Author Topic: Model 70 .300wsm safety  (Read 763 times)

Offline cheapskate

• Trade Count: (0)
Model 70 .300wsm safety
« on: October 20, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »
I have a model 70 super shadow in .300wsm, it shoots good but the safety is extremely hard to get from the rear safety position to the mid safety position.  It goes into the fire position great.  Is this normal or should i be concerned?  Not really caused any problems but i don't want to be looking at a monster elk and have the safety screw up. thanks for any help.
Life's too short, buy more guns and hope you can find ammo to shoot them!

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: Model 70 .300wsm safety
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 08:36:42 AM »
 Yes, there is some history in this area. I'm talking guns that left the factory in the last years before the new ownership of Winchester. I have a 'Classic Compact' in 243 that had the same problem. The worst was going from fire back to safe I thought. It's the household  'youth' rifle & was rather difficult to move. I have a 70's vintage and a 10 or so Y/O model 70 to compare it to. It was so hard I was worried about breaking the safety lever. I had my ways but my Son had an issue with it.

I ended up sending my barreled action to Lee in N WI. He goes by 'Redneck' on the 24hourcampfire forums. He somewhat specializes in model 70 and was familiar with the issue. It was rather inexpensive,quick, & he checked out the trigger also. The safety did come back noticeably better, but still not as smooth as my 70's vintage 308.
NRA, Veteran

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Model 70 .300wsm safety
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:30:29 AM »
I bought a M70 in 300WSM from someone about four years ago.  The previous owner had installed a titanium Tubb firing pin to speed up lock time.  The safety was horribly rough and I assumed the first owner had done something to mess it up.  I worked on the trigger pull but could not trust it.  Mine would fire when the safety was moved (like the 700's are said to do).  I could not adjust the trigger below 5lbs without a failure.  I had a Jewell trigger installed and it works great now - only I never use it anymore.