Author Topic: New manufacturer Smartreloader presses  (Read 775 times)

Offline Kmrere42

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
New manufacturer Smartreloader presses
« on: October 22, 2010, 03:40:33 PM »
Hi,

Just came across a new make of single stage reloading presses when on the cheaper than dirt website.

Says that the are made of cast steel.  Price is cheap enough  $20. for a C-frame and $32. for an O-frame.

Anyone have one and can give a report ??

Paul

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
Re: New manufacturer Smartreloader presses
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 04:18:03 PM »
Looks like a Lee with a different coat of paint.  Should be OK, especially for the $$.  I'm sure you can find better, but the price is right!

Offline Kmrere42

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 06:21:57 PM »
Hi,

Actually,  most of the Lee presses are cast aluminum.  These are cast steel.  I think I will buy the small press and try it out.  A C-type press works much better for seating as it is easier to get fingers in while holding the bullet on the case.

Paul

Offline jlchucker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 04:25:02 AM »
Hi,

Actually,  most of the Lee presses are cast aluminum.  These are cast steel.  I think I will buy the small press and try it out.  A C-type press works much better for seating as it is easier to get fingers in while holding the bullet on the case.

Paul

All of the Lee presses except for the best ones.  I've got one of those small, c-type Lee presses that I use for secondary, once-in-a-while work.  I never did the whole loading process on it, but one probably could.  Let us know, Paul, what the press you buy works like.  For the price, if it's cast steel, it may well be worth having.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 12:24:12 PM »
"..got one of those small, c-type Lee presses that I use for secondary, once-in-a-while work.  I never did the whole loading process on it, but one probably could. "

That's Lee's very small "Reloader" press.  You can certainly load anything up to .30-06 on it, probably larger stuff too.

I have a couple I got for special tasks (de and recapping).  When I got my .001" dial indicator gage I checked lots of things in my shop including the press spring in my RC II when FL sizing .30-06, got almost .003". That's not a lot but it's more than I had expected.  Then checked the Reloaders, both, with the same dies and box of fired cases but didn't get enough spring to measure!  The small alum alloy presses certainly aren't as strong as my big iron green press but, within their strength, they ARE more rigid and rigidity is good when making quality ammo.

Lee's Classic Cast and Classic Turret are as strong as any other iron presses.  Precisely machined too.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 11:33:17 AM »

Lee's Classic Cast and Classic Turret are as strong as any other iron presses.  Precisely machined too.

+1 on that.  I use the Classic Cast as my main press.  IMO It's light-years ahead of the Lyman Crusher II that it replaced on my loading bench.

Offline Kmrere42

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 01:45:08 AM »
Hi,

It finally came.  I purchased it through Mid-South shooters supply for about $16.

Seems sturdy enough.  The ram is tight and slides stiffly but evenly through its full stroke.  One thing that I noticed is that the stops that are cast into the handle do not allow the press to come close to full cam-over, thus a little bit of leverage is lost but what it gains is a much shorter stroke.  I will be making a new block to bolt it in and I will let you know how it does in sizing cases.

Paul