Author Topic: Sightron SII 3-9  (Read 984 times)

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
Sightron SII 3-9
« on: October 19, 2010, 12:50:16 PM »
 A guy on another board had a Sightron SII 3-9 for a pretty good price. I'm not sure I need another scope but I guess I'll find out soon. I do have another muzzle-loader that could use a quality scope. Maybe I'll put it there & have 2 M-Ls ready for action. Any opinions on the SII? This is plain jane, not the 'big sky' version.
NRA, Veteran

Offline JimFromTN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Sightron SII 3-9
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 05:10:48 AM »
Its a little better than a Luepold VXII.  I think its a little brighter.  The warranty is just as good as the luepold as well.

Offline deerandduck

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 05:52:11 AM »
I recently purchased a SII 3-9x42, just as you mentioned.  Got it mounted on a TC venture 308 but yet to shoot it.  Scope seems pretty clear and all my searches said they are pretty good.  I'll do some comparing to nikon monarch and bushnell 4200 very soon; I heard that the SII was close to these two.  Besides, I got the $50 rebate for the scope as well.
best of luck,
Deerandduck

Offline 1sourdough

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 08:18:21 AM »
 Thanks for the input. The scope is still in transit. I think I may just put it on my back-up in-line muzzle-loader for starters. I was wanting to see how it would shoot with B209 & some 300 grn loads anyway.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 03:03:38 AM »
only thing i worry about with the off brands is if the company will still be around to honor there warantee if i have problems 10 years from now. I about know that leupold nikon and bushnell will be.
blue lives matter

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 04:59:21 AM »
I have an SII Sightron and it is a solid scope that will handle recoil well, but I would not compare the optics to most scopes with a higher price tag.  I would grade it in this way; reliability A+ , sight picture C+.  I bought this scope off my buddy because he said it was short on eye relief for his 45/70 that it came off of but I don't think it lacks for eye relief.  I have it mounted on a Rem model 600 6mmRem that I call my coyote rifle even though I have yet to shoot at a yote with it, though I hope to rectify that this winter!   BTW, my S II has the mil-dot reticle.  If I wanted a really stellar scope I think the S III would be a real go getter, and maybe the S II Big Sky model but I have yet to look through one of these.

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 06:08:03 AM »
I don't know if a previous poster was implying that Sightron was an off brand or not but Sightron is not an off brand scope and its very good quality for the price and can easily be compared to more expensive scopes where you are simply paying the extra money for the name like you are for the Leupold VXI and VXII.  The VXI is a $100 scope that you are paying an extra $100 for the Luepold name.  Unfortunately, Sightron is becoming more recognized for their quality and you are now paying more for the name.  Had you gotten in on some of the earlier deals, you could have gotten a great scope for very little money.  I paid $300 for my SIII and now I can't touch one for less than $600.  If you do some research, you will find that the warranty and customer service dept is as good as Leupold's.  I have an SII and an SIII.  Both are great scopes.  I think optically the SII Big Sky is about the same as the SIII, but the SIII comes with a 30mm tube which gives you more windage and elevation adjustments and maybe makes it a little more rugged.  I am hoping to own a Big Sky eventually.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 09:07:08 AM »
never said they were a second rate scope. What i said is in the market companys come and go and who knows if they will be here to service your scope 20 years down the line.
I don't know if a previous poster was implying that Sightron was an off brand or not but Sightron is not an off brand scope and its very good quality for the price and can easily be compared to more expensive scopes where you are simply paying the extra money for the name like you are for the Leupold VXI and VXII.  The VXI is a $100 scope that you are paying an extra $100 for the Luepold name.  Unfortunately, Sightron is becoming more recognized for their quality and you are now paying more for the name.  Had you gotten in on some of the earlier deals, you could have gotten a great scope for very little money.  I paid $300 for my SIII and now I can't touch one for less than $600.  If you do some research, you will find that the warranty and customer service dept is as good as Leupold's.  I have an SII and an SIII.  Both are great scopes.  I think optically the SII Big Sky is about the same as the SIII, but the SIII comes with a 30mm tube which gives you more windage and elevation adjustments and maybe makes it a little more rugged.  I am hoping to own a Big Sky eventually.
blue lives matter

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 11:48:41 AM »
You said they were an off brand, not second rate.  Redfield was almost 100 yrs old before it went under and owned the market in the 70's and 80's.  There is no way to know who will be around in 20 years.  Luepold could be sold off several times in 20 years, have their products, warranty, and service dept go in the hole because some pinhead thought it would be a good idea to save money and end up in bankrupcy.  It happens all the time.  There are no guarantees.

Offline deerandduck

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 03:39:55 AM »
Short range report on my SII...
Took it out, mounted on a TC venture 308.  Glass was very clear.  A friend and I checked it as darkness approached at 200yds and the SII compared OK to a nikon Monarch 4-16x42 (both set at 9X).  However, did notice the SII was very head position sensitive, the monarch not as much.  Also, did notice the center section of the crosshairs was thicker.  Probably not bad, but prefer thinner for target "group" shooting.  Also used a Zeiss 4-16x50 as a standard.  Very bright and nice overall.  Also, compared it to an older nikon monarch 3-9x40.  The SII seemed slightly brighter and more magnified at 9X.
Overall, the SII is pretty good for a "$200 scope".  Close to the monarchs, but I think better than several Bushnell 3200s that I have.
It seemed to hold zero and track pretty well for adjustments with different loads.
Deerandduck

Offline woodyed

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 05:37:56 AM »
I have 5 SII 6x42 scopes mounted on my rifles and really like them. They are as clear and sharp as my Nikon Monarchs and I like the lifetime warranty that they carry. I will probably buy more of them to put on my future rifle buys. Very good optics for the money in my opinion.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 02:34:35 AM »
off brand means not a popular brand not second rate. If the scope market gets so poor that companys like leupold, burris, nikon and bushnell go under the off brands will be long gone before it. Yup theres no guarantee with anything but there are better odds with some. Ive bought a couple trijicon scopes too and there a fine scope that i do conider is a borderline off brand. But if the goverment didnt have contracts with them id be skeptical about them being around for the long haul too.
You said they were an off brand, not second rate.  Redfield was almost 100 yrs old before it went under and owned the market in the 70's and 80's.  There is no way to know who will be around in 20 years.  Luepold could be sold off several times in 20 years, have their products, warranty, and service dept go in the hole because some pinhead thought it would be a good idea to save money and end up in bankrupcy.  It happens all the time.  There are no guarantees.
blue lives matter

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 03:28:15 AM »
I guess I just live dangerously.  Heck, I bought a Vortex Viper not that long ago and I plan on buying another.  Sightron has been around for 17 years.  Google Sightron scopes and look at who sells them and then check out the reviews.  Although I do own Nikon and Bushnell scopes, the reputation of their service dept's makes me question whether or not I will ever buy another unless I get a really good deal and I don't mind throwing them away if they break.  Doesn't really matter if they will be around another 100 years or not with the reputation that their service dept's have.  Leupold has not put out a scope worth the price they are charging until the vx3 line.  You could always get a better scope for a lower price.  Compare a $100 Bushnell Legend to a $200 Luepold VXI and see which one has the clearer glass.

Offline 1sourdough

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 12:18:07 AM »
  Well, I got the scope. It's in as new condition & all seems fine. I've usually stuck with the more common names but wanted to try it out. The price was $150 shipped, no rebate since it was a private seller.
NRA, Veteran