Author Topic: Winter projects  (Read 4412 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Winter projects
« on: October 25, 2010, 06:06:37 AM »
Starting to cool off here and its time to think about this winters project.  What are you going to build?

I have been looking at building a Seepot Mortar or a carronade.  I also have been considering building a Coehorn golf ball mortar for shooting steel balls.

I have been trying to buy a barrel a year from one of our sponsors.  This was supposed to be the  HMR year,  but Seacoast snuck in with the Krupp gun.  This is probably my only chance to ever own a Seacoast gun, sorry Ed.   Have no fear however.  I am working a scheme---er aha a deal that might let me still get an 1841  8 inch siege howitzer from you this year.

So what are you guys planning?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Winter projects
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
I have a dream --

May be a rifled .45 cal.  cannon.
May be reboring the .50 cal and rebuilding it's mount.
May be a Daniel King (simplified).

Hmmmmm.     Tune in tomorrow for other wandering thoughts.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 11:14:10 AM »
     Thanks for that vote of confidence, DD.  And we all know that Ed makes some fine cannons.  However, you may consider revising your order to be made by Ed to an 8-Inch Siege & Garrison Howitzer, Pattern 1840.  If he makes you a 1941 8 inch siege howitzer which does exist, (there is one in Montana), you won't be able to show it or talk about it on this board, and we really look forward to your talking about and testing your cannons with pics of smoke and fire.  I'm probably in trouble now, but I usually am, so what the hey?

We are so busy now, that we'll have to wait until next winter to do a winter project, but we sure do encourage some of you who have not posted before, to do so and show us what you're up to.  We really love those in-process photos as most members do.  Don't be afraid to show 'How your cannon is being made'.

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 01:28:06 PM »
Don't worry about offending me , if I had a little cash to spare , I would buy a Krupp Gun . Used up my budget buying the radius cutter from Kap . My winter project is ball molds . A lead GB in an injection molded plastic shell to fit my Mountian Howitzer . Armorer77

Offline VA Rifleman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 02:28:30 PM »
1. Re-finish the 2.25" CSA Mtn Rifle as the past owner let the barrel get scratched up.
2. Finish the trunnion caps on the 1841.
3. Cast Mtn Rifle projectiles.
4. Beg Dom for a dictator GB mortar.  ;D
Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.

Offline Owen

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 03:36:44 PM »
Since Im down under and spring has arrived :) .... not that it gets that cold here in winter .... have the widow blakley to finish then spend warm summer days at the range :)

Owen.
Artillery lends dignity to what would other wise be a vulgar brawl.

Offline robbob

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 04:03:48 PM »
Well........mostly I'll be waiting......But I know of at least a few things that Dom will be doing ;)

Offline rampa room artillery

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 04:00:31 AM »
 building a 2nd model praire limber, picking up two sets of 42 in wheels for the amish in Penn. maybe building another mortar sling cart with one set of the wheels or I will save them for another cannon..   still tryingto sell a 12lb mortar and building two 24 lb coehorns boxes and tools.  never enough time to do everything.

practice my mountain rifle more, in wichester va.  just went last weekend and fire laped the barrel,

rick bryan
  N-SSA

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 04:36:52 AM »
Winter?? ???
What's Winter?
It is supposed to be 90 degrees today.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 01:35:57 PM »
     Thanks for that vote of confidence, DD.  And we all know that Ed makes some fine cannons.  However, you may consider revising your order to be made by Ed to an 8-Inch Siege & Garrison Howitzer, Pattern 1840.  If he makes you a 1941 8 inch siege howitzer which does exist, (there is one in Montana), you won't be able to show it or talk about it on this board, and we really look forward to your talking about and testing your cannons with pics of smoke and fire.  I'm probably in trouble now, but I usually am, so what the hey?

We are so busy now, that we'll have to wait until next winter to do a winter project, but we sure do encourage some of you who have not posted before, to do so and show us what you're up to.  We really love those in-process photos as most members do.  Don't be afraid to show 'How your cannon is being made'.

Tracy and Mike

Yes you did catch he typo, but what would be the challenge is finding a typo in one of my posts.....on the other hand the drawings  I hold on the gun do indeed call it the 1841 of which 50 were made and 17 survive and these are not Green drawing but the AOP reprint of the Government drawing.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 02:58:11 PM »
Winter projects ?   :D  ;D

I'm still 5 winters or more behind !

Today I did finish up the KISS tube /trunion/fuse hole , now for the base .

I'm wanting to build some of the break open firecracker cannons . I think they are the cats mew  or is that meow ?
Perhaps a Mew is a quiet MEOW !
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Double D

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 03:14:35 PM »
Don't worry about offending me , if I had a little cash to spare , I would buy a Krupp Gun . Used up my budget buying the radius cutter from Kap . My winter project is ball molds . A lead GB in an injection molded plastic shell to fit my Mountian Howitzer . Armorer77

Given the brisk recoil of steel balls in GB gun's, I think lead would be on the ragged edge of excessive for these small guns...make a mould that will cast zinc Round ball...now that would interesting.

If you do a lead ball GB mould, you will need to make sure it drops a round ball of true golf ball diameter.  The seems to to be a large variance in GB gun bore diameters.  I have had to many problems with lead  projectiles 1 inch an larger to want to use them any longer. Besides excessive mass they deform to easily.

Give me zinc!  

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 04:05:52 PM »
I have been shooting lead balls from my Parrot for the last 2 years . Wheel weight alloy , same as my smaller handgun bullets . My GB mold casts a 1.680" ball with lead . Since I have a little background with injection plastic molding I thought to try casting a plactic shell around a lead ball to use in a 2.25" Mountian Howitzer . I have a hard time finding pool balls . I will be making steel molds . Don't know the shrinkage for zinc . This is the first time I will be able to make my own molds  , allowing experimentation without going broke . Armorer77

Offline Double D

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 05:53:08 PM »
I have been shooting lead balls from my Parrot for the last 2 years . Wheel weight alloy , same as my smaller handgun bullets . My GB mold casts a 1.680" ball with lead . Since I have a little background with injection plastic molding I thought to try casting a plactic shell around a lead ball to use in a 2.25" Mountian Howitzer . I have a hard time finding pool balls . I will be making steel molds . Don't know the shrinkage for zinc . This is the first time I will be able to make my own molds  , allowing experimentation without going broke . Armorer77

By all means continue...there are other who will jump on this

But I still want a source for zinc moulds for my purpose...there are other who share my interest. 

Another zinc mould that would be interesting now that you mention it, is one that cast zinc bolts for the Parrott rifle? Say for 1 inch bor to start.

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 01:30:06 PM »
If you have a print , I will give it a try . Armorer77

Offline Double D

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 05:16:17 PM »
I don't but I bet we could find one...any one know if the the  Parrot shell is dimensioned in the AOP Parrot gun plans.?

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 06:36:36 PM »
I gave No. 12 a cursory look and didn't find any shell drawings.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 04:01:16 AM »
Seems like bolts for a Parrott or similar gun would be practical to sand cast. Turn a form on the lathe and use it as your mold. Would it be worth doing though? Seems like they would tumble in smoothbores and they're way too hard to engage rifling in other tubes.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 08:29:15 AM »
You would have to include some style of expanding flange to engage the rifling.  Something like a Minie ball skirt.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline buzz36

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 09:33:46 AM »
winter prodject yes i need one my 1" cannon  i finished last winter been a real blast shooting it this one the barrel and trunions were done and i biult the carriage
now i like to biuld another one anyone have a sources for something under 1/2 scale size barrel
i found a couple places on the net but i want something safe
mikes's cannons and herd foundery are two im looking at i want another field cannon

Offline Double D

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 10:58:19 AM »
winter prodject yes i need one my 1" cannon  i finished last winter been a real blast shooting it this one the barrel and trunions were done and i biult the carriage
now i like to biuld another one anyone have a sources for something under 1/2 scale size barrel
i found a couple places on the net but i want something safe
mikes's cannons and herd foundery are two im looking at i want another field cannon

Take a look our sponsor's guns and see what they can do for youj.

Offline Double D

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 08:08:42 PM »
The harvest of over, deer season is closed and the deer that was hanging in th shop is cut up and put in the freezer and the heat is back on in there. 

I was working on inletting the base for a golf ball mortar today.  I have two of the sthat I am working on right now. 

If you have a project you are working share some picture with us and show us what you are doing.  You can post to the thread or open you on thread.

As soon as I get these two mortars done I have another  that I have started rounding up the material for....it's not oneo fthe projects i mention earlier, but is something I have done before except different.

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 03:46:49 AM »
I just made a new thunder mug, .75 cal.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Soot
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 04:06:12 AM »
Looks like a golf ball would set nicely on the mouth of your thunder mug .

Nice job .
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 11:23:23 AM »
Well, the only one I have planned right now is the one to the right's big brother. The one pictured is a .34 and thats ok, but the same seller also has a .56 with a little more to it. But who knows, they also have a Delgren, so I may end up with two to work on. Kits are nice, but damn I miss the woodshop in my dads basement.

Offline Lee1966

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 05:13:40 PM »
I am going to finish a cannon I got 5 years ago. And finish a GB Mortar I started 2 years ago. One of my biggest projects will be to get the headliner and other things done in my 1966 Chevelle.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Stats on my 1966 Chevelle.
350cid with Comp 280 mag cam, Erson 1.6 full roller rockers. Heads have been screw in studded and guide plated.

Holley  670 street avenger.
Carter hi performance pump with Russell 6an braided line and edelbeock inline fuel filter

Powerglide with a 2800 stall converter soon to have a Trans brake on it.

10 bolt posi 3.73 rear end. Cruises down the freeway @ 60 about 2600 rpm. Gets 10 to 12 mpg.

Flowmaster American Thunder header back exhaust kit.

Color is Gun mettle Gray with mother of pearl in the clear coat.

17 inch Boyd Coddington Legend Series  Junk Yard Dog wheels.

BF Goodrich G-Force T/A Tires
Front 225/ 45 ZR17  90Y
Rear  255/ 40 ZR17   94Y

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Double D

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 05:32:33 PM »
Put  a trailer hitch on the car and haul those guns over here next summer.  Maybe Al will let you  sleep in his shop.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 05:48:59 PM »
VERY cool cannon you have there!  What's the bore on the big one?
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Lee1966

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 05:59:24 PM »
Man I do not need to put a hitch on my Chevelle. Remember Doug them cars got a REAL trunk in them. Speaking of Al I saw him just before he headed back to Cut Bank. Man did he make a killing on buying out the guy in Spokane WA. I would love to go to his shop and use his lathe and mills there. You want to here a good one? He said somthing about retiring. LOL. That is one man that can not, be doing nothing. He wants to see the GB Mortar shoot. MT Golf for him.

Offline Lee1966

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 06:07:58 PM »
VERY cool cannon you have there!  What's the bore on the big one?

It is 1-5/8" I would like to bore it out to 1.700" GB size.