Author Topic: Getting it done  (Read 501 times)

Offline scotsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Getting it done
« on: October 20, 2010, 02:40:44 PM »
Like most everyone here I like guns. I like rifles especially,I have two revolvers and two pistols but rifles are my thing.We all like different calibers,different actions,different brands,but that is what makes the world go round. As I get older it seems I feel a need to simplify,maybe it's just nostalgia,but I have been thinking about what I need as opposed to what I want. Where I live about all I really need is a .22 and a 30-30.I can and have done everything that can be done with those two. Here a good long shot on deer is 200 yards and usually much less the 30-30 has plenty of power and reach for that. There are a few black bear but no season and think in a pinch the 30-30 would work for that too. The .22 for varmints and what ever. What two rifles can you -get it done- where you live.

Offline JRW209

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Getting it done
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 07:01:40 AM »
.22 and 30-06

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 02:53:10 AM »
if i could only have two guns id rather just be put in the wooden box now!
blue lives matter

Offline dukkillr

• Trade Count: (0)
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 10:13:15 AM »
Getting it done with 2 rifles? 
Here in Kansas you're wanting something with better down range performance than a 30-30.  My pick is a .270.  Like everyone else, if you want to include small game you have to pick a .22 or similar rimfire.  If it doesn't have to be a rifle it would be a quality pump 12 ga.  My pick would be a BPS with a 26" barrel, modified choke if I was forced to one tube.  That could cover both small game and birds.

If a little class is what you want, how about a .270 built on a mauser 98 and a 2 3/4" Model 12 in good condition with a 28" modified barrel and vent rib?  Two of my favorite and most used guns.