Author Topic: Cryptic Message in from CW  (Read 4921 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Cryptic Message in from CW
« on: October 17, 2010, 02:42:56 PM »
multiple fractures sprained right wrist - will be oof line for some weeks prognosis good  - will know in 10 days if surgery is needed -- just will take time to heal.  All is well - details when it's not such a pia to type.

I know no other details.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
Re: Cryptic Message in from CW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 03:00:25 PM »
Related to recent post re painting the house on a long ladder?  Get well soon CW!
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 03:01:47 PM »
multiple fractures sprained right wrist - will be oof line for some weeks prognosis good  - will know in 10 days if surgery is needed -- just will take time to heal.  All is well - details when it's not such a pia to type.

I know no other details.

Lng story - I'm ok, but typing left-handed one-finger ISapain,,,,,more in a few days.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Keep on pecking
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 03:51:20 PM »
one handed , and wishes for a speedy recovery !
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 04:44:47 PM »
Dang CW, don't know what happened but get well soon!

We promise to behave while you're recuperating...

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 06:23:39 PM »
     CW,   Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery from the Seacoast boys.

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 10:17:27 PM »
Ouch! I hope it sounds worse than it is, because it sounds pretty painful; hang tough, and clue us in when you feel up to it.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 01:59:42 AM »
In our prayers for a speedy recovery CW.

Offline Double D

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 07:33:37 AM »
Take care and get well Tim! 

No worries here...to paraphrase the immortal Alexander  Haig "As of now, I am in control here in...at GBOCannons!"   ;D.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 02:17:39 PM »
Well hopefully like cats.. Catwisper's land on their feet! ..... Prayers for a speedy recovery

Allen <><

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 02:33:52 PM »
THANKS ALL!
Details and pix [ewwww] in a day or two when I'm up to it.
I'll see the orthopedic surgeon at 0800 tomorrow to determine IF surgery is needed.
It could have been MUCH worse, SOMEONE was watching over my safety.
Still one-finger typing, I need to say much more, --- in a day or two.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline VA Rifleman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 02:34:32 PM »
CW,

Darn it.  :(     Hope things heal in the best possible manner and in the quickest time.

We are all pulling for yah!
 :)
Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 05:18:02 PM »
     Tim, you MUST concentrate on your one handed, one finger typing.  I just reread Double D.'s Alexander Haig comment which he casually tossed out there like a 70 Lb. lead ingot.  Watch out for your toes!  Tim, I don't know if we can stand a true dictatorship at GBO Mortar and Cannon.  I got to thinking about his comment and all kinds of scary possibilities presented themselves.  Just think about all those miles he drove that harvester lately, after a while you are driving on autopilot, your mind free to roam among far more interesting subjects.  Who knows, but it's truly concerning us when we imagine that he could possibly have a 50-Page Photo and Quote Citation Protocall dreamed up by now with a complete, fleshed out rules section and a tutorial that all members must go through, with an electronic graded quiz on the content and an electronic sign and return statement that pledges absolute compliance to the tenants of the Protocall.  I may have overdone it here, but remember these are just suppositions, not facts.  We don't really know what he meant by the Haig quote.  Please practice your one finger typing just in case, Tim. 

Thanks,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 06:22:49 PM »
CW, here's wishing you a speedy recovery. Frank

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 09:21:15 AM »
yes get better soon ! ;D best wishes Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 10:02:38 AM »
THANKS ALL!

Surgeon says do nothing for 6 months [bone chips] and consider surgery IF pain warrents it.
Pix and explanation tonight -- up to TWO finergs typing now!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 10:50:22 AM »
"do nothing for 6 months"

And this will be different . . . how?

Just kidding!

OBTW: Sounds like you need to keep your finergs out'a the pain meds.  ;) :D ;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 12:04:40 PM »
DD I hope you're OK, havent seen you on for a while...

Here's what happened Sat afternoon.  1917 Enfield .30-06 197gr light loads.  I figure 5th shot broke the firing pin.  Pics show 6th shot, all single-loaded.  Image of outline of floorplate on left hand.  Follower found, spring missing,floorplate found.  Vent down pushed all that stuff out.  Vent in right side of receiver 'tourched' the end of my ring finger.  Case left in chamber.  Bolt ONLY came part way back and was jammed by what was left of the extractor!!!!!!  Note ejector and bolt stop wedged open. 

OK, so I'm standing there noting the kaboom - a little extra smoke - the cocking piece just grazed my chest but didn't tear the tee shirt and two spots of blood.  I look at my right palm and see an opening 2" x 1/2" deep.  Took a minute to turn my hand over to [thankfully] see that nothing went through.  About a dozen there; two fellows took charge in helping.  Ambulance to wytheville hospital, flight to Roanoke [nearest orthopedics].

I thank God that the damage was MINIMAL - we could see two tendons, no nerve nor tendon damage.  Lots of ifs - I've seen cocking pieces hit people in the face; I was standing therefore just a graze.  If the bolt wasn't wedged and kept going ...

THANKS again for your prayers, thoughts and patience with cryptic messages.  Now it's wait and heal.

Last pix could have been banned  if I'd posted the other side view.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 12:44:45 PM »
     Tim, you MUST concentrate on your one handed, one finger typing.  I just reread Double D.'s Alexander Haig comment which he casually tossed out there like a 70 Lb. lead ingot.  Watch out for your toes!  Tim, I don't know if we can stand a true dictatorship at GBO Mortar and Cannon.  I got to thinking about his comment and all kinds of scary possibilities presented themselves.  Just think about all those miles he drove that harvester lately, after a while you are driving on autopilot, your mind free to roam among far more interesting subjects.  Who knows, but it's truly concerning us when we imagine that he could possibly have a 50-Page Photo and Quote Citation Protocall dreamed up by now with a complete, fleshed out rules section and a tutorial that all members must go through, with an electronic graded quiz on the content and an electronic sign and return statement that pledges absolute compliance to the tenants of the Protocall.  I may have overdone it here, but remember these are just suppositions, not facts.  We don't really know what he meant by the Haig quote.  Please practice your one finger typing just in case, Tim. 

Thanks,

Tracy and Mike

I like it!!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 04:17:31 PM »
 Since I can't use certain expletives here, I'll just say 'holy mackeral.'

:o :o :o

Glad you're alive. Was there a head separation (case head, not yours) or did the firing pin just punch through? I see a bolt lug. Did the lugs rip chunks out of the receiver or what? Thank God the mag wasn't full.

Thanks much for the gun safety reminder. I'm big into milsurps and can't say as I've always checked headspace, etc. before firing a new-to-me rifle.

I sold my 1917 some years back. I think I gave the front sight off it to Kabar...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 04:25:17 PM »
I just finished the Western CMP Games where hundreds of old military rifles were fired 35 to 50 rounds without anything like this.  Was this a stuck firing pin slam fire before the bolt was rotated into battery?  Handloads or commercial ammo?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 04:45:01 PM »
 The 1917 is a cock on closing design, so I guess that's always a possibility.

These two cases were fired in a No. 4 I bought from a friend a few years ago. My friend had fired a few hundred rounds of some flavor of military ammo out of it without a problem, and I tested it out the day I got it from him with the same stuff. The case on the left is the military ammo. No sign of a problem. The case on the right is commercial Winchester, some I had brought to try in the rifle at the range that day...

Note the crack and stretching on the Winchester case; the crack goes about 1/2 way around. It barely held together....

Be careful guys.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 07:10:07 PM »
That kind of case failure is usually a headspace problem, although I suppose a short case could cause that kind of stretching.

However, at the Western CMP Games (program), most if not all of the rifles had been through the hands of the CMP and they won't send out a rifle with a headspace problem.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 03:34:51 AM »
Since I can't use certain expletives here, I'll just say 'holy mackeral.'

:o :o :o

Glad you're alive. Was there a head separation (case head, not yours) or did the firing pin just punch through? I see a bolt lug. Did the lugs rip chunks out of the receiver or what? Thank God the mag wasn't full.

Thanks much for the gun safety reminder. I'm big into milsurps and can't say as I've always checked headspace, etc. before firing a new-to-me rifle.

I sold my 1917 some years back. I think I gave the front sight off it to Kabar...

Actually you sent me a front sight and a stripped bolt .... still working on putting the gun together still need a stock and small parts,
I have since bought two 1917's

CW  I am wondering does the cocking piece or sear show any wear or dammage?  This sounds like the sear tripped as the action was almost locked up,
hence the bolt being blown open, thankfully the gasses broke the extractor and jammed the bolt on this or it could have been much worse. one of the
reasons I suspect this is if the action had locked up the bolt would not have opened.

Glad to see you still have all your digits and that things in time will heal will keep you in my prayers.

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 08:36:04 AM »
You guys do your research, some where there is an article on 1917 slamfires...old, very old done by either  Hatcher or Ackley or maybe even  Dunlap on slamfires  in 1917's or close bolt cockers or both.  I'm sitting in  MacDonald's in The  Dallas Oregon and won't be home to look until tomorrow night.

I am curious also whether the head came off or case split.  I also would like to hear what powder was used....fast burner maybe exacerbated slamfire.   

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 09:06:15 AM »
It could have been MUCH worse, SOMEONE was watching over my safety.

You got that right Cat, it definitely could have been a lot worse, and since you've decided to look at this unfortunate incident under an optimistic light, here are two other things that you should take under consideration: You still have eight lives left, and now you have the opportunity to develop an improved dexterity in your left hand. :D
Get better quick, Tim! ;)
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 02:59:48 PM »
Thanks again for your help/prayers/concerns.
Daily/hourly doing things I couldn't before - lots of  humor - how do I open a child-proof medicine bottle with one hand?  Sit on the edge of the tub, hold it with my toes and use good left hand to push/twist the lid!

A little more and pics soon.  Rem 165gr softpoint bullets measured at .308 diameter (two groove bbl).
IMR 4831 powder - Lyman 47th listed 55 to 61.0 gr pressures of 36.8 to 49.4kup.  I used 55 gr.

I moved bolt slightly forward, will tear apart the last remaining piece of the extractor when I have a bit more strength.  'Housing' on end of bolt was a bit distorted. 

Pix follow. 

Bolt was full to almost fully forward at Kaboom.  No turning of it was done.  Examined all other primers of loaded rounds - all seated fully. 
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 03:25:33 PM »
see pix
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2010, 03:29:14 PM »
Where is the case?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 03:34:58 PM »
Where is the case?

Still in the chamber.  Mostly.  I will find out how much of is left (I think most of it) and just the head vaprized.  (I could weigh the 100+ pieces of brass in my skin and subtract from original weight.)   ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired