Author Topic: Whats up with the rusty stuff???  (Read 628 times)

Offline oprod

• Trade Count: (0)
Whats up with the rusty stuff???
« on: October 23, 2010, 06:03:20 PM »
I opened up my metal cabnet i keep in the basement and discovered sometime over the last few months something happened in there. There is a hyge amount of brown looking dust piled up on top of the cans and the shelves. Where there is exposed metal the rust is very deep. rust built up in the scratches of the cabnet coating. Any ideas?  ???

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
Re: Whats up with the rusty stuff???
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 12:45:08 AM »
To much humidity,you should think about getting a dehumidifier. To much humidity will also effect the wood. If you google household humidity it will give you a list of problems with to much or not enough humidity.

Offline oprod

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 02:47:00 AM »
Not humidity related. the cabnet holds all my gun powder. anyways, the basement is open to the above, no door. water table several hundred feet down. humidity here is like 10-15% so not a humidity problem. The rusty stuff is like 1/4 inch thick. it seems to be a chemical reaction but may be something that came out of on of the cannisters mabey under pressure and fogged the compartment? that is what it looks like! There is a plastic container of h335 that looks /feels fat.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 02:51:33 AM »
 So your calling it rust, but its not???  I have stored and have cans of powder that have been stored for 40 years and no problems. I'm at a loss as to what it could be, what else is stored in proximity?

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline JRiddle

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 03:06:04 AM »
I had a somewhat similar puzzling experience like that a few years ago in my basement too.  Metal would rust very quickly in one particular area that was primarily used for storage of paint/stain/caulking stuff, and some other misc. stuff, and I knew it wasn't a humidity problem.  I finally figured out that it was coming from a half full jug of muriatic acid.  The jug was completely intact and the screw cap was on tight, but aparently the fumes somehow were getting out and causing the reaction.  Look around to see if there is any chemicals or strong cleaners in the area that may be the source of your problem.  Good luck.
JR
"Give me Liberty...or I'll get up, and get it myself."

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 06:51:24 PM »
Sounds more like a slime mold or fungus to me. 
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 12:42:08 PM »
"..jug of muriatic acid.  The jug was completely intact and the screw cap was on tight, but aparently the fumes somehow were getting out and causing the reaction."

That's what popped into my mind as well.  Bad stuff, and lots of people who have swimming pools have some around for ph control.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline billyed

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 04:02:25 PM »
I have seen this happen too. The powder will emit acid fumes that combine with humidity in the air to rust anything metal. A lack of air circulation in the basement or in the cabinent could be the cause.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 04:48:13 PM »
Pool chlorine tablets and shock treatments cause really bad rust on anything even 10 feet the containers.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~