Author Topic: Mini-14's in military use?  (Read 2325 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Mini-14's in military use?
« on: October 24, 2010, 07:25:02 AM »
I had read that no army uses Ruger Mini-14's.  The only case I know of was in the late 70's, the Rhodesian mercenaries really liked to use them when fighting in central Africa against the liberal terrorists there.  The light weight and compactness with the .223 was appreciated according to an article in either Guns and Ammo or Shooting times.

I know several police departments have used them, but is there any organized standing army that have issued the Mini?  Seems to me with the improved model, of which I have one, this would be a good, reliable and cheaper alternative to the M-16.     

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Mini-14's in military use?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 07:33:57 AM »
Its issue to the UK Bermuda Military Regiment.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline HarryRichardson

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 07:42:46 AM »
Its issue to the UK Bermuda Military Regiment.

Larry

Sorry-it took me so long to post it, you beat me to it! :)
May He say, "Well done..."

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 01:04:59 PM »
I was curious myself, so I looked on Wikipedia..lol

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 02:29:41 PM »
I actually like the look and feel of the Mini 14 better than the AR but, own the AR because of accuracy, and availability of things like QUALITY AFFORDABLE MAGAZINES. I have glass bedded the actions, free floated the barrels, and cleaned up the triggers and even the old ones shoot pretty good, but good cheap magazines have been hard to come by down here in the past.
The trigger by the way, cleans up really nice, to near match grade.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 03:44:08 AM »
Many years ago my job (Mass State Police) replaced the M1 Garands in our Barracks gun lockers with Mini 14's (a sad day in my mind). The Mini 14's were never equal to the Garands but they carried easily in a cruiser. They lacked the accuracy and power of our old and beloved Garands but did carry more rounds in the magazines. I was lucky to be later assigned to a unit that each assigned Trooper was issued one of our beloved Garands and 200 rounds of ammo. It was kept in the truck of the cruiser for several years until that too was called in to be used as trade material by the state for new weapons. Before I had the Garand I had drawn a Mini 14 from the Gunlocker several times for different assignments and incidents and although I knew they lacked the accuracy I had become accustomed to, they were almost acceptable. however no one I know of really missed them when they too were replaced.....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley