out and shot some 243 rounds through it and no problems. Got my scope mounted on my ML barrel and went to range to sight in after 4 shots the gun failed to fire. The pin wasnt contacting the primer. Finally contacted Pradco after 3 days of leaving messages sent the gun in my shipping cost. They said problem was a broken firing pin they replaced and sent an extra. I guess they are expecting another one to break. I have read others have had problems repaired and not had any more trouble then there are some who have sent their gun back multiple times for repair. I like the feel and accuracy of the gun but is drawing down on a nice buck only to have it go click worth it because of some inferior parts. I dont see it benefitting the company that sold knight and is stuck with the warranty problems developing an improved trigger group for this gun. My question is should I keep this gun or drop it like a hot potato? Any advice would be greatly appreciated  thanks Dave

Offline moorepower

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Is a Knight KP1 worth owning?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 01:51:09 PM »
I got them to give me an improved trigger group! I have two and I like them both. I admit, that I am picking up some spare parts however. From the looks of the design, only the firing pin and trigger could possibly cause issues. I would like to buy an additional trigger group to have.

Offline crazy dave 72k5

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 02:59:11 PM »
Thanks Moorepower
I kind of hate to get rid of it it shoots good. when it shoots. After I bought it I started hearing stories of trigger groups falling out and  firing pins breaking. I was going to buy a T/C but Ill admit I didnt cause I read good reviews how it was better and actually price sold me on the knight. Also you pay that much for a gun you expect it to last generations not 4 shots. I guess Ill shoot it some more and see what happens. I assumed Id be getting a new trigger group also but that wasnt the case. I never got to speak to anyone other than a secretary we comunicated through e-mail. Thanks for your input Dave   

Offline cranedriver

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
I have nothing but good experience out of my Kp1. I have owned mine for about a year with no problems. Mine is a 45-70 but am looking forward to picking up a 300 Win Mag barrel for it soon. I have heard all the problems with the trigger groups I wish the new company would offer the improved trigger group for sale I would buy it just to stick back.

Offline crazy dave 72k5

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 04:14:47 AM »
They left the old one on mine. I have heard the new ones have a heavy pull they dont have much curve to the trigger also. I hope omeone comes out with a good replacement the rest of the gun is top notch. we will just have to wait and see.   

Offline cranedriver

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 07:48:45 AM »
Does yours have the safety on the hammer?

Offline crazy dave 72k5

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 05:21:41 AM »
Yes it does and I was upset they didnt change it out but after seeing the update version(it looks horrible almost straight down like a kid in shop class designed it) and hearing the trigger pull is heavier I was glad they didnt update it.

Offline moorepower

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 12:13:39 PM »
The new one is going to be real easy for a "gunsmith" to do a trigger job on.

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 01:23:06 PM »
yes its worth owning, but I too had to send mine in firing pin broke and it would not open. new trigger group and its been perfect since shoots 1" or less with most loads. mine is .243.
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Offline crazy dave 72k5

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 02:25:03 PM »
Thanks coop2564
Im going to use it this deer season.But I got my eye out for a savage ml10.