Author Topic: from another Forum  (Read 2289 times)

Offline icfmike

• Trade Count: (1)
from another Forum
« on: October 24, 2010, 06:31:25 PM »
Oct. issue of Field & Stream and came to the F&S Campfire section on page 9.
The person writing the editorial/making the complaint is commenting on a handgun article that was written earlier.

I just read the response of Mr. Forrest Mize of Ventura, CA to an article in F&S that you allowed to be printed:
" I just read the article about handgun hunting(The Huns is in Hand"Field Test) and I am disgusted that you put it in your magazine. People who hunt with pistols are showoffs, braggarts, poseurs, and hacks. They are not hunters. As hunters, we owe it to the animals to give them a clean kill and use the tools best suited for accurate shot placement. A pistol is not nearly as accurate as a rifle and, therefore, should never be used to hunt. This kind of disrespect for animals and foolishness is what gives the public the idea that hunters are a bunch of rednecks and cowboys. Save the pistols for the target range where they belong."

Is rather irritating.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: from another Forum
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 07:09:06 PM »
The fool is either an anti hunter or just has no clue what a good handgunner can do with a handgun. I've killed a passel of deer with various handguns and on average they fell closer to the place they were standing than the rifle killed deer and a lot closer than the many bow kills I've made.

Some times (as in the case of this guy) it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth (or in his case his keyboard) and prove it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 01:36:14 AM »
Bill:  I agree with you that Mr. Forrest Mize of Ventura, Ca., is a fool and I also agree with icfmike that his response to the F&S article is irritating but, what the hay, the idjit lives in kalifornika and openly expresses his arrogant supidity.  I wonder if he is a engineer who works for the general electric or governmental motors.  Hey, I'll even betcha he's a obamanista.

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 06:17:33 AM »
The feedback has not hit F&S yet. Perhaps Mr Forrest will be standing in line behind that old hunting editor.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 09:27:10 AM »
One more opinion from he who doesn't have a clue.....as long as you know your limitations....handguns are just as good as anything else......
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline temmi

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 09:50:50 AM »
The fool is either an anti hunter or just has no clue what a good handgunner can do with a handgun. I've killed a passel of deer with various handguns and on average they fell closer to the place they were standing than the rifle killed deer and a lot closer than the many bow kills I've made.

Some times (as in the case of this guy) it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth (or in his case his keyboard) and prove it.

Agreed... so why do they give a platform to someone to spout this type of thing...

Offline RangerRiz

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 04:03:26 AM »
They do it because they are in the business of making money, and reader interest makes them money. This will definitely interest a lot of their readers.  I thank all of the assessments above are right on. This guy just wanted to start crap. Any real hunter of any sort does not complain about another type of hunting. If they are they have other agenda. People who care about hunting and shooting sports don’t complain about how others do it along as it is not illegal or truly immoral. I think that Graybeard was the most perceptive in noting that he was most likely an anti-hunter. How do you improve your position in an argument better than making it seem like you are actually part of the group being hurt.

JR.
God did not create all men equal, Colt did!
ROLL TIDE!
Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 03:43:20 PM »
"use the tools best suited for accurate shot placement."

In many places in NY you are limited to a shotgun w/ slug, handgun, or black powder. If I were allowed the best tool it would be my .308. I can shoot my Contender better than my old smoothbore 12ga so that is the tool best suited.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 01:29:18 AM »
Your Contender in 308 is considered a handgun in nys.  What locations are you aware of that will not allow you to hunt with a Contender where other handguns are authorized???

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 02:59:05 AM »
I just stopped getting F&S . The waste of space like this and all the ads for better sex, more sex, ladies underware , pills for sex etc . And the last issue a full page ad for people in their 40's to 50's to learn about you guessed it sex .
Its getting hard to find good reading anymore !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 06:33:17 AM »
ads for better sex, more sex, ladies underware , pills for sex etc . And the last issue a full page ad for people in their 40's to 50's to learn about you guessed it sex .

What magazine did you say that was?   :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 08:00:27 AM »
"Your Contender in 308 is considered a handgun in nys.  What locations are you aware of that will not allow you to hunt with a Contender where other handguns are authorized???"

Just to clarify - My 308 is a rifle but there are only a few counties in the southern zone where it's allowed. The Contender is a 357 Herrett and can be used anywhere.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline xphunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 07:58:32 PM »
I have responded to Mr. Mize in a couple of emails, and I wrote F&S a response and a challenge.
I even left a couple of phone calls-Haven't heard a thing.
Ernie
"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water!"

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 01:32:28 AM »
mbopp:  At one time you could use rifle in Delaware County near Oneonta, Davenport area, but I don't know if it is still the same down there.

xp - I don't know that I would even waste my time with the individual and the magazine will probably tell you it is their equal opportunity approach to allow even buttsniffs to have their say.  I would consider Mize a troll and the magazine complacent.  Save your energy.  jmtcw.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 02:21:07 AM »
ads for better sex, more sex, ladies underware , pills for sex etc . And the last issue a full page ad for people in their 40's to 50's to learn about you guessed it sex .

What magazine did you say that was?   :-\

:o

Offline xphunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 10:58:30 AM »
xp - I don't know that I would even waste my time with the individual and the magazine will probably tell you it is their equal opportunity approach to allow even buttsniffs to have their say.  I would consider Mize a troll and the magazine complacent.  Save your energy.  jmtcw.
Mikey,
It may not change things, but it was a good catharsis for me.  Also, if they do not respond well, then many sportsmen will know where F&S truly stands.
Here is what I wrote them.

Dear Field and Stream Editors,
I just read the response of Mr. Forrest Mize of Ventura, CA to an article in F&S that you allowed to be printed:
" I just read the article about handgun hunting(The Huns is in Hand"Field Test) and I am disgusted that you put it in your magazine. People who hunt with pistols are showoffs, braggarts, poseurs, and hacks. They are not hunters. As hunters, we owe it to the animals to give them a clean kill and use the tools best suited for accurate shot placement. A pistol is not nearly as accurate as a rifle and, therefore, should never be used to hunt. This kind of disrespect for animals and foolishness is what gives the public the idea that hunters are a bunch of rednecks and cowboys. Save the pistols for the target range where they belong."

This is my first time to write a magazine in response to what has been printed.
The man has the right to disagree with the article, even though he is misinformed or just enjoys being cantankerous.
My biggest problem is with F&S printing it, since it was full of name calling. 
Surely, you could have found someone who disagreed with the author without the name calling.

Mr. Mize made some all encompassing statements about any kind of handgun that is used for hunting and the people who hunt with them. 
He was speaking about me since I do the majority of my hunting, varminting, and competing with handguns.
I do use revolvers some for hunting, but I primarily use single-shot specialty pistols.

Seeing that Mr. Mize wrote with such intensity I am sure he would not mind backing up his claim (which I assume would be with one of his big game hunting rifles) in a steel shoot-off contest witnessed of course by a Field and Stream editor using his most accurate big game hunting rifle. 
As far as I am concerned, the F&S editor who chose to print this should grab his hunting rifle and shoot too.

How about square 10" to 12" steel plates painted white at 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards?
Or you can set the steel at unknown distances from 200-600 yards so the distances will not be even.
Paint a 3" red dot in the center, just for giggles.
Shooting cannot be done from the bench or off of a tri-pod front rest, but the hunter’s favorite field position.
One or possibly two shots on each piece of steel. 
One point for a hit and two points if you hit the red dot.
Each shooter shoots the course of fire and then tally the score.
I have the steel and the location here.
Or maybe since F&S was willing to print Mr. Mize's catharsis they will pay for us to come to them or for us to come to Mr. Mize.
I know I am far from perfect, and I am not Quigley with a handgun but I am sure not what Mr. Mize described.
I am more than willing to put my shooting skill with a handgun in a public forum, which will be witnessed and reported by F&S.
How about you?

Based on Mr. Mize's words, all handgun hunters are "showoffs, braggarts, poseurs," but I do not know of any other way to show and or prove to Mr. Mize that there are handgun hunters who are capable of making clean shots on game since, "we owe it to the animals to give them a clean kill and use the tools best suited for accurate shot placement" other than for him to witness it, given his prejudices.
If this challenge makes me a show-off, so be it, but his words need to be challenged.

You were willing to print Mr. Mize's thoughts, I wonder if you will print and respond to mine?

Sincerely,

Ernie Bishop
Gillette, Wyoming

Contact info for the editors:  Home phone

PS  If you do not post this, then at least consider not printing such name calling in the future.
Ernie

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 08:20:02 AM »
XPhunter , good work !

Offline xphunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 08:36:14 AM »
Thanks.
Every time I think about this it irks me, even now.
Still haven't heard anything from them.
I already know Mr. Mize has no desire to shoot with me (from a couple of emails), so that is not going to happen.
From other responses on other forums, I know F&S has received a number emails, expressing their displeasure.
I hope they continue to receive them.
Ernie

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 09:00:26 AM »
I did not renew . Its all about profit , sex sell and forget the hunter shooter fisherman .

Offline xphunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 09:02:58 AM »
FWIW-I like your signature ;D
Ernie

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 09:18:55 AM »
A guy who got me started in IMHSA would always say that .

Offline xphunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 09:57:10 AM »
If you like shooting distance with specialty handguns there is a cool competition coming this June that you will find exciting and challenging.
http://www.moaguns.com/coldturkey.html

A guy who got me started in IMHSA would always say that .
Ernie

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 01:36:37 PM »
I agree that the comment was for contraversy, meaning more readership, meaning money. Same reason why we have a bazzzzzillion calibers all advertising that you can't cleanly kill an animal if you don't use THEIR caliber.  Ammo companies should study anatomy and physiology before advertising..... 

Offline t-reg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 02:00:47 PM »
This kind of disrespect for animals and foolishness is what gives the public the idea that hunters are a bunch of rednecks and cowboys.

Yes, I am a redneck and a cowboy, and my sixguns have probably put more deer in the freezer than ol' Forrest has ever seen outside the zoo.

The waste of space like this and all the ads for better sex, more sex, ladies underware , pills for sex etc . And the last issue a full page ad for people in their 40's to 50's to learn about you guessed it sex .
Its getting hard to find good reading anymore !

Yes, I am a redneck and a cowboy and enthusiasticly enjoy the above activities on a regular basis as much as anyone.   Don't need no tutorial about it in my huntin' and fishin' mags.  Fur-Fish and Game is a mans outdoor magazine for those of us that got the indoor stuff figured out - no ads like that in there.  No alchohol or tobacco ads either - all huntin', trappin', fishin' and good outdoor stuff.