Author Topic: Wood staining help PLEASE  (Read 381 times)

Offline Jeffery8mm

• Trade Count: (59)
  • A Real Regular
Wood staining help PLEASE
« on: October 25, 2010, 04:53:43 AM »
I have a Boyds laminate "camo" green stock set with the regular size green camo forearm.
I got a Manlicher style forearm from GSI.  It is in the "natural" state.  Needs alot of sanding and smoothing.
My question is, can I stain it with something to color it like the camo laminate thumbhole??  Has anyone tried this with success??
Thanks for any and all tips and advice!!!!
Jeff
With proper care and maintenance the human body will last a lifetime! :)

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Wood staining help PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 07:52:48 AM »
I gotta be honest and say no, I haven't tried to make walnut look like laminate.  I've stained laminate really dark to make it not so obvious that it's laminated.
Seems like it'd be a LOT easier to just find a walnut butt to go with that forearm...
perhaps Boyd's would gen-up a walnut thumbhole like your laminated one to go with the long forend.

Or,.....paint them a matching color.
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:21:45 AM »
Boyd's likely won't but GSI already does, but it may be easier to get a laminate mannlicher forend from GSI tho, I'd give Ed a call and see, he's made em before. http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/OddsnEnds-pictures/handirifle-monte-schnable.html

Tim

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/NEF-stocks/Handi-rifle-stocks.htm

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 12:15:29 PM »
Stain wont 'follow' a taped off line, it will creep up under and follow the wood grain.
Im afraid it would be an exercise fraught with big dissappointment.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974