Author Topic: hybrid duck?  (Read 537 times)

Offline Flyrodder

• Trade Count: (0)
hybrid duck?
« on: October 20, 2010, 11:36:52 AM »
I was out duck hunting today, and a single hen came into my spread.  it was a very slow day, so I decided to take her.  I had her ID'd as a pinnie hen, but when I waded out and picked her up i was in for a surprise, i didn't have a clue what she was.  She has a pintail neck and tail, a white teal hen like breast, and a yellow bill like a mallard.  Anyone seen one of these before?  She doesn't have any colored feathers on her wings like all of those species do, so I am a bit confused on that one.

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: hybrid duck?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 11:42:46 AM »
Sometimes the ones that should fly south down thru. Russia etc get messed up and come our way. Guess their GPS needs an update  ;D
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Flyrodder

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 11:57:58 AM »
that would make sense, i'll search around for a species that matches it.  I am in WA so that's quite possible.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 12:02:28 PM »
One of the hunters in a group I hunted with in Manatoba got one the guide saiud should have gone the other way. Also sometimes they cross breed , saw what was said to be that in a goose once but later found out it was an almost white Canada goose ( game warden IDed it as the Canada goose )
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Flyrodder

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 07:11:45 PM »
Update, it's a Gadwall, i feel like an idiot now, but in my defense the picture in the pamphlet sucks!  it's my first year out too, all i am familiar with as far as IDing birds goes is what I can't shoot.