Author Topic: New mortar build  (Read 922 times)

Offline Uncle Dave

• Trade Count: (0)
New mortar build
« on: October 24, 2010, 12:24:40 PM »
I have purchased a golf ball mortar from Brooks-USA.  Should be shipped by election day.  I am keeping busy in the mean time building the skid that it will sit on.  I have one question that you folks may be able to help me with.  I am considering the addition of a length of 1/4" x 1" iron on the bottom of each of the skids to limit the wear and tear to the oak.  Overkill or helpful?

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: New mortar build
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 12:30:15 PM »
Over kill and not needed and may make you mortar slide more than you want.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 09:33:55 PM »
Depends on what surface you will fire from.  But a normal surface is wood and should not excessively wear the bottom of the mount.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Uncle Dave

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 01:24:53 PM »
Thanks guys.  I was thinking that it might be overkill.  Nice to get some feedback for those who have experience in this realm.

I have acquired all of the hardware that I need for the build (crap brass is pricey).  I will more than likely begin cutting the oak tomorrow, as I'd like to have the skid assembled when the mortar arrives from Michigan.  Hope to have everything ready to test fire on the weekend of November 6&7.

Will post some photos/video of the test.

Offline Uncle Dave

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 11:29:54 AM »
Have the base about finished. Still have to do a bit of work, but I'm going to have to wait until delivery of the mortar before I can go much further.

Offline Uncle Dave

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 12:08:42 PM »
Just got word today that the USPS has possession of my golf ball mortar.  Should be here by Thursday or Friday.

Here are some pics of the base.  Not quite done with it yet, but Brooks-USA forwarded all of the measurements that I need to finish the woodwork.  I have decided that I am not going to stain the wood, but rather leave it natural while applying a finish of hand-rubbed linseed oil.  Going to make some noise this weekend!!!