Author Topic: How do you shoot squirrels?  (Read 4035 times)

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
How do you shoot squirrels?
« on: October 22, 2010, 06:47:35 AM »
I switched to a rifle for squirrels several years ago due to the a shotgun tearing them up too bad.  The problem with a rifle is that I have to wait for the perfect shot and in the thick stuff you never get one.  A .410 doesn't have enough effective range in my opinion.  A 12 ga seems to be too much.  I have never tried a 20 gauge though.  I have heard some old timers saying to aim wide to hit the squirrel with the edge of your pattern.  I have a 12 ga pardner with a full choke barrel I'm thinking about using next weekend.

Offline ruppster

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: How do you shoot squirrels?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 06:50:52 AM »
Mod choke is as tight as I go with a 12. IC is not bad, just shortens up the range. A full 12ga can do some damage.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 07:06:22 AM »
I use 7 1/2 shot in my 12 and 20ga. Pardners. The light shot doesn't tear 'em up at all but kills 'em dead.

Spanky

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 09:39:29 AM »
Trap loads or 22shorts. .410 skeet loads work good.No matter the gage the pellets have the same fps&fpe only the amount of pellets is different

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 09:46:41 AM »
I use #8 shot in 12 gauge with a modified or IC choke tube and a slingshot with marbles.  Doesn't do a lot of damage that way.  If I am still hunting in tall oak trees, I use a .22LR in a 10-22 with a scope for longer shots.  Sling shot is to shoot the squirrel nests to make the squirrel run out, then shoot him with the 12 ga.  This is usually done with someone, so you can rotate shooting the nests with the sling. 

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 02:51:19 PM »
I always used a 20ga with no. 6 shot through a mod choke when I was a kid becuase that was all I had and after trying everything else that is what I've come back to. It just works.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline buffermop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 03:25:14 PM »
Good Lord. i've taken them out off my birdfeeder with my pellet rifle. No big deal at all.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 04:06:04 PM »
I've killed quite a few with 3" #4's from a .410.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
Lots of advice.  I just remember the last one I shot with a 12 gauge was 10 years ago.  I swear I had 500 pellets in him.  So I put the shotgun away and went back to the .22.  Now I'm using the 17.  I usually have to wait for the perfect shot though.

Offline sert01

• NRA Life Member Past Rescue 40 SRRT member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 05:32:10 PM »
Hey Dixie Dude!     Man, I hope you're not squirrel hunting in Pa. and shooting the nests!!! Mr. Bunny Cop (Pa. game warden) would just LOVE to catch you doing that in THEIR woods!!! Even with just a marble , he'd end up with a severe case of writers cramp by the time he was done with you!! He'd probably confiscate your slingshot and your marbles!!  Sert01.

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 02:18:06 AM »
This thread is making a good case for my Savage 24  ;)

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 02:41:13 AM »
Airsporter,

That does sound like a good squirrel gun.  I have always thought about carrying 2 guns, but it is too much hassle to take 2 guns.

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 02:46:31 AM »
Didn't know that about PA.  Hitting the bottom of the nest with the sling shot if there is a squirrel in it, will make them run out.  I suppose a direct hit would kill one, just never tried to hit one with a sling. 

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 04:13:13 AM »
Hey Dixie Dude!     Man, I hope you're not squirrel hunting in Pa. and shooting the nests!!! Mr. Bunny Cop (Pa. game warden) would just LOVE to catch you doing that in THEIR woods!!! Even with just a marble , he'd end up with a severe case of writers cramp by the time he was done with you!! He'd probably confiscate your slingshot and your marbles!!  Sert01.

Since he's from Alabama I doubt he is. There are a lot of things you CAN'T DO in Pa, that you CAN DO in other states.

By the way, I use either a 22lr, or a very light 38 special load in which ever rifle I choose.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 04:18:46 AM »
I use #4 shot so they go all the way through.  With the 12 I try not to shoot them at close range.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 08:10:11 AM »
around tha house i use my savage 84c with cb-longs..
in tha swamp i use my 10-22 rugers or marlin 989m2 with mini-mags
if there way out there in tha tree line... i use tha handi 17hm2 with eley's
all of the above goes in tha pot !!!

ifin i'm jus thin'n the hurd  i use tha 20 Ltd with #6 and bait the kiyots wif'um ;D
then tha fun begins  8)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline JRW209

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 08:18:04 AM »
Ruger 10/22 if im in the woods. .20 caliber Benjamin/Sheridan air gun if im just around my place.

Offline HarryRichardson

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 03:28:12 AM »
I've been using my 20 gauge Pard ever since I went presbyopic, but I'm thinking about buying a NEF .17 and putting a good scope on it for when the leaves are off the trees.

I'll wait and keep using the shotgun 'til I have a good mess in the freezer, first.  ;)
May He say, "Well done..."

Offline Dee

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 03:42:31 AM »
In comparison to the cost of .17 ammo to bulk 22lr, I guess I'll never understand it. But then again, that's why the make Fords and Chevys.

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 03:57:36 AM »
ive always used a 22lr except a few times when i was about 14 yrs old . i shot two  with my 20ga and brought them home  gramdma kick me in the ass for tearin the them up so bad told me if i could hit them with a 22lr in the head  then stay home. or i had to cook them hahahahah. did get a 24savage in 410 over 22lr i liked and then dumbassly sold it thinking i didnt use it enough , my next set up for them will be a henry lever action scoped with a 4x scope

Offline HarryRichardson

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 04:18:32 AM »
In comparison to the cost of .17 ammo to bulk 22lr, I guess I'll never understand it. But then again, that's why the make Fords and Chevys.

That's an excellent point. I may rethink the .17!

Offline Dee

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 04:31:43 AM »
Harry I wasn't really criticizing your choice, but at 61 years old I am getting more cheap by the day. Squirrel huntin has all but died around my part of Texas, but I have been huntin'em since I was about 5 years old. An old Marlin 60 I've had for more years than I can remember, and a Leupold Vari-X III I took off the last bolt action rifle I owned, (sold'em all) makes for a great squirrel rig. But then again I have a little Ruger 10-22 with an aperture rear and a fire sight front that works pretty good too. And I still try to always make head shots, but can't always.

Offline HarryRichardson

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 04:54:22 AM »
Harry I wasn't really criticizing your choice, but at 61 years old I am getting more cheap by the day. Squirrel huntin has all but died around my part of Texas, but I have been huntin'em since I was about 5 years old. An old Marlin 60 I've had for more years than I can remember, and a Leupold Vari-X III I took off the last bolt action rifle I owned, (sold'em all) makes for a great squirrel rig. But then again I have a little Ruger 10-22 with an aperture rear and a fire sight front that works pretty good too. And I still try to always make head shots, but can't always.

Oh, I didn't take any offense at your remark at all; I actually agree with the logic of it wholeheartedly, and I thank you for that! I'll save money, which is my third favorite thing to do.

I have to say this however: though you're 3 years older than me, I started hunting when I was 6 months old, so I have more experience.  ;)

Offline Dee

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 05:27:20 AM »
6 months old huh. It would be interesting to know what you were huntin. At 5 I had my own rifle. What were you usin? :D

Offline HarryRichardson

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 05:32:32 AM »
6 months old huh. It would be interesting to know what you were huntin. At 5 I had my own rifle. What were you usin? :D
Well, I...I...

:P

Offline Dee

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 09:48:07 AM »
LOL! ;D

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 10:07:10 AM »
my 28ga with mod choke does the trick
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Brett

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 11:51:39 AM »
I have a 12 ga pardner with a full choke barrel I'm thinking about using next weekend.

Yow!  :o  You hit em' with that and their won't be enough left to identify.  A 20ga Modified with7 1/2 to 6 is my go to choice when I'm serious about putting meat in the pot.   When I'm hunting tree rats for fun I like my .22 Handi SS or my Ruger Single Six if I really want a challenge.   Then you got to go full cammo and use a Hunter Specialties squirrel call to bring them in close.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline HarryRichardson

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 01:16:23 PM »
I have a 12 ga pardner with a full choke barrel I'm thinking about using next weekend.

Yow!  :o  You hit em' with that and their won't be enough left to identify.  A 20ga Modified with7 1/2 to 6 is my go to choice when I'm serious about putting meat in the pot.   When I'm hunting tree rats for fun I like my .22 Handi SS or my Ruger Single Six if I really want a challenge.   Then you got to go full cammo and use a Hunter Specialties squirrel call to bring them in close.

Do those work well? I bought another brand 4 years ago, and I practiced and practiced, but I couldn't get it to "wheeze", and I probably scared off every squirrel in the hunting area!

Offline Dee

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 02:12:31 PM »
I use a squirrel call, and a dog alternately. It's less work with the call and bad knees, so most of the time it's the call, and yes Harry they work. I don't know which one I've got, when my knees feel better I'll go to the truck and look.